HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:06 PM

Is that section marked "Market" on the right pushed back half way, or what? The space between the Sprint store and 100 6th Street is 9000 sq ft or so, so if this is 2 stories and pushed back halfway it would be 9000 sq ft. Seems a little small for a Sprouts, etc. I wonder if they intend for part of the Sprint store space to be dedicated towards a potential grocer.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
This is Viewpoint correct? I wish I could see it in color, I still think it looks better than how it looks now though.
Yep Viewpoint. You can see the proposed 8-story apartments on far left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
Is that section marked "Market" on the right pushed back half way, or what? The space between the Sprint store and 100 6th Street is 9000 sq ft or so, so if this is 2 stories and pushed back halfway it would be 9000 sq ft. Seems a little small for a Sprouts, etc. I wonder if they intend for part of the Sprint store space to be dedicated towards a potential grocer.
Yes. A new facade treatment is the only proposed changes for the grocer retail space.

Are you referring to the space behind what is now a blank wall as only 9,000 sq ft? If its only 9,000 sq ft, I'm not sure if it will work for Sprouts but I suppose that if a tenant required more space, they could build it out to 6th street.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Yep Viewpoint. You can see the proposed 8-story apartments on far left.

Yes. A new facade treatment is the only proposed changes for the grocer retail space.

Are you referring to the space behind what is now a blank wall as only 9,000 sq ft? If its only 9,000 sq ft, I'm not sure if it will work for Sprouts but I suppose that if a tenant required more space, they could build it out to 6th street.
Yes, where right now there is just a blank wall that rendering makes it look as if there is new retail built out about half way towards 6th. Is that the case?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
Yes, where right now there is just a blank wall that rendering makes it look as if there is new retail built out about half way towards 6th. Is that the case?

Okay I found a site plan, so this should explain what Loudermilk is proposing. The space in question does not appear large enough for a Sprouts but would work for a Savi Urban Market or something similar.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Okay I found a site plan, so this should explain what Loudermilk is proposing. The space in question does not appear large enough for a Sprouts but would work for a Savi Urban Market or something similar.

Personally, I think the void on the 6th street side would be more successful and more well received as a restaurant patio (albeit a HUGE one) than a surface lot. As we have all pointed out, the excessive parking is ridiculous. But a patio would have made use of the space without the expense of building out the street.

However, if an urban market does make its way into the new 6th street retail spot, I would hope that it would become so successful that a buildout to the street would be the next step. Death to the surface lot!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:22 PM

Awful surface lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadK View Post
Personally, I think the void on the 6th street side would be more successful and more well received as a restaurant patio (albeit a HUGE one) than a surface lot. As we have all pointed out, the excessive parking is ridiculous. But a patio would have made use of the space without the expense of building out the street.

However, if an urban market does make its way into the new 6th street retail spot, I would hope that it would become so successful that a buildout to the street would be the next step. Death to the surface lot!
I'm amazed that they can get away with that awful surface lot that is in direct view from the street. If I understand this correctly, anyone walking along 6th would see that lot right next to the sidewalk. I thought Midtown zoning wouldn't allow a new surface lot facing the street. I wouldn't mind it as much if the surface lot was hidden from the street by the retail building, but this is awful.

simms, I don't agree with everything you say about Atlanta, but only in Atlanta could an asinine design like this get passed. Two steps forward, one step back.

Maybe I just don't understand the plan correctly and it's hidden from street view. I'm not an architect.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I'm amazed that they can get away with that awful surface lot that is in direct view from the street. If I understand this correctly, anyone walking along 6th would see that lot right next to the sidewalk. I thought Midtown zoning wouldn't allow a new surface lot facing the street. I wouldn't mind it as much if the surface lot was hidden from the street by the retail building, but this is awful.

simms, I don't agree with everything you say about Atlanta, but only in Atlanta could an asinine design like this get passed. Two steps forward, one step back.

Maybe I just don't understand the plan correctly and it's hidden from street view. I'm not an architect.
I think you understand it perfectly. This is already a surface lot, only without the parking. Zoning cannot force them to build something there and they are making an investment that, other than the parking, will GREATLY improve the street level experience in this area.

Hopefully some tenant will require enough square footage that the space will be built out to 6th street as it should have been from the beginning. Otherwise at some point down the road, when Midtown retail is much more lucrative, the space will get built out. I'm not defending this as a great plan, I'm just saying that this is the reality of street-level retail in Atlanta at this time.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:42 PM

Boy, I like the way the new Hyatt (old Hotel Midtown) is looking so far. Can't wait to see when they finish the 10th Street entrance.

The new Midtown Mile light post banners are kind of cool. I noticed three different designs today.

I still miss Azio but looking forward to the new sandwich shop -- not sure about that name, though: Villians.

Lot's of pedestrians out and about

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 6:53 PM

New Towers...

Hello everyone, I live in Phoenix now but I am an Atlanta metro native. I constantly keep up with the Atlanta forum for all of the latest updates and changes in and around Atlanta. Atlanta has changed so much since I was there! I vividly remember going to the top of the Peachtree Plaza as a kid with my father - at the time the Peachtree Plaza Hotel was the tallest building in Atlanta! Then in the early '80's I was excited to see the construction of the GP building rise to almost as tall as the Peachtree Plaza. I was (and still am) officially "addicted" to all architecture, skyscrapers, etc. that continued to change the Atlanta skyline throughout the years all the way up to present time in 2013. I apologize, I don't want to bore anyone with my biography! Are there any new towers planned for Midtown at this time? Proposed, approved, etc.? Thank you in advance for any new info and thank you for your time...
OZ...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ1970 View Post
Hello everyone, I live in Phoenix now but I am an Atlanta metro native. I constantly keep up with the Atlanta forum for all of the latest updates and changes in and around Atlanta. Atlanta has changed so much since I was there! I vividly remember going to the top of the Peachtree Plaza as a kid with my father - at the time the Peachtree Plaza Hotel was the tallest building in Atlanta! Then in the early '80's I was excited to see the construction of the GP building rise to almost as tall as the Peachtree Plaza. I was (and still am) officially "addicted" to all architecture, skyscrapers, etc. that continued to change the Atlanta skyline throughout the years all the way up to present time in 2013. I apologize, I don't want to bore anyone with my biography! Are there any new towers planned for Midtown at this time? Proposed, approved, etc.? Thank you in advance for any new info and thank you for your time...
OZ...
Here's a few that I've pulled together so far: Midtown Developments

Also, there are some more on this development map.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 1:09 PM

999 Peachtree sold, and maybe a Walgreens coming to one of the empty retail spaces:
http://midtown.patch.com/articles/99...or-158-million

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
This is Viewpoint correct? I wish I could see it in color, I still think it looks better than how it looks now though.
Here ya go.

I have no clue how it would work but looks as if they plan on combining what is now the Sprint store space with some other space on that side for the urban market. Also, the space above the Sprint store is clearly designed for a restaurant or cafe.

Larger Image
http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/ima...ee-6th-867.jpg

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Mar 27, 2013 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 7:00 PM

StreetsAlive is this Sunday, May 19, 2PM - 6PM, on Peachtree Street from Downtown through Midtown.
http://www.atlantastreetsalive.com/
https://www.facebook.com/events/446082172128137/

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Here ya go.

I have no clue how it would work but looks as if they plan on combining what is now the Sprint store space with some other space on that side for the urban market. Also, the space above the Sprint store is clearly designed for a restaurant or cafe.

Larger Image
http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/ima...ee-6th-867.jpg
when are they going to start this? this will completely fill out the block, along with 100 6th street. that's rare for atlanta!

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
when are they going to start this? this will completely fill out the block, along with 100 6th street. that's rare for atlanta!
The area that says "Market" on the right is the current site of the 100 6th St. construction offices and access for concrete trucks. I would imagine once they're finished with the structure and working on interior / the parking deck on the other side we might see Loudermilk get started.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 7:46 PM

More momentum for 12th & Midtown:
Conway MacKenzie Inc. Moves Atlanta Office to 12th & Midtown

The article doesn't say where they're moving from, but from a Google search it looks like they're currently in Sandy Springs.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 9:46 PM

Raw Denim Boutique Moving

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 11:03 PM
She needs her space

Has anyone observed an uptick in pedestrian activity since Skyhouse and 77 12th opened? Skyhouse is stabilized now and well over 90% leased (perhaps over 95%). 77 12th has residents now moving into the first 5-8 residential floors with the rest ready for move in by October. So Midtown should have at least 300-400 new residents...Also Hyatt is opening this month - I know of a group staying at the hotel even before official opening, which should add some traffic potentially. And what's the parking situation at Henry's (Dewberry lot behind/beneath the restaurant?)? Are people walking to Henry's, and if so, is there a visible stream between Peachtree and Juniper/Piedmont? Or are more people probably parking still?

Finally, has anyone noticed any sort of permit issuances or actual buildout commencing for the retail/restaurant space at 77 12th?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Has anyone observed an uptick in pedestrian activity since Skyhouse and 77 12th opened? Skyhouse is stabilized now and well over 90% leased (perhaps over 95%). 77 12th has residents now moving into the first 5-8 residential floors with the rest ready for move in by October. So Midtown should have at least 300-400 new residents...Also Hyatt is opening this month - I know of a group staying at the hotel even before official opening, which should add some traffic potentially. And what's the parking situation at Henry's (Dewberry lot behind/beneath the restaurant?)? Are people walking to Henry's, and if so, is there a visible stream between Peachtree and Juniper/Piedmont? Or are more people probably parking still?

Finally, has anyone noticed any sort of permit issuances or actual buildout commencing for the retail/restaurant space at 77 12th?
The pedestrian activity is just about what you will observe the next time you go home to Riverside/Avondale.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 6:48 AM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

I have noticed A LOT more people walking around the last few months... A LOT!!! lol

I think we are going to see Midtown forever change for the better. Retail and food will slowly open and towers will get built over time. It will only get better. I can't wait to see Downtown and Midtown all along P'tree merge and become more active. Now if we could just get some stuff built around BOF and around that area then it would all start to fill up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta