HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 7:45 PM

Question Skyscraper/Supertall Bldg. Design Question

I have a general question for some of the pros on here about skyscraper design, and where we might see the designs of future supertall buildings here in the U.S. go. I personally love all things art deco, and I especially love the Empire State building and Chrysler building, more for their styles than their height. They seemed to use a big combination of bricks, steel, and concrete in addition to the ornate, graceful designs of the buildings. Later, from the 60s until basically the 90s skyscrapers here in the U.S. were very bland looking. I have heard people refer to the old Twin Towers as gothic modernist. Today, in such places as the Far East, and Middle East, skyscrapers seem to reflect cultural elements. My question is, where do you all see skyscraper design going in this country? The new One WTC seems to be a kind of mix between sleek modern and subtle hints at the past designs. Assuming we get back into the skyscraper game wholeheartedly, I wonder what kinds of design trends will prevail, or if it will be a hodgepodge of different styles.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture