HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I have to agree. I can see both arguments here, one side is a bit too sensitive (especially when it is people being offended for someone else), and the other side need to be a little more aware. In Japan there is a saying, "TPO" Time, Place, Occasion. A forum, such as this, is hard to read intents (there is no tone of voice, no body language, etc...) so such comments can very easily be offensive to some. This is especially true if you are a new member and people don't have any feel for your character / humor yet (baby steps).

That being said, if this comment is worthy of suspension then we must be consistent someone calls then Irish spud pickers
I didn't find that rice remark offensive at all, since I'm half Filipino. But seriously, everyone eats rice and flooded fields are required to make rice as far as I am aware. But seeing as I'm a person who gets racial slurs fired at me a lot (some BLM fanatics/shills called me white trash even though my friends agree that I look brown/Arabic), it doesn't offend me.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:23 AM

He made a stupid comment and he got punished for it. Whether he was trying to be funny or not is not important. (he wasn't funny btw)

I agree with what Abderdeen said. The most obvious short term solution is to buy more rolling stock. I think it is enough to meet demand for the near future. Although the line is designed to allow platforms be extended to 50m (Brighouse, YVR, and all non cut-and-cover stations are already at 50m), it is not designed for anything beyond 50m simply due to the design of Bridgeport Stn and its surrounding track layout. This will be main bottleneck that affects capacity expansion for the whole line.

However, it'll be decades before we'll need to talk about extending the platforms (assuming there's money for it in the first place.)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Suspended is not banned, but ya it does seem a little severe. Then again sometimes posts are deleted by mods at the same time so you never know the extent.
Yeah, unless there was something I didn't see I agree that suspension seems a bit extreme. I think he genuinely doesn't understand that that the wrong words can hurt, even if used innocently. Things that work among friends you know can backfire when you're speaking in a public forum.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I can see both arguments here, one side is a bit too sensitive (especially when it is people being offended for someone else)
"Being offended for someone else" applies to me. I used to stay silent in these types of situations but over some decades I've learned that saying nothing is tantamount to aiding and abetting. Therefore I'm no longer as shy about protesting when I see something that seems offensive.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:40 AM

By way of background, here's a Canada Line article from 2009 that some of you may not have read:

http://www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca/i...ine-backissues

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
"Being offended for someone else" applies to me. I used to stay silent in these types of situations but over some decades I've learned that saying nothing is tantamount to aiding and abetting. Therefore I'm no longer as shy about protesting when I see something that seems offensive.
Yeah, this is exactly why I hate SJW's. In my mind, getting offended for the most obscure minority is basically saying that they aren't capable of getting offended for themselves and/or are assuming they will find that offensive. Anyone who does that can go sweep a desert for all I care.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 4:05 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:36 AM

Yeah, there's a nice level of detail in it from the railfans.
There's a Millennium Line article too I'll post in the Broadway Extension thread when I get a chance.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Oh, ok.

This forum is too sensitive.

But still, I doubt Richmond will be flooded, even after an Earthquake. The Delta and Richmond Dikes are pretty strong- they held up last time during the 40s Fraser Floods. A seawall could be built on Steveston Banks (both protecting the banks and dikes from erosion from high energy waves).

It's also to note that an Earthquake would lose a lot of its energy before hitting Metro Van.
The tsunamis following the 2011 Japan earthquake caused much more damage than the earthquake itself - notably the Fukushima nuclear plant, which was designed to survive the 9.0 earthquake (and it did) and begin emergency shutdowns of the reactors, but the later tsunami swamped part of the Fukushima site and prevented the orderly shutdown of the nuclear cores in some of the reactors. Nuke reactors can take days and weeks to cool down and shut down, but this couldn’t happen because the tsunami damaged the cooling systems and other emergency systems needed to make the reactors ‘safe’.

The amazing videos of the tsunami flooding the coastal landscape shows that the tsunami defenses didn't work as planned to keep the rising sea water out. It was later discovered that even though the tsunami reached the projected heights along the coast, and the tsunami defenses were built to withstand these projected seawater heights, what wasn't included in the tsunami defenses planning was that the Japanese coastline itself was lowered by several feet during the massive earthquake.

In many coastal areas the populated land should have been safe from the tsunami by the protection walls that were built to withstand the earthquake and subsequent the tsunami events. Even though these walls did survive the earthquake and did their job against the tsunami, because the tsunami walls (and the land they were built on) were now a few feet lower (and therefore the wall tops were closer to sea level) after the earthquake, when the tsunami arrived and rose to its projected heights, the tsunami was able get over protection walls that were now too short to hold back the tsunami.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:30 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
...there is no law mandating older Vancouver buildings (such as WATERFRONT STATION) receive seismic retrofits unless they are majority renovated or change use.
...and the problem is that even if there were these kinds of requirements in place, it would make any such renovations much more expensive and therefore far less likely to be done.

And in the meantime, older heritage buildings are protected by the city.

I'm afraid we're caught in paralysis until The Big One shakes us out of our stupor...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:09 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:04 AM

Quote:
This region and Richmond in particular are woefully unprepared for an Earthquake, the fact that there is no law mandating older Vancouver buildings (such as WATERFRONT STATION) receive seismic retrofits unless they are majority renovated or change use.

Richmonds Dikes may very well protect from flooding on the Fraser but, after a magnitude 9 earthquake with serious soil liquefaction, will they hold back the waves?
Magnitude 9 is beyond worst-case. Vancouver isn't San Fran- there are no fault lines in the lower Fraser Valley, and the big fault line (Juan de Fuca) is off Vancouver Island.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but I've heard the phrase "rice eater" used with malice too often to let it go unmentioned. After all, "those who remain silent..." etc.

I used to hear and sympathize with people who justified the use of the term "nigger" the same way, but after a lot of discourse on the subject I now understand why it's not a defensible argument.

Perhaps Fredinno isn't aware of the history of Asian racial slurs, but if so then I think it's in his best interests to learn a bit about it before he inadvertently gets people angry at him.
I've been to some 8 forums before, and this is by far the most sensitive.

Some part of Reddit are almost a contest to see how offensive you can get.

Forum culture is just as diverse as real culture. And I really don't appreciate being suspended.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:12 AM

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
And I really don't appreciate being suspended.
Hey man, I'm sorry that happened, it was absolutely not my intent. Aside from what I considered to be a poor choice of words you haven't spoken ill of anyone, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of folks.

Glad to see you're back again!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 3:24 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Have loops at end of lines been considered? Thinking back to Heathrow I remember that the Tube Loops there, if we did something similar at the termini, could we fix some of the frequency issues?
It takes longer to go around a loop than it does for the train to simply reverse. Not to mention taking a whole lot more space for trackage. For equipment capable of bidirectional operation, especially automated equipment where the crew doesn't have to relocate, I can't imagine why you'd use a loop.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 5:39 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
It takes longer to go around a loop than it does for the train to simply reverse. Not to mention taking a whole lot more space for trackage. For equipment capable of bidirectional operation, especially automated equipment where the crew doesn't have to relocate, I can't imagine why you'd use a loop.
The question I have is about the Airport station itself. It has a short tail track. Given that the station only has one track, what's the tail track for? I imagine it's there so that if they want to expand the station it would be built towards the airport, but that's just a guess.

I'd love to see an expanded and integrated station in the airport, perhaps with a skywalk over the street at platform level turning into a ramp down to the airport on the international side.

Also, when considering YVR, remember that there is also a future station ( at the end of the double tracked section between YVR and Sea Island Stations.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 6:27 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
I've been to some 8 forums before, and this is by far the most sensitive.

Some part of Reddit are almost a contest to see how offensive you can get.

Forum culture is just as diverse as real culture. And I really don't appreciate being suspended.
Your suspended. Wow, surprising.

However, I for one would be happy to see the last of your misinformation for a while at least.

Vancouver and earthquakes: once again you don't know enough about what you post. We could very easily suffer a magnitude 9 quake.

Yes the fault that threatens us is well off Vancouver Island. Yes we do not have the conditions that San Fransisco has. But that is irrelevant to the threat we face.

California's fault lines are such that one plate is moving linearly alongside another. The movement is horizontal. They catch, stall, and then release (strike-slip) - the resulting movement is the danger.

The Juan de Fuca is a subduction condition - with both horizontal and vertical aspects. The small offshore plate is moving under the main NA Continental plate.

The energy built up in this situation is completely different. The offshore plate is pushing under the plate we are on (Continental), and in doing so causes our plate to heave upwards in an arc.

Eventually, our plate will have stored enough energy to overcome the friction that holds it, and a couple of things will occur. 1) The Continental plate will let go of the Juan de Fuca plate, which will then move forward (to the east) and under a bit. This release of energy is what accounts for our offshore earthquakes. But the big one will be the release of the energy that has been building in the Continental plate. The arc, no longer held at the fault line will release. Vancouver sits on top of this arched portion of the Continental plate. For us, the release will mean that the earth's crust will drop vertically to its new stable position. We get a subduction earthquake, and it can be potentially very big. The most movement, and the most energy released, occurs where the arc is highest. That's where we are. In fact, the force of this component decreases toward the fault. We get hit by vertical change, the fault gets hit by horizontal change. Nothing like California. But easily as big and devastating.

So, fredinno, I again urge you to discuss all that there is to discuss. Tell stories. Give opinions. But, stop making claims of knowledge where you have none.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure