HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 11:25 PM
Closed account

Marquette, MI

Hopefully people can forgive my amateurish photo-taking abilities, but I thought I would share some photos of what is probably a little-known city to most on this forum. Marquette only has a population of about 25,000, but as the largest city on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, it is a regional centre with a large hospital and university.

I am only visiting on business, so I don't know a whole lot about the city. I was impressed by the historic buildings dotting the city which seem far more extraordinary when considering that Marquette's history is largely as a resource town, serving as the port for the nearby iron mines.

These are the old ore docks, no longer in use, but the first of their kind in the world. Rail cars full of iron ore would travel over the structure and dump the ore into chutes which direct it onto the ship.

I'm perplexed by this building. It now seems to be used for offices, but the tower seems somewhat out-of-place for an office building. The tower suggests it may have previously been a church, but the rest of the building seems to lack any obvious sanctuary space. Anyone have any ideas?

The sign says Upper Michigan Motors Corporation. I wonder if this is what an early car dealership looked like. If so, it makes me sad to see what they used to be compared to what they have become.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:03 AM

Interesting to see. Thanks for posting!

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 3:36 AM
somewhere in-between

Like this one a lot:

I spent my entire childhood in Michigan and never once spent any real amount of time in Marquette. Thank you for bringing this much-unknown city some much-deserved attention.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 3:36 PM
Beer Stampede

Not a bad small thread. Thanks for posting this!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos