HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 7:16 AM

@Wagnel, since you apparently live in the Gables, how did they resolve their CVC oops? That amenity center on top of the parking garage looked pretty cool in the original renderings. Did they scrap it, or just redesign it?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 11:52 PM

Picture update from 9/12/14

(click for large image)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 2:54 AM

Awesome. Thanks, Kevin. I love these shots. I figured it was just that little strip that they had paved. Can't wait 'til all the roads are connected and we're able to walk/drive down them.

Speaking of roads, that little piece of Walter Seaholm Dr. in front of the power station is open now, connecting to West 2nd St (in front of Gables). You can get a much better look at Seaholm now. There was a big hole in the fence. I fantasized about going in and looking around last night, but didn't feel like going to jail.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 5:22 AM

Looks like they are pouring the last garage floor.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 AM

Another picture update from 9/16/14
(click for large images)

They have been working hard on 2nd street between San Antonio and Nueces.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:22 AM

Today.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:42 PM

Is it just me, or are they going to have to really hustle to deliver units by next summer as advertised?

They've got about 20 floors more to go before topping out, and I'm guessing that the residential floors are more complex than the parking floors. Seems like they'd have to complete a floor every other week to stay on pace, and it doesn't seem to be moving quite that quickly, at least of late.

I'm not familiar with logistics of big projects like this. Does the whole building need a certificate of occupancy before any unit can be delivered?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxdweller View Post
Is it just me, or are they going to have to really hustle to deliver units by next summer as advertised?

They've got about 20 floors more to go before topping out, and I'm guessing that the residential floors are more complex than the parking floors. Seems like they'd have to complete a floor every other week to stay on pace, and it doesn't seem to be moving quite that quickly, at least of late.

I'm not familiar with logistics of big projects like this. Does the whole building need a certificate of occupancy before any unit can be delivered?
It's always seemed to me that the pace picks up once a development gets past the garage levels. The resident levels will have a smaller footprint and don't need to bear as much weight. That will surely help things go faster as there's less concrete to pour. They aren't dealing with parking ramps and whatnot either. I would imagine those take a fair amount of work. I'm sure somebody who knows more that I could provide more knowledgeable insight though.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
It's always seemed to me that the pace picks up once a development gets past the garage levels. The resident levels will have a smaller footprint and don't need to bear as much weight. That will surely help things go faster as there's less concrete to pour. They aren't dealing with parking ramps and whatnot either. I would imagine those take a fair amount of work. I'm sure somebody who knows more that I could provide more knowledgeable insight though.
Definitely, when Bowie was under construction it really crawled along at a snail pace until they finished the garage levels and then it really shot up fairly quickly.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 5:48 PM

Interesting--I knew the garage levels would require more concrete for load purposes, but figured the upper floors would involve more complex forming in order to deal with utilities, vent chases, etc.

But I don't really know the first thing about how these buildings go together--I guess at this point, they can just form a bunch of columns, pour a floor, and either form or cut holes in it?

Anyone know how long a given pouring has to cure before it can bear the load of another floor? I know some concretes require as much as 30 days to develop maximum strength, but there are lots of variables.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 7:20 PM

The residential floors have a slightly smaller surface area. But yeah it looks like they're going to be hard-pressed to meet that goal. It's possible they could be finished by late summer. That would give them almost a year.

This last floor is bigger than the rest. Does that mean it's the last parking garage floor?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
The residential floors have a slightly smaller surface area. But yeah it looks like they're going to be hard-pressed to meet that goal. It's possible they could be finished by late summer. That would give them almost a year.

This last floor is bigger than the rest. Does that mean it's the last parking garage floor?
What they're pouring now should be the floor for the amenities/pool level.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 10:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

We're at the point where both Seaholm Residency and North Shore Tower are going to really shoot up quickly and make a visible impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:31 PM

Moar fotos.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 3:47 AM

Cladding is starting to go up on the garage levels.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 4:03 AM

Friday November 28, 2014

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 3:07 AM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 3:48 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
It would be nice if they restored those tracks at the lower right by the street nearly covered over by the grass and have the rail line extended from the Convention Center to Seaholm and eventually the Lonestar Rail line...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 9:49 PM

Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It would be nice if they restored those tracks at the lower right by the street nearly covered over by the grass and have the rail line extended from the Convention Center to Seaholm and eventually the Lonestar Rail line...
I have been thinking that this strange area between the Gables and the Seaholm development would be a great place for a passenger station once the freight lines have been relocated east of town. The big electric towers and the substation need to go away anyway. It looks like Trader Joes and such will have a street that parallels the existing 3rd Street, and I don't know how all that is going to work.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 10:24 PM

12/27

From I-35

From the congress bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin