HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Another lovely blow to Aldermanic prerogative:

Zoning Board Approves Bucktown Hotel Project
With all due respect to the conventional wisdom of aldermanic prerogative, in this instance Scott Waguespack has every reason to be skeptical of this project's integrity.

The developer behind the project, MCM, is notorious throughout Wicker Park/Bucktown for their pay-to-play development practices that have left a lot of parcels near North/Damen/Milwaukee laden with strip malls (some only 1/2 block from the Damen El stop). MCM also tried to collude with the previous alderhole, Ted Matlak, in rushing through plans to rip down some historic warehouses that are adjacent to the very tower that he now intends to convert into a hotel, all the while attempting to leave the local community groups out of the picture.

So while a hotel in Northwest Tower couldn't be a better re-use of the building, IMO, I have my doubts about how lightly MCM will tread on the historic building within which it is to be held. Alderman Waguespack's main objection to the project was that there wasn't enough information presented by MCM in order to make a responsible decision for the go-ahead. Considering MCM's history of duplicity when it comes to presenting development information to the community, I have to wonder why they aren't being entirely transparent about the project. However, I really want a hotel in the area, and there really couldn't be a better spot for it, so I suppose I am ambivalent at this point and I am simply hoping for the best.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Have we learned nothing from the Boystown pylons???

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 7:17 PM

^Seriously. Those are awful. No elegance what-so-ever. They almost look like ravers' glow-sticks replete with ex-induced lockjaw chew toy. Hopefully it's just the mock-up...

However, considering that Congress is sort of a major gateway into the city, it wouldn't hurt to have some upgrades there. Especially since it looks sort of barren right now.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 8:10 PM

bollards. do. not like.

Everything else is fine. Hell just new sidewalks and crosswalks and some planters and trees is fine.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 8:42 PM

Wilson Yard developer lands financing for Uptown project

Wilson Yard developer lands financing for Uptown project
By: Andrew Schroedter Oct. 24, 2008

(Crain’s) — After years of delays, Chicago developer Peter Holsten has finally nailed down the financing to complete his long-awaited $151-million Wilson Yard project in Uptown. The city of Chicago has already agreed to provide Mr. Holsten with $51 million in tax increment financing for the Target Corp.-anchored project on Broadway between Montrose and Wilson avenues. And Minneapolis-based Target is contributing about $33 million.......................

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...21c440ec12b11e

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 8:53 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Ironic, after years of delays what a time to pin down financing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 9:05 PM

^^^ We keep hearing about this freeze in financing..but then this and Midway pops up...it is very confusing for a plain jane person like me to understand.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
^^^ We keep hearing about this freeze in financing..but then this and Midway pops up...it is very confusing for a plain jane person like me to understand.
are you insinuating a conspiracy theory?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 9:21 PM
Urbane observer

Yes, those are just photos from the manufacturer's factory. The actual bollards haven't yet been designed. They would be in the median planters, and probably wouldn't be topped with globes.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
are you insinuating a conspiracy theory?
On almost all things yes...but not this issue...lol. Like I said it is confusing to read in the press financial lock down...but then hear about 2 billion here and several million there getting through.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Wilson Yards have been moving for a month or so now, they have completely dug out the entire site by at least one story. It will be nice to have a Target right on the north branch of the Red Line, it will be very helpful for all the college students that live along it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 1:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Yes, those are just photos from the manufacturer's factory. The actual bollards haven't yet been designed. They would be in the median planters, and probably wouldn't be topped with globes.
Thank God. I hope I never see those nasty things again.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 1:34 AM

^ Right? What's with this lightshow obsession, anyway? Buckingham Fountain? This? The only place such a gimmicky display would fit is Ohio Street which has long since been given over to bright lights and cheesy signage .

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 3:37 AM
Urbane observer

The problem is that Congress has such different conditions along its length, with part in underpass, part with sidewalks of varying width, and part with arcaded sidewalks. Giving it a processional or ceremonial identity can't easily be done with trees or light standards, because those disappear for blocks at a time. But special lighting can be done (in different ways) along the entire length. It was one of the ideas that came up in the Friends of Downtown charrette in 2003.

Unless you're dining at Everest, Buckingham Fountain can't really be seen from the main part of Congress. But it's at least a nice conceptual link.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 5:02 AM
Registered

^ I am not opposed to lighting, in fact I do love tasteful lighting. I think it could tie the street together and perform its ceremonial task. It could also brighten the dark corners - Congress is still pretty eerie at night some times.

However, it's all in the implementation, and those photos - while thankfully preliminary - do not give me much hope at all. Congress is important enough where we need something truly sophisticated, elegant, and progressive. Some klutzy pylons consisting of LED shoved in chintzy acrylic tubes with PoMo globe things on top just doesn't cut it. And all of this color-changing stuff is going to look dated - oh, I don't know - maybe yesterday.

The whole digitization of Buckingham Fountain thing and new dancing water and crap, it just infuriates me. It's pretty hard to improve on Buckingham Fountain, aside from saving water (although the overspray to me is part of its charm), and I certainly didn't hear anyone complaining about it not being effective. It's also supposed to be a city landmark. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but I do so with great hesitation.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 5:39 AM

^ My thoughts exactly, though much better articulated.

"Special lighting" does not necessarily entail LED mood stones. For fuck's sake, get a few proposals from firms with a record of innovative design!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
This shows up in a couple renders. This is, somewhat famously, the Chicago Stock Exchange, both in its present incarnation as well as as an homage to the original incarnation. CBOT has no buildings south of Van Buren I believe. Rather embarrassing for the designers since CBOT (along with CME) is the marquee institution of the city's finance sector.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 2:51 PM
Urbane observer

Yes, at the first task force meeting, the manager of One Financial Place gently reminded the project manager that if the city wanted them to pay for the maintenance of the new landscaping, a good start would be to get the name of his building right. It didn't seem to take with CDOT staff, though.

As for the lighting, I wouldn't worry so much about it being cartoonish. I'm more worried about the various elements, including the trellises that will be illuminated, being overly elaborate and pseudo-Victorian. At the first meeting, I asked whether Congress--a result, after all, of the Plan of Chicago--would use the design vocabulary of obelisks and globes found on Wacker, Michigan, and Roosevelt. Janet Attarian's response was that Congress was a mid-century work, and the obelisks wouldn't be appropriate. That immediately made sense to me, but CDOT instead feels obligated to use pseudo Victorian light standards (the Gateway 2000) and the same 1910 subway entrance kiosk as Van Buren/Dearborn. Various trellis designs have been shown at the task force meetings, but I was surprised Thursday night to see a preliminary sketch of one with elaborate corn leaves and tassels, apparently to relate to the ornament on the Harold Washington Library Center.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Oct 25, 2008 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
The whole digitization of Buckingham Fountain thing and new dancing water and crap, it just infuriates me. It's pretty hard to improve on Buckingham Fountain, aside from saving water (although the overspray to me is part of its charm), and I certainly didn't hear anyone complaining about it not being effective. It's also supposed to be a city landmark. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but I do so with great hesitation.
I think it's right to be wary. The 1994 restoration so many people are complaining about was in fact only $2.8 million (funded by the endowment) in comparison to the current $25 million project, but that was focused on repairs to its marble cladding, replacement of the concrete substructure of the upper basin, and repair of its mechanical pump systems. But it also overhauled the electrical system, with special care to follow the artists original intent:

"The need to recreate the proper colors and intensity while staying true to the original artist's concept was ESD's main task. The original fixtures and lamps needed reinforcing in order to increase the amount of light and to counter the increase in city light that had developed over the years. (...) The fixtures were mounted in an area that was subject to splashing water from morning until night and needed to remain serviceable while the lenses matched the output of the original fixtures that were replaced during the 1950 renovation. (...) The new fixtures had a new source and lenses that matched the color but also delivered more light to counter balance the increased city light. ESD and the architect created the new colored lenses by staring into a light table, illuminated by daylight fluorescent lamps, and comparing the existing lenses or lense shards saved over the years with Roscoe color gels. ESD was able to recreate a complete match for all the original colors in the fountain due to this process. The selected colors were then turned over to a specialty glass company to formulate the specific colors and create the lenses for our newly designed fixtures."
-http://www.chiefengineer.org/content/content_display.cfm/seqnumber_content/1287.htm

Kate Buckingham "wanted the lighting to achieve an effect of "soft moonlight" by blending colors that would create an "ethereal, mystical aura."

However, the 1994 lighting design wasn't a restoration either. "The new program, said Joe Hoerner, the Chicago Park District's fountain restoration project manager, "evokes totally different emotions. It's more dynamic. . . . The design of lights relates to what's happening in the water. It used to be more random. Over the years, it became a little out of sync."

"We tried to document what the original light and water show was like when the fountain was built and first turned on in 1927," said Joe Hoerner, the Park District's preservation architect. "We wanted to replicate the show historically, but there was no way to know what was in the original show."

During the fountain's nine-month, $2.9 million restoration , Hoerner said, officials had hoped to restore its original light and water sequences but could find no documentation of them. So instead, they turned to the theater world.

Jefferson Award-winning theater designer John Culbert, a faculty member of DePaul University's Theater School, designed the light and water sequencing. The result, said Park District spokeswoman Sheryl Hislop, "is spectacular." "

"I wanted to create something elegant, not a rock 'n' roll laser light show," Culbert said. "We looked at the rhythm of how the light and water changes and created a storyboard series of sketches of routines the fountain could follow.

"The `looks' we developed took advantage of new lights and the new valves and spouts. That allowed us to create many different compositions I feel are quite clean and crisp in their look." (Tribune and Sun Times, 1994)

So now the new plan is going to revamp the lighting with Wet Design, known for the Bellagio, and "They're also debating between new lamps that show sharper colors and the yellowish, more romantic hues of the current lights."?

And the pavers sound like a done deal: "The site work includes the installation of an exciting, new permeable paver from Unilock with a granite chipped surface" (From TDA Planning website)

Sounds like that would contradict Buckingham's intent, as the paving issue arguably does. But the basin repair, treatment of seahorses and fences, and landscaping are all good things.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 9:49 PM
TL;DR

I don't understand the use of pavers. The current crushed rotten granite is already a permeable surface. Wasn't it supposed to be an ADA issue? There are several gravel products that claim to be ADA-compliant, which would allow for the look and feel of the granite to be maintained.

I think there's something else going on here. The blatant mention of "Unilock" in the project description makes me think that perhaps they are donating to the project somehow in exchange for permission to use the fountain in advertising materials...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development