HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 10:24 PM

Portrait of the Peninsula Pt. 1

As promised, I've decided to expand... This is part one of a four part set on the peninsula, which stretches from Daly City to Palo Alto. The first two parts will focus on the "flats" of the peninsula (ie by 101) and the next two will be on the hills (ie by 280).

Despite being the largest city on the peninsula other than San Francisco, San Mateo is a fairly low-key city. It has one of the most developed and lively downtowns on the peninsula and is the only true satellite city in San Mateo County other than Redwood City. It has a similar socio-economic mix to other cities on the peninsula; around 101 is very working class but the further up the hill you go the wealthier it gets. North Central and Shoreview (not featured in this thread) are the heart of the latino, pacific islander and black community of San Mateo.

I'm sure all of us here have heard of East Palo Alto, be it from "Dangerous Minds" or from the dubious distinction as the murder capital of America in 1992. The obvious question for most who are unfamiliar with it will amount to, "What's changed since 1992?" Well, the demographics have done a 180 for starters... EPA (East Palo Alto) has gone from 90% black to 70% Latino in less than 10 years. What happened to trigger such a drastic demographic change? Simple: Modesto, Stockton, Antioch, etc. happened. The majority of the upwardly mobile black families left to stretch their dollars further and latino families came in to capitalize on the (relatively) cheap housing that was left over. It remains a conundrum that what would be widely considered as prime real estate in different circumstances - it's right next to the Dumbarton for East Bay commuting, it has great weather, it's right on the bay - is instead seen as the ghetto of the peninsula. There has been a recent resurgence and effort to gentrify in the SE corner of the city around the Ravenswood Shopping Center, but its reputation is enough to keep many prospective buyers and renters away.

The fact that a city like Palo Alto exists an overpass away from a city like EPA highlights the socio-economic segregation that is prevalent in the Bay Area. Again, I'm sure all of you have heard of Palo Alto and the almost intoxicating amount of wealth that exists within it - not to mention Stanford - so I won't bore you with another paragraph.

Anyway, here's the pics.

San Mateo

Central

Downtown

North Central

Downtown (Continued)

Central (Continued)

North Central (Continued)

Downtown (Continued)

East Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Downtown North

Menlo Park

Redwood City

Thanks for viewing my thread. All feedback is appreciated and will be returned.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 11:17 PM

Thanks! My in-laws are from Hillsborough & San Mateo, so I have been to some of these areas. Great to see the pictures. Did you take the train?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Thanks! My in-laws are from Hillsborough & San Mateo, so I have been to some of these areas. Great to see the pictures. Did you take the train?

Yup... I'm originally from the peninsula (Redwood City) so I'm also familiar with all of it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 3:48 AM
International

thanks for the extensive, in-depth tour. palo alto looks fantastic!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:57 PM

^No problem. I actually only covered a fraction of Palo Alto or East Palo Alto so I'll have to come back eventually.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 10:19 PM

I like this house. It looks like a vacation house. I would expect it to be near a lake or beach.

Last edited by Expat; Jun 24, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 11:43 PM

Yes Sir...!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 9:49 PM

Hey, I really really like the photos. Great shots! Beautiful series. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 3:07 AM

You've got some really nice shots in here. Good work.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 2:49 PM

Nice pictures. San Mateo looks like a pretty nice place. Are there any somewhat tall buildings there or is Downtown pretty small? With a population of almost 100,000, it looks like a much smaller town from your commercial district pictures.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 12:25 AM

San Mateo!! That's my place! It's got to have the highest number of ramen restaurants per capita of any place in the country...precisely why I love it.

@xzmattzx - there are a number of mid rise office buildings and apartment towers clustered around the main (autocentric) drag, El Camino Real. The actual downtown area is more human scaled and surprisingly vibrant.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 11:36 PM

Great pics! Though being part of the San Francisco Bay Area (ie., "Metro" San Francisco), the Peninsula cities really are individual towns each with their own character, unlike, say, a lot of suburban Los Angeles, where many towns blend in with one another and are nearly indistinguishable from each other, apart from their street sign designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

Despite being the largest city on the peninsula other than San Francisco, San Mateo is a fairly low-key city.
I always thought that Daly City was the largest city on the Peninsula (apart from San Francisco, of course).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 6:36 AM

^You are correct... San Mateo is the second largest city on the peninsula. I was mistaken.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 6:28 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

I don't know why but San Mateo has a beachy feel to it...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 10:29 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Great set! I've always felt downtown San Mateo was quite underrated. Like blade_bltz said, it's very human-scaled, and that's true over many blocks in every direction -- not just a single strip on a main drag. Some excellent restaurants to be found there too.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos