HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:36 AM

Yes sir, but the location of the photo is a little farther north, perhaps at Mulberry by the Armories.

One of the things that stands out for me, aside from the signage, is the width of the street. Its one-wayedness, the lack of street parking (at least in this photo) and the lack of street trees really emphasize that fact.

It's also quite evident what function James North served in those days. In contrast, when I was growing up the only reason you went to that area was to have an Italian coffee (great novelty at the time) or to watch Juventus play, though I can't imagine why anybody would want to do that. It was pretty rough, it must be said.

Any other observations?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
James St. N. at Wilson.

The old Eatons is no longer there and the old Bank of Commerce building just North of that is also gone.
That traffic light is Cannon, not Wilson.

Orange Hall is Vasco de Gama now, but where was Shamrock Boystown? (other than the address as shown) Morganstern's?

Also, love the LEONS FURS sign that still stands today.

Last edited by CaptainKirk; Jun 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 12:07 PM

The '60s highway-style streetlights are gone (along with the electric tramline threaded off them), replaced by more modest antiquey faux-gaslamps that cast a Dickensian glow. Downtown has never had very welcoming lighting.

As in all photos of a certain vintage, the road is immaculate and looks freshly pressed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 12:28 PM

^I hadn't noticed the overhead wires. Good eye. And yes, those street lights are poor.

Of all the signs in that photo I think only the Leon Furs and the Pawnbroker ones still exist. I'm a big fans of signs that hang out over the sidewalk like so many in that shot. It's my understanding that they are all but illegal in the city for, you guessed it, liability reasons. F*** off! When was the last time somebody was killed or wounded by a shop sign?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:09 PM

BTW, the occasion in the photo was a funeral procession for the Chief of Police Len Lawrence. Not sure such a thing would happen today.

And that wrestling advert is great. Not sure about 'Shamrock Boystown,' however. Sounds a little disconcerting.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:17 PM

Building no.7

Nothing particularly special about this building (1949-89). Quite nice, though - nicer than the pictures indicate. It was built of limestone and red brick. Probably quite handsome in colour. What's its location?

Date unknown - 1950s perhaps

1989 (Being prepared for demolition)

source

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:45 PM

James North, just south of York/Wilson, around where the City Centre's NE entrance now stands. In the background of the 1989 photo you can see, left to right the original Eatons (which would soon meet the ODRP wrecking ball itself), the eastern wall of the Farmers' Market and what I assume is the eastern wall of the York parkade.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 3:44 PM

Kaboom! Nicely done. Yes, this bank stood in the same spot as the Royal Hotel - James N and Merrick. The Royal burnt down in '35 and the bank was built in '49 - gonna assume there was nothing else in between.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 3:54 PM

Speaking of the parkade, if you've ever wondered what stood on that site prior to the building of that architectural masterpiece, here it is:

source

That's the Hotel Stroud/ Waldorf and the Savoy theatre to the right. Notice the Coppley building, as always, laying claim to that corner.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 10:52 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
That traffic light is Cannon, not Wilson.

Orange Hall is Vasco de Gama now, but where was Shamrock Boystown? (other than the address as shown) Morganstern's?

Also, love the LEONS FURS sign that still stands today.
Yes, Wilson is closer to Eaton's, it was late when I was looking at it.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 7:54 AM

Building no.8

source

- Building
- Approximate date

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 12:12 PM

• “Long Live Their Gracious Majesties”
• Eatons. The store loved its monarchist pomp. James North approximately opposite Rebecca?
June 7, 1939. Visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. The Royals arrived at the CNR Station on James North at 2:24pm, were received at City Hall by Mayor Morrison, visited Civic Stadium and ended at the Jockey Club railway siding at 4:09pm. It was the first time a reigning monarch had visited Canada. The Hamilton stop was scheduled just before a jaunt into the United States during which time the royals visited the United States (another historic first) and President Roosevelt. It is presumed that the 1939 tour was partly designed to strengthen Canada’s bond with Britain, a practical matter as Europe had been sinking deeper into war.
• The visit also saw the ceremonial opening of the QEW. The highway from Toronto to Hamilton had been completed by 1937 but was then simply called the Middle Road Highway. In extending it south to St. Catharines, the province decided to rededicate it in the Queen’s honour, to coincide with the Royals’ first visit to Canada.
• The tour also gave the CBC its first real workout and showcased the broadcaster to the country, as its crews followed the King & Queen for almost six weeks, broadcasting daily. As Concord University historian Mary Vipond puts it: “The CBC was central to making the royal tour a media event; the media event also helped to make the CBC a national cultural institution.”

Last edited by thistleclub; Jun 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:09 AM

^Well done and thanks for the background.

Here are a few more pics from that occasion. These photos were taken in behind Eaton's and City Hall at Market Square. You can see a bit of the rusticated stone of City Hall in the last image. The other buildings you see faced onto Market Street heading towards York.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 10:36 AM

I'd never seen a photo of the interior of the Royal Hotel before.

Looks spectacular.

source

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 10:44 AM

Another rare photo. One of my favourites.

source

What?
Where?
Other details?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 2:56 AM
Concerned Citizen

The Gore Bank, King and Hughson. Later amalgamated with the Bank of Commerce.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 12:21 PM

Via CIBC:

Gore Bank, 1836-1870
The Gore Bank, one of the earliest banks in Upper Canada, was founded by a group of well-known Hamiltonians in 1836. While it faced economic depression soon after opening, the bank prospered in the 1850s during a period of railway expansion and rampant land speculation. Yet, it had gambled on continued growth and, with the crop failure of 1857, was hit hard by imprudent lending practices. Its competitors were similarly affected and suspended operations in the late 1860s. These banks were in debt to The Gore and their closure made its recovery impossible. A merger proposal from The Commerce was accepted over a competing bid because the directors felt The Commerce would offer better banking services to western Ontario. The Gore Bank officially amalgamated with The Canadian Bank of Commerce on May 12, 1870.

Hadn't realized that a Bank of Hamilton survives in Winnipeg despite the CIBC's 1979 move to demolish it.

Last edited by thistleclub; Jun 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 1:16 AM

What a beautiful steetscape that was and we continue to chip away at it.

I think there are a few Bank of Hamiltons still kicking around this country but yes, the one in Winnipeg is quite impressive, more so than ours.

And if I'm not mistaken, MacNab was a big player in the Gore Bank and we all know what a wheeler and dealer he was. I can just imagine the kind of financial shenanigans they got up to.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 2:40 AM
Hammer'd

It broke my heart to see Winnipeg's Bank of Hamilton building beautifully preserved and to know that the city which gave the bank it's name, destroyed it's home building over 20 years ago. I don't know how I even have emotion for these senseless Hamilton demolitions any more.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 10:30 AM

^You've gotta find a balance somewhere between suicide and apathy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion