HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 6:23 PM
Oak City

iPhone photos of the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Cary)

I haven't had much time to take my DSLR out anymore but I have some iPhone photos I though I'd share.

The Triangle CSA will top 2 million this year. The Triangle is made up of Durham (home of Duke), Raleigh (NC State) and Chapel Hill (UNC) as well as Cary, Apex, Carrboro and a couple others. It is approx. 20 miles from downtown Durham to downtown Raleigh but they are in separate MSAs. It is approx. 8 miles from Durham to Chapel Hill, and area often referred to a Tobacco Road due to Durham's former home of American Tobacco.

Durham

Durham has been building quite a lot around the American Tobacco campus of old tobacco buildings in downtown. They recently built the new Durham Performing Arts Center which hosts your typical Broadway touring productions and concerts.

DPAC is in the foreground on the far right of the photo:

Part of the American Tobacco campus. The Duke University campus starts not too far past the buildings seen here.

Pano:

Turning to the left from the previous photo are these new buildings. The one on the right is still under construction.

I'm not sure if this new government building is open yet or not. I think it has the new courthouse and Durham county offices in it.

Durham Bulls stadium. The Bulls are a AAA affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays. If you've ever seen the movie Bull Durham you'll be familiar with their old stadium located over on the north side of town. The stadium is also the home field for the Duke University baseball team and is hosting the ACC tournament this year.

Hit bull, win steak.

A lot of the new construction in Durham has been around the baseball stadium which replaced the old one in 1995.

Raleigh

PNC Plaza, center, is the tallest building between Charlotte and Philly.

Brewgaloo 2013 - a craft beer festival featuring only NC beers.

View from the crosswalk connecting the new section of the Natural History Museum with the old section.

Food truck

View from a balcony in the PNC Plaza:

2 Hanover Square

Overlook at the RDU airport:

Wind turbine powers the overlook:

North Hills, Raleigh

OUT Raleigh

New bicycle and pedestrian suspension bridge over the Neuse River in Raleigh. The paved bike/pedestrian Neuse River Greenway is 28 miles long and the next section will extend it to 33 paved miles.

The bridge while it was still under construction. 7 feet wide, 270 feet long. It is the longest pedestrian suspension bridge in the state, passing the 228 foot long Mile High Swinging Bridge on Grandfather Mountain.

Looking north on the Neuse River.

Looking south. About a mile south from this bridge is a 7 foot high damn built in the late 1800s. Once you get past it you can paddle all the way to the Atlantic ocean (there are trip reports online; it usually takes 4 - 5 days). They are trying to move forward with removing the damn but is only in planning stages.

Cary

Cary gets a bad reputation. It is a sprawlly bedroom community between Raleigh and Durham of 140,000. As Cary has grown the central area has, what would you call it, reverse gentrified? The central population has become very diverse.

This year the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Cary CSA should pass 2 million.

A Triangle Transit bus followed by a C-Tran (Cary Transit) bus. Cary has 6 fixed routes and is serviced by Triangle Transit which connects it to Durham and Raleigh. Durham has DART and Raleigh has CAT.

A new covered, lit bus stop for C-Tran and Triangle Transit.

The Cary Amtrak station in downtown. Service three times daily to Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Charlotte, and points in between. Transit plans in the Triangle include adding commuter rail service and light rail service, both of which will use this station.

A few scenes downtown:

In the distance you can see tents for a local farmers market. Got a huge bag of cilantro for two bucks.

Most of the suburban Cary houses are typical McMansions but around downtown you will find mostly houses like these:

The Triangle has gone greenway crazy. Besides the 28 miles Neuse River greenway there is the 20 mile American Tobacco Trail and over 100 miles total in the Capital area.

Part of the 7 mile long Black Creek Greenway in Cary:

Cary's skate park:

Latin day at a Carolina Railhawks game. The Railhawks are a 2nd tier pro soccer (NASL) team that play in Cary. Their recently expanded stadium seats 10,000 and has hosted MLS teams as well as friendlies against Chivas and UNAM Pumas.

Jordan Lake, south of the Triangle:

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 4:25 PM
Oak City

A few more.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Really enjoyed this! Great to see NC booming, what a beautiful state, Thank you.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:10 PM

Great tour! It's good to see the expansion of bike trails in the area.

I've heard that downtown Raleigh has made significant improvement--when I was there 8 or 9 years ago, I walked along their pedestrian mall downtown and it was mostly empty. I think they've demalled it and its become filled with businesses.

Is North Hills part of a huge mixed-use lifestyle center? I remember visiting a center in Raleigh several years ago and was impressed by the new urbanist design. Although I suppose, one could legitimately ask whether or not the Research Triangle needs yet another downtown style business district.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 11:46 AM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I've heard that downtown Raleigh has made significant improvement--when I was there 8 or 9 years ago, I walked along their pedestrian mall downtown and it was mostly empty. I think they've demalled it and its become filled with businesses.
Yes, there are many new bars and restaurants, expanded museums, and the warehouse area bordering downtown has become a bit of an arts area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Is North Hills part of a huge mixed-use lifestyle center? I remember visiting a center in Raleigh several years ago and was impressed by the new urbanist design. Although I suppose, one could legitimately ask whether or not the Research Triangle needs yet another downtown style business district.
North Hills is more of a faux urban development; car centric mixed-use with chain stores/restaurants. It's maybe like a smaller version of Atlanta's Atlantic Station or probably more like something in Dunwoody. Meh.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos