HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Two Gilmore Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It's going to be quite a glass ghetto!
Really like this development, the sooner the better.
The rendering looks like a very walkable downtown. But i am a little cautious about all those office space because according to article in Business in Vancouver by Peter Mitham, Nov 25 2014 ... downtown office space has the highest vacancy rate of 9.6% and rising . This is all time high in last 9 years. Can Onni fill all those office space?
Wishful thinking is the downtown offices relocate to Brentwood for cheaper rent....ha ha

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 6:33 AM

maybe staples would move in there from across the street. (ish) The area could really use a best buy or futureshop, I hate going to the one at metrotown

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 6:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
maybe staples would move in there from across the street. (ish) The area could really use a best buy or futureshop, I hate going to the one at metrotown
Ha... ain't gonna happen... Best Buy is really empty all the time recently. I go to the one near Metrotown and also near Vancouver City Hall on Cambie once in a while, both locations are always so empty. It's just a matter of time before we will buy all of our electronic stuffs online.

Last edited by AudiA3; Dec 4, 2014 at 7:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 6:42 AM

the ones in alberta seem to be busy everytime i go, perhaps we have more fun money to spend here

but i do most of my shopping online anyway but its nice to see the stuff in person first

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA3 View Post
Wow these rendering reminds me of Las Vegas / Singapore shopping malls
Las Vegas/Singapore? I think this mall will probably have more in common with a mall in Langley.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
Las Vegas/Singapore? I think this mall will probably have more in common with a mall in Langley.
AudiA3 is selling condos at Brentwood, or at least trying really hard to do so on an internet forum.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:12 PM

I see the office working but not retail. Unless they are going to be doing a cyrstal mall for north burnaby. For the residential irs onni and it will all be mid priced crap

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 10:09 PM

Wow. I missed this news entirely. I was travelling throughout the first three weeks of December and am just now sifting through the last months' news.

The site for this project has tremendous opportunity for an integrated mixed-use TOD project. I'm happy to see that Onni is pursuing a mixed-use program with more than a token amount of retail with awkward CRUs that bob and weave around columns and vertical circulation.

I think that if their retail market analysis say that they can capture the retail they are proposing, then more power to them. The very interesting thing to me is the large chunk of office that is proposed: 1,000,000 sqft, if I've read correctly. In light of the suburban office lease rate premium that can be realized in the 500m radii of SkyTrain stations, and the quantity of office development that has been built and absorbed, and is in the pipeline, for the Millennium Line corridor in the City of Vancouver and Burnaby, Onni's proposal for a million square feet is not without precedent and only strengthens the prospects of the corridor becoming a major office node for the region.

What's interesting is that much of the office that has been built along the corridor have been large floorplate campus-style office and smaller towers in the 100k-200k sqft range. It's pretty likely that the office space will be podiums for residential towers, as that is a way to reduce risk and roll out product to better match market cycles. With that said, I could see a dedicated office tower being among the eight towers that are pencilled in for the site to compliment the podium offering. I don't think Onni would do that on spec, but if in their leasing drive they get a bite from a whale, say a government agency or a company, that wants to consolidate into a tower and is prepared to sign on as the anchor tenant, then Onni would proceed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:54 AM

Gilmore station as it is today. Nothing going on just yet.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Thanks for the reference pics... going to be great to see this project get off the ground.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Thanks for the reference pics... going to be great to see this project get off the ground.
Any update from anybody?
this thread seems to be so quiet since March.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 6:32 PM

I haven't seen any official development permit applications on the City of Burnaby's website yet, so until that happens I doubt there will be much concrete info come out.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 9:11 PM

A bit unsure I like the approach here. It looks a bit like an imposing mega block development that usually comes attached with some big box anchor tenant. That might make sense in some places, but if you look at Dawson St, it's actually a small, relatively quiet street of the sort that would be a great framework for a walkable community of varied store fronts. This is pretty rare in the suburbs and it has huge potential. It has a lot more in common with Commercial Drive, Hastings Heights or even Chinatown's Pender Street than it does nearby Lougheed.

I'm not saying that you can't put towers here, but this is a place where it would make sense to keep attention on the streetscape and emphasize small retail spaces over big box.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 10:20 PM

Gilmore should just focus to be the office district in North Burnaby.. I think its more appropriate for that kind of development... No need for another mall in the area

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukmuk64 View Post
A bit unsure I like the approach here. It looks a bit like an imposing mega block development that usually comes attached with some big box anchor tenant. That might make sense in some places, but if you look at Dawson St, it's actually a small, relatively quiet street of the sort that would be a great framework for a walkable community of varied store fronts. This is pretty rare in the suburbs and it has huge potential. It has a lot more in common with Commercial Drive, Hastings Heights or even Chinatown's Pender Street than it does nearby Lougheed.

I'm not saying that you can't put towers here, but this is a place where it would make sense to keep attention on the streetscape and emphasize small retail spaces over big box.
Unfortunately, the monotonous + low-quality retail frontages of the Tandem and especially OMA projects have killed any chances of Dawson developing into an attractive, vibrant pedestrian district.

Last edited by BodomReaper; Apr 15, 2015 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukmuk64 View Post

the plan was to make dawson street the "high street" and be more pedestrian friendly since lougheed is not suitable, most of what is on it i am sure will be gone in a decade

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 4:46 PM

Has this project been approved yet? It's actually more interesting than I originally thought. This project makes a lot of economic sense. The area is surrounded by all of the automotive dealerships, it's like Burnaby's Auto Mall pretty much. And with the addition of retail and residential, there will be plenty demand for retail.

http://www.gilmorestation.ca/content...e-brochure.pdf

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourOdeon View Post
Has this project been approved yet? It's actually more interesting than I originally thought. This project makes a lot of economic sense. The area is surrounded by all of the automotive dealerships, it's like Burnaby's Auto Mall pretty much. And with the addition of retail and residential, there will be plenty demand for retail.

http://www.gilmorestation.ca/content...e-brochure.pdf
Very nice overview. This plus the Woodland development will have about 10000 residential units to the whole Brentwood town center precinct. Going to be vibrant. convenient, awesome community to live in. But City needs to step up with supportive services like parks, community center, may be even a swimming pool???

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post
Very nice overview. This plus the Woodland development will have about 10000 residential units to the whole Brentwood town center precinct. Going to be vibrant. convenient, awesome community to live in. But City needs to step up with supportive services like parks, community center, may be even a swimming pool???
Forget to add library to my wish list

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post
Forget to add library to my wish list
Burnaby has four libraries - one for each quadrant (and I really doubt they'll add any more). In that area it's the McGill branch, near Hastings and Willingdon. It's only a 5 min drive from Brentwood Station, a bit over 10 mins by bus (inc walking time) or bike, and less than a 30 min walk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley