HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
In this case I think the schemers have actually gone the other way around... this place is most often advertised as le Sud-Ouest in real estate contexts. This is because most Sud-Ouest neighborhoods were notoriously crass prior to that borough being created. (and still are for the most part). The term ''sud-ouest'' is relatively new, so it conjures up thoughts of Griffintown, the Lachine canal, gentrification and whatnot.

If you're trying to sell property in Ville-Émard or Côte Saint-Paul... well Sud-Ouest is definitely the name you want to feature on your listing. If you're in Griffintown, Little Burgundy or the eastern part of Pointe-Saint-Charles, then the area will erroneously be described as Griffintown.

So many mindgames !
You're right about that leftimage.
Verdun is also definitely a good bang for the buck since it has a good metro coverage and high density. I like the progress on Wellington street, it will only get better unlike the rue Notre-Dame in Lachine which seems to be losing ground to shopping malls in spite of its good bones. Ville-Émard is pretty affordable and has some nice streets and parks but Monk has a problem with too many bars and pool halls to my taste. It's pretty sketchy and underwordly at best.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
You're right about that leftimage.
Verdun is also definitely a good bang for the buck since it has a good metro coverage and high density. I like the progress on Wellington street, it will only get better unlike the rue Notre-Dame in Lachine which seems to be losing ground to shopping malls in spite of its good bones. Ville-Émard is pretty affordable and has some nice streets and parks but Monk has a problem with too many bars and pool halls to my taste. It's pretty sketchy and underwordly at best.
Right on. I think it's just that these days people are valuing proximity to downtown and or the plateau before all else when purchasing a home in Montreal. Our road system has just made that sort of reasoning obligatory I guess.

That strip of Notre-Dame is amazingly depressing in that it has so much natural charm, proximity to the water, and yet only crappy businesses seem to prosper there. I guess it's just considered too ''out of the way'' in this day and age.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 5:50 AM

http://www.nfb.ca/film/point

onf doc from '78 on the point

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 8:56 AM

I always thought the Nordelec would have made a good Pink Floyd album cover. I distinctly remember seeing that building for the first time - it made a very strong impression on me. So they turned them into lofts? A bit cliche at this point but a good idea nonetheless.

I always enjoyed wandering around the Point on a hot sunny days. It's actually a quiet neighborhood and you can walk blocks without seeing a person. It's fascinating (for me at least) but I feel it's missing that bit of energy that would make it a complete neighborhood. I feel that neighboring Verdun has this missing energy but yet maintains 'it's always going to be like this' timeless vibe.

I guess I am a sucker for nostalgia and the older Montreal hoods have it in spades.

Oh yeah - pretty sure it's 'filles du roi' and not 'filles du roy'

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

God damn, I need to get to Montreal sometime soon before it gets too cold.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post

Oh yeah - pretty sure it's 'filles du roi' and not 'filles du roy'
Both are OK. "Roy" is the old spelling for "roi" and is still frequently for stuff with a historical connotation.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 6:21 PM
Editor

Nice set of images, of an interesting neighborhood!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 10:27 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Great pics, I somehow always wind up there when I visit MTL, stumbling around drunk usually. If not for the French signage, you'd think you're in the Industrial East Coast or Midwest.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 2:41 PM
not a NIMBY

great photos

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos