HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I agree, like the concept of Uber more then I like Uber itself. They certainly have gotten a lot deserved bad press as of late. Think a tighter regulated version of what Uber is now is needed in our market. Looking forward to reading what is going to be proposed.
There is also Lyft which SEEMS to have a "better" corporate image than Uber.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:19 AM

My opinion:

- The Province will reduce what the cities can impose on Taxi's and Ride-hailing companies so that the cities can demand pick-up fees, or restrict surge pricing, but can't restrict the number of Taxi's operating only by App.

- The Province will probably require a restricted class 4 or better license, which is already what it says:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...and-types.aspx

Quote:
Class 4 (restricted)
Taxis
What you can use it for:
- To drive taxis and limousines (up to 10 persons including the driver)
- To drive passengers for payment, for a service such as Uber or Lyft
- To drive ambulances
- To drive special vehicles with a seating capacity of not more than 10 persons (including the driver) used to transport people with disabilities
- To drive any vehicle in Class 5
They may require that all classes of Uber, including UberX to be class 4, and honestly this doesn't seem like a very high hurdle.

If they allow all Class 5 drivers to do UberX, then we're in for a problem. Maybe a Class 5 (commercial restricted) could be devised that requires a License Plate Decal and Window decal to indicate that it's a "For Hire" Taxi in lieu of a Class 4 requirement of applying to the Passenger Safety Board.

Honestly I imagine that they will just change the Class 4 license to have pre-approved "For Hire" App-based ride hailing as an alternative, and Taxi plates would only apply to Taxi fleet cars.

If BC wants to get the jump on safety, they should require dash/cab cams connected to the vehicle's CANBUS in all Taxi vehicles as the minimum requirement for insurance of a Taxi.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I dunno about this. I like using uber when I travel but i'm now more aware of uber, at least, trying to gain market share in the US by acting like a pirate of late, falsely advertising pay rates to potential drivers, making money off onerous leases from their drivers and using app software to try to evade regulation where they are operating.
Are there any ethical multi-billion dollar companies?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Are there any ethical multi-billion dollar companies?
Yes... Organisations like Ikea who is actually a non-profit. Oh wait, their a non-profit to avoid paying taxes. Ok. maybe not.

If the province wanted to be progressive with uber and lift they could state, we don't view these people as contractors. They are employees, that means minimum wage, working conditions, etc.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:32 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 4:45 PM
loafing in lotusland

Lifting the restriction on how many taxi licenses exist would help. Since ALL the taxi licenses in CoV (bar 1) are owned by large taxi companies, increasing the number of licenses would lower the price. That's essetially what Uber/Lyft do. They lift the restriction to infinity and let the market deal with it.

In the early days, it is more profitable to be a driver... and afterwards, more drivers enter the market until it's saturated and less profitable people stop being a driver. The cost of entry is low ( you're using your own car ) so there's no big loss.

I wonder if any software app developer is making apps for Taxi companies who want to more or less emulate the ride-share structure. In other words, what's stopping the Taxi Company from implementing a 2-tiered business? Oh... looks like someone is already thinking of this: https://taxistartup.com/

The province said they're phasing out Class 4 licenses, I believe.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
There is a simple answer, the province takes away taxi regulation from the cities. We have a BC wide taxi license and the only criteria as safety and insurance related. No trying to artificially limit the number of taxis on the road or limited which municipality they can operate in. Once you do force uber to use licensed vehicles and your done.
That is a great idea! And let taxis registered in each municipality freely cross city-boundaries with no fare pick-up/drop-off restrictions. That would definitely improve our taxi service here, especially during rush hour or year-end crunch-time.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Lifting the restriction on how many taxi licenses exist would help. Since ALL the taxi licenses in CoV (bar 1) are owned by large taxi companies, increasing the number of licenses would lower the price. That's essetially what Uber/Lyft do. They lift the restriction to infinity and let the market deal with it.
It's too late for the taxi industry. For decades they've lobbied to preserve and strengthen their monopoly position, generating a significant amount of public apathy and even animosity in the process. And now that technology has come knocking on their door they just keep trying their same old pattern of lobbying instead of innovating. The public is demanding better, and they know that ride share services can deliver right now. The taxi industry overplayed its hand and it's going to pay the price for that.

Unfortunately I don't really have a lot of love for Uber, either. I think it's climbing over the backs of its drivers towards an autonomous future. I hope that Vancouver gets a choice of ride share providers so that I have a choice over who to support.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Yes... Organisations like Ikea who is actually a non-profit. Oh wait, their a non-profit to avoid paying taxes. Ok. maybe not.

If the province wanted to be progressive with uber and lift they could state, we don't view these people as contractors. They are employees, that means minimum wage, working conditions, etc.
That wouldn't work.... all ride-share companies would peace the fuck out. It's not apart of the model on how they were created so it's a no go from the start.

Can't Vancouver for once just catch up with the world without taking some bullshit safe space attitude for every god damn thing.

In the end I just want to be able to get home from downtown after the bar to my place in New Westminster and not pay $60 for a 18 min ride. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post

The province said they're phasing out Class 4 licenses, I believe.
I heard that about 1 hour after I had written the previous post (11pm news)

Which is strange, since there are two versions of the license, one for up to 25-seat vehicles and one for up to 10. The thing that makes it hard to get has nothing to do with the license.

So if Uber/Lyft and whomever else wishes to try their hand at this can use only a regular Class 5 license, we are in for serious trouble as you need to look no further than the mess winter made.

There needs to be some kind of endorsement or something that says "Yes this driver knows not to be a moron and will not drive in bad weather, will fully maintain their vehicle (including proper seasonal tires,) and have a vehicle DVR installed and operational at all times while strangers are in the vehicle"

Because right now, simply allowing anyone to be an Uber car to drive in snow is going to result in a lot of collateral damage.

I want to see Ride hailing, because that allows people to live in less desirable transit-deficient areas and not be screwed by hourly bus schedules.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
I heard that about 1 hour after I had written the previous post (11pm news)

Which is strange, since there are two versions of the license, one for up to 25-seat vehicles and one for up to 10. The thing that makes it hard to get has nothing to do with the license.

So if Uber/Lyft and whomever else wishes to try their hand at this can use only a regular Class 5 license, we are in for serious trouble as you need to look no further than the mess winter made.

There needs to be some kind of endorsement or something that says "Yes this driver knows not to be a moron and will not drive in bad weather, will fully maintain their vehicle (including proper seasonal tires,) and have a vehicle DVR installed and operational at all times while strangers are in the vehicle"

Because right now, simply allowing anyone to be an Uber car to drive in snow is going to result in a lot of collateral damage.

I want to see Ride hailing, because that allows people to live in less desirable transit-deficient areas and not be screwed by hourly bus schedules.
1. This winter was the exception and not the rule
2. Drivers in Edmonton/Toronto seem to handle it just fine.
3. If your a shit driver who isn't prepared than you'll be rated poorly and kicked out of the system quite qickly.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:50 AM
See ya down under, mates

Uber saved my butt in San Francisco when no other option could pick me up. It was a weird dead zone near Golden Gate where the buses never showed up and taxis wouldn't go. Ever since then I've been pro Uber/Lyft.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:55 AM

It is a weird coincidence that Class 4 is going away now of all times. It will be interesting to see what ICBC demands for insurance on a vehicle being used for Uber rides.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:58 AM

... I'm starting to think that the NDP might be trying to not get elected.

B.C. government announces support for ride-hailing services Uber, Lyft
Quote:
BC NDP leader John Horgan said he'd kill the plan if his party wins in May, and accused the Liberals of dropping a last-minute policy for electoral purposes and not because it's good policy.
“Now the Liberals have come in and instead of levelling the playing field they’ve tossed over the table and created chaos," he said.

“This is the Liberal playbook, create a problem and throw some gas on the problem and step away. I’m not going to play that game.”

He said the NDP would conduct post-election consultations to find a fairer solution. Horgan indicated he'd boost the supply of taxi licenses, but keep the current requirement that taxis are restricted to certain geographic areas, in order to protect service levels for less urban communities.

"I believe you start from a point of fairness, the public will be happy with that and the industry will be happy with that," he said.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 7:45 AM

Anyone know what Taxis pay in vehicle insurance? ICBC said it will roll out a insurance plan specifically for Uber / ride sharing. Depending on cost this may weed out many part time drivers and such and impact the service.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
... I'm starting to think that the NDP might be trying to not get elected.
Yeah, he's on the wrong side of the issue, that's for sure.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Yeah, he's on the wrong side of the issue, that's for sure.
Talk about "failing to read the room".

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:10 PM

Wow NDP against ride sharing?

That will not sit well with younger people, many of whom would be more likely leaning NDP.

What a gaff.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:14 PM

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot. They're DOA before the gates are even open with this one issue alone.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:44 PM

I swear that I gasped when I heard John Horgan quoted on CBC radio last week saying that the NDP were against this and would repeal the bill if they form government. What on earth are they thinking?! They're picking the side of the taxi association/cartel?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure