HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 9:50 PM

Cool The Great Canadian Urban Cycling Thread

Thread about Canadian urban cycling news, infrastructure, photos, ideas, etc.

Dunsmuir Separated Bike Lane by Paul Krueger, on Flickr

Vancouver Seawall - Stanley Park by abdallahh, on Flickr

Cycling on Union Street 1 by Paul Krueger, on Flickr

On The Right Path by Clayton Perry, on Flickr

IMG_4096 by Matt' Johnson, on Flickr

Seawall Saturdays by Clayton Perry, on Flickr

Bike Lanes by Clayton Perry, on Flickr

IMG_5981 by Neal Jennings, on Flickr

Burrard Bridge exit lane by Clark Nikolai, on Flickr

Burrard Bridge, Vancouver by Danielle Griscti, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 1:52 AM

Nice pics

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 2:38 PM
Community Guy

This past June Edmonton opened up its protected Downtown complete grid. It strategically connects all of the multi-use/bikeways coming into the core.

http://www.metronews.ca

http://i0.wp.com/media.globalnews.ca

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=750w

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 3:34 PM
Moran supreme

The city of Calgary is reported to have North America's largest bicycle path network at almost 900 km of pathways and trail's - Google Maps Calgary bicycle network and this is not entirely up to date.

Seattle surprises me with only a 215km bicycle path network. Even Portland at 560km is quite surprising.

Last edited by speedog; Aug 20, 2017 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 4:23 PM
I am the law!

I wouldn't have thought Portland would have 560 kilometres. It's not that big of a city. Or, does that include trails and on street?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 4:58 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I wouldn't have thought Portland would have 560 kilometres. It's not that big of a city. Or, does that include trails and on street?
Probably includes trails and on street and it's probably respectable for a city of 640,000 people. The city of Toronto at 2.8 million people has bicycle network than is not significantly larger than Portland's.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 5:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the map of planned and proposed trails in the city of Moncton. Both Dieppe and Riverview have similar trail systems giving the metro area an impressive network for it's size (CMA 150,000)

The Northwest Trail in particular is quite popular. It allows pedestrians and cyclists from the far northwestern fringe of the city direct access to the city core, almost entirely on a system of entirely grade separated trails completely removed from competing vehicular traffic. Our mayor Dawn Arnold uses this trail almost every day to cycle to work at city hall (over a distance of about 8 km or so).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 5:19 PM

Calgary is 825.56 km2.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:06 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Calgary is 825.56 km2.
That's the city of Calgary's land area - the total length of Calgary's bivyvle network is like I stated previously, relative city of Calgary web page.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:08 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here is the map of planned and proposed trails in the city of Moncton. Both Dieppe and Riverview have similar trail systems giving the metro area an impressive network for it's size (CMA 150,000)

The Northwest Trail in particular is quite popular. It allows pedestrians and cyclists from the far northwestern fringe of the city direct access to the city core, almost entirely on a system of entirely grade separated trails completely removed from competing vehicular traffic. Our mayor Dawn Arnold uses this trail almost every day to cycle to work at city hall (over a distance of about 8 km or so).
All of the numbers quoted so far have been for actual cities, to start throwing CMA numbers into the mix just starts muddying everything up.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
That's the city of Calgary's land area - the total length of Calgary's bivyvle network is like I stated previously, relative city of Calgary web page.
I know that. Calgary land area is larger than Toronto or Montréal.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 8:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

St. John's is still very anti-bike. Steep hills, and suburban residents who have the mentality of "You got a purdy mouth" with very, very rural expectations of what suburban life should be.

We actually have protests against bike lanes.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
The city of Calgary is reported to have North America's largest bicycle path network at almost 900 km of pathways and trail's - Google Maps Calgary bicycle network and this is not entirely up to date.

Seattle surprises me with only a 215km bicycle path network. Even Portland at 560km is quite surprising.
The Calgary number likely does not include the Greenway which is like 100 km, or provincially maintained paths in Fish Creek Park and along the WID canal, or on street. I known the Glenmore Reservoir completion is underway. When will the connection to Glen Bow Ranch be done? Once that is finished, the Bow will have close to 100 km of continuous pathway.

Both Seattle and Portland have geographic and land ownership challenges as both are cut up by water and hills, even more so than Vancouver.

Last edited by Doug; Aug 20, 2017 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 8:52 PM
Rational urbanist

Calgary's bike route length is a little misleading. I was in Calgary last summer and rode the CTrain around to the suburbs and noticed how a lot of the "trails" are just yellow lines painted in the middle of near-standard width sidewalks.

The downtown network is awesome though. Seemed significantly more comprehensive than Vancouver's to me.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Calgary's bike route length is a little misleading. I was in Calgary last summer and rode the CTrain around to the suburbs and noticed how a lot of the "trails" are just yellow lines painted in the middle of near-standard width sidewalks.

The downtown network is awesome though. Seemed significantly more comprehensive than Vancouver's to me.
That is usually only near major road crossings. Most of Calgary's pathways have dedicated right of way. Yes much of the distance is way out in the suburbs. The network really expanded in the 90's. There aren't that many gaps left to plug on the dedicated rights of way. The on street network still needs lots of work. Other than the weather, I found Calgary much more cycling friendly than Seattle.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 9:16 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Probably includes trails and on street and it's probably respectable for a city of 640,000 people. The city of Toronto at 2.8 million people has bicycle network than is not significantly larger than Portland's.
I was referring to square kilometres and not population. I did look it up. Portland covers a lot more area than I thought.

Toronto is behind; more for on street than trails but, it's also the place I feel safest cycling in mixed traffic.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 10:11 PM

Despite the lag in bike infrastructure, bikes and cyclists are ubiquitous in the central city so most drivers are very aware of cyclists. If you drive downtown you have to have your head on a swivel.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 10:51 PM

If you are counting paved shoulders, Ottawa has 900km of cycling via: http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/transp...k-information; discounting that, Ottawa has about 650 km of multi-use paths, bike lanes and cycle tracks.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 11:19 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton's central network.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 11:59 PM

It is amazing how quickly Edmonton's network has come together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada