HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 12:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
WOAI is the hick conservative station holding the city back.....
Yes, a news station that is number three in the ratings, behind KSAT and KENS 5, is "holding" San Antonio back.

And I'm supposed to re-read what I posted?

Last edited by DerekfrmSA; Aug 16, 2005 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 4:15 AM

So WOAI Radio is no longer the leading Talk Station in SA?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 11:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
Are we talking TV or radio?

There's News 4 WOAI the NBC station (formerly KMOL) and then there's WOAI 1200 the radio station, both owned by Clear Channel.

http://www.woai.com

I'm pretty sure KTSA gets better ratings than WOAI on the AM dial.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekfrmSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
Are we talking TV or radio?

There's News 4 WOAI the NBC station (formerly KMOL) and then there's WOAI 1200 the radio station, both owned by Clear Channel.

http://www.woai.com

I'm pretty sure KTSA gets better ratings than WOAI on the AM dial.
WRONG again......

While NewsRadio 1200 WOAI, a full service news, talk and sports station with a heavy commitment to local news and the San Antonio Spurs is by far the highest rated spoken word radio station in San Antonio, KRPT Operations Manager Nate Lundy pointed out that number two in the market is National Public Radio. A gaggle of other talk and news talk stations get much lower ratings.

Lol...so you still don't get it....okay moving on......

Whole News Story:

Liberal Talk Radio Begins Today in SA
LAST UPDATE: 3/17/2005 10:26:54 PM
Posted By: Jim Forsyth
This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

The city's first ever FM talk radio station is also the first programmed with progressive talk, officials of Clear Channel Communications announced.

KRPT will sign on the air this morning at 8AM on 92.5FM. The station is currently called KHTY and formats urban and hip hop music.

"This is going to be exciting," Clear Channel Vice President and Market Manager Tom Glade said. "Progressive Talk is one of the fastest growing formats in the country and we are thrilled to bring this innovative new programming to San Antonio."

While NewsRadio 1200 WOAI, a full service news, talk and sports station with a heavy commitment to local news and the San Antonio Spurs is by far the highest rated spoken word radio station in San Antonio, KRPT Operations Manager Nate Lundy pointed out that number two in the market is National Public Radio. A gaggle of other talk and news talk stations get much lower ratings.

"You have to remember that 44 percent of Bexar County voted for John Kerry last November," Lundy said. "These are people who are crying out for talk radio. This indicated to us that the San Antonio area is long overdue for a progressive talk station."

The first show aired on KRPT will be hosted by Jerry Springer, the former Cincinnati mayor who is best known for his wild TV show featuring the antics of transvestites, hookers, and lost loves.

"The radio show is not what people would stereotype from Springer's TV show," Lundy said. "He has a political background and he has the ability to discuss politics and pop culture while being entertaining at the same time."

Veteran local talker Ron Aaron has been signed to host a three hour show on Saturdays and Sundays, with a time to be determined, Lundy said.

Other personalities to appeal on KRPT will include Phil Hendrie and Lionel, both of whom have enjoyed success on WOAI, and Ed Schultz, a talk host Lundy describes as 'energetic and opinionated.'

Prominent activist Jesse Jackson's Sunday show "Keep Hope Alive With the Rev. Jesse Jackson" will also air on KRPT.

While progressive talk is new to San Antonio, it is also relatively new to Clear Channel. The San Antonio based company boasts a stable of established syndicated talkers including Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Laura Schlesinger, and Glenn Beck. KRPT will be the 24th progressive talk station introduced by Clear Channel, which is the nation's largest operator of radio stations, and it will be the fourth to host Springer's new radio program.

Lundy pointed out that progressive talk has found a solid niche. The progressive talk radio station in Portland Oregon ranked first among the key 25-54 year old age group in the most recent ratings.

Lundy says placing the station on FM will also add to its attractiveness.

"I think it'll be fun," he said. "I think the audience is definitely there for this kind of radio station in San Antonio."

KHTY's sister station KSJL-AM 810 will continue to offer urban adult contemporary hits and Tom Joyner on weekday mornings.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Lol...so you still don't get it....okay moving on......
Moderation note: Typical San Antonio forumer comment has been edited.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekfrmSA
Edited by moderation.
I apologized:

"So it was and is UNFAIR of me to make huge blanket statements against the City of San Antonio.....because again its only a small minority...that keeps the city back."

I pointed out your were incorrect about WOAI radio with a factual article and you call me a condescending asshole?

How old are you Derek?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 5:48 PM

Pat Booker Rd - UC Texas

Does anyone have any pictures of Pat Booker Rd near the Randolph Main Gate running then running towards I-35? I had heard they were landscaping it and was wondering how it turned out.

Thanks.

P.S. 2nd Question. Is Windsor Park Mall totally empty now or is something happening inside?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2005, 7:10 PM
The Space Pope

^^^
I sort of know what you mean about the hick media. In the Express-News there is an annoying columnist named Roddy Stinson. He considers himself a "whistle-blower" or "watchdog" yet only bitches and whines anytime the city spends money for upgrades and improvements, most notably against light-rail, against river improvements and against the Convention Center Hotel. He is also against San Antonio funding the arts. His vision for the city is to keep it like a giant Cotulla with no funding for arts or education....no growth...no culture.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2005, 2:06 AM

Roddy Stinson!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2005, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Valero nails down cash for big acquisition

Vicki Vaughan
Express-News Business Writer

Valero Energy Corp. is taking steps to complete its purchase of Premcor Inc. — a move that will make it North America's biggest refiner — by securing $4.5 billion in loans, a company spokesman said Friday.

San Antonio-based Valero announced April 24 that it planned to purchase Connecticut-based Premcor for $8 billion, including assumption of debt. With the new loans, Valero is prepared to close its purchase of Premcor as soon as Sept. 1, subject to approval by the Federal Trade Commission, Valero spokesman Greg Matula said.

Bloomberg News, quoting unnamed sources, said Bank of America Corp. and BNP Paribas SA arranged a $2 billion term loan for Valero, while JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Royal Bank of Canada arranged a $2.5 billion revolving line of credit.

Matula confirmed the loan amounts, saying the revolving credit line represents $750 million increases in two existing lines of credit, money that will be used to pay for expenses after the acquisition.

The $2 billion loan is a term loan to be used to purchase Premcor.

Now Valero is poised to become North America's largest refiner as it waits for a deadline with regulators to expire. If the FTC files no objection to its merger plans by Aug. 31 and seeks no more information from it or Premcor, the merger can go forward, Matula said.

The boards of both companies already have approved the merger.

The deal between Valero and Premcor, based in Old Greenwich, Conn., would boost Valero's crude-oil refining capacity almost 800,000 barrels a day to about 3.3 million barrels a day, vaulting it past the two biggest refiners now: Exxon Mobil Corp., with more than 2.5 million barrels a day, and ConocoPhillips, 2.2 million barrels a day.

Premcor would add four refineries to Valero's 14, including large plants in Port Arthur and Delaware City, Del.

Valero has been expanding for years. Since 1998, it has spent about $8 billion buying 14 refineries. When the Premcor acquisition is completed, the company's annual revenue will be about $70 billion, ranking it 15th on the Fortune 500.

LINK TO MYSA.COM ARTICLE

Old Posted Aug 23, 2005, 2:55 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

Oh wait......ah..............and they're based in San Antonio! haha I LOVE San Antonio!!!!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2005, 7:31 PM
James

How many fortune 500 companies are located here? I know there is a list somewhere, or is Valero it...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2005, 11:43 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185
How many fortune 500 companies are located here? I know there is a list somewhere, or is Valero it...
For 2003. I couldn't find one for 2005. Can anyone else?

Unless I missed one, there's 5 listed. I'd bet there's more though. They only had 2 listed for Austin in 2003, and I remember hearing ealier this year in the business section that Austin has 4 now. Dell, (technically based in Round Rock), Temple Inland, Whole Foods, and Freescale.

33. SBC Communications Inc., San Antonio, 27, $40.843
34. Valero Energy Corp, San Antonio, 55, $37.969
185. United Services Automobile Association, San Antonio, 199, $10.593
229. Clear Channel Communications Inc., San Antonio, 219, $8.931
237. Tesoro Petroleum Corp., San Antonio, 263, $8.718

See the entire list here.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...500-list_x.htm

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 24, 2005, 1:51 AM
BANNED

HEB isn't a F500? I thought they were.

I think Rackspace might be as well.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 4:51 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

City OKs $20 million for airport
Web Posted: 08/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Patrick Driscoll
Express-News Staff Writer

The City Council on Thursday approved more than $20 million in contracts and grants to expand and fix San Antonio International Airport.

(Jerry Lara/Express-News)

San Antonio International Airport's Terminal 2 is slated for demolition after another terminal opens in 2008.

Noting the enormous amount of money that will be spent on airport improvements, council members said they need to keep a close eye on the project as it proceeds, even though no local tax money will be used.

Councilman Chip Haass said there are already reports that airport officials are over budget, behind schedule and about to set loose a firestorm of construction confusion.

"We've got to make sure we watch these dollars closely," he said.

The council approved $12.8 million in contracts to start work and accepted a $7.6 million federal grant to do more.

But that's just a small fraction of what lies ahead.

One of the contracts kicks off a $425 million plan to expand the airport by a third within six years, building two terminals, another parking garage and runway extensions.

The first terminal and the garage are expected to be completed by 2008, after which one of the two existing terminals will be torn down.

Airport officials said project bids have so far come in under estimates and work will start on time in a few weeks.

But construction will cause detours, shift some parking and cause other disorientating changes, said Roland Lozano, an assistant to the city manager who is overseeing the airport while a search continues for an airport manager.

The airport will soon launch an effort to keep travelers abreast of the construction maze and offer tips to navigate it. Brochures, posters and a revamped Web site will be part of the mix.

"I know you have a plan but I'd like to see what it is," Haass said.

Councilman Richard Perez questioned whether the airport's 5 percent set aside for cost overruns on projects is enough, noting that public works sets aside 10 percent.

Lozano said it wouldn't be a problem to give the council updates at least every quarter.

Users pay for airport improvements through a federal aviation fuel tax, airline ticket fees and airport rental and landing fees, and that's "much more pleasant" than using local taxes, Mayor Phil Hardberger said.

The projects approved Thursday include relocation of utilities for the first new terminal and apron improvements.

The grant, along with matching airport funds, will be used to build an apron for the future terminal and insulate up to 100 homes from airport noise.

Airport officials already have money on hand to insulate up to 300 homes. That program will start in a few months.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 6:58 PM
Meh

HEB's mostly a Texas company. They may have a few stores outside of Texas in the "Four States", New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. I was surprised at that too at first. Being much older, and seemingly larger than Whole Foods. Whole Foods though has gone international. Still the only place we go to is HEB. All the other stores like Albertsons and Randals rub me the wrong way.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 7:01 PM
Meh

By the way here's a bit of news. I've already made the name change at Skyscrapers.com.

From the San Antonio Business Journal

Radisson Airport Hotel gets a new name
W. Scott Bailey

The Hotel Group Inc., which purchased the Radisson San Antonio Airport Hotel two years ago, has announced that it is rebranding the property as the Crowne Plaza San Antonio Airport Hotel.

The 226-room full-service hotel is located at 1111 NE Loop 410 -- two miles from San Antonio International Airport and 15 minutes from downtown. It features 4,000 square feet of meeting space, a swimming pool, an exercise room and a restaurant.

"We're seizing the opportunity to bring affordable luxury to the business traveler through the established Crowne Plaza brand," hotel General Manager Judy Hatch says. "Our location in San Antonio's corporate center and this new affiliate allows the hotel to best serve our guests."

In October 2003, the hotel underwent a $4 million renovation, which included a new lobby, increased meeting space, swimming-pool upgrades and the addition of the Cilantro! Restaurant and Bar. The guest rooms were completely refurbished as well.

There is now a "Quiet Zone" on the ninth floor, which features complimentary eye masks, sleep CD, lavender oil, and a night light. Two concierge-level floors will now be converted into Crowne Plaza Club floors, which include use of the private lounge, complimentary evening hors d'oeuvres and a fresh continental breakfast.

Established in 1984, it now owns and manages 30 properties in 11 states, including Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Tennessee and Texas.

The company currently has 14 different franchise brands in its portfolio, including Hilton, Marriott, Radisson, Holiday Inn, Sheraton and Hampton Inn. Its headquarters are located in Edmonds, Wash.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 9:31 PM
BANNED

HEB has stores in Mexico as well.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2005, 3:05 PM

That makes H.E.B. international as well.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2005, 6:16 PM
Spurs Fan in Mavs Land

I love HEB and wish they would open stores here in the DFW area. There are 3 Central Markets with a 4th being built in Southlake but the closest regular HEB stores are down in Waxahachie, Ennis, or Cleburne...still part of the DFW metro but quite a drive south if you live in the northern suburbs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations