HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 2:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

who knows maybe artis reit will do a vanity project. as long as it can be done with out debt and genirates revenue im sure they will go with it

anyhow

when was one canada built? aka investers group tower

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
who knows maybe artis reit will do a vanity project. as long as it can be done with out debt and genirates revenue im sure they will go with it

anyhow

Opened in 1988

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 7:33 AM

360 Main

Just curious how can 300 main be at least 10 mil over budget when foundation is built already so no costly digging etc ? I guess maybe materials very expensive for outer shell ?

Last edited by pegcityboy; Jan 14, 2018 at 7:35 AM. Reason: Wrong address

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:11 PM

SkipTheDishes took over several floors in the old CWB/G3 building.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 5:55 PM

thanks for the answers about the office tenants! shows there's still some appetite out there for the office market.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 7:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Just curious how can 300 main be at least 10 mil over budget when foundation is built already so no costly digging etc ? I guess maybe materials very expensive for outer shell ?
the dallor has droped and some trades min wage went up

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
thanks for the answers about the office tenants! shows there's still some appetite out there for the office market.
Ceridian is currently looking for 30-35,000 sq ft downtown.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
why is the space they in now not meeting their needs?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I would love if they were wooed to move completely into a more prominent building/development and their current building was folded into the wave of residential conversions. Like I've brought up before, it's an odd spot for an office building and it would be a prime candidate for conversion IMO.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
why is the space they in now not meeting their needs?
Don't know, they just require that much space downtown.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
In my opinion, tall skyscrapers seem a bit passé. All of the most charming (and livable/dense) neighborhoods that I have seen have not been made of skyscrapers, but rather in the 2-7 storey range. For example the plateau and
Mile End neighborhoods in Montreal, large parts of Quebec City and Vancouver are much(!!) more dense and livable than anywhere in Winnipeg and yet not because of having high rises.
True, but that's what cities that already have tall structures say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
TNS is all glass. Pretty shocking. It must have an unbelievably expensive mechanical system to compensate for that.

I wouldn’t count on 360 being all glass. Not only is it well over budget, it is much less likely that residential can afford the technology to compensate for irresponsible decisions like all glass and meet energy code requirements.
1) Yes, TNS does have a very expensive mech system
2) Do you mean 300 or 360? Technically 360 is all glass with panels behind said glass in between floors. Or mostly all glass, for all intents and purposes.

As for 300, it looks like all glass... and what choice does anyone have? It's a steel structure due to load constraints, so it was always going to have window wall or curtain wall as concrete is heavier. In our climate, window wall is a bigger risk, so this is a curtain wall I think.
Quote:

anyhow

REITs don't really do vanity projects. Money to be made elsewhere... 300 and especially 360, (considering the relatively low extra revenue generated by just a curtain wall) are as vanity as I'm sure it would get. Artis is conservative, so a project has to check out.

That said, if you frequent the Canada section and tallest proposals thread, apparently they have a sexy monstrosity proposed in Toronto. Alas some ppl in that section leave little incentive for me to post there, which happened again lol. Around Jan 2-3 or 4th I think it was posted. Just can't expect that in Wpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
I've heard current costs are actually quite reasonable. Scope has fluctuated obviously based on the renderings developed over time, so that could be a culprit. Perhaps the whole foundation advantage was over-estimated? It appears designed towards the high end in lieu of foundation savings, so perhaps they checked too many options at the Mercedes dealer lol.

However, as per True Viking's suggestions, if it is all glass like TNS then the mech systems and glass itself are going to be big ticket items. Then factor in the umpteenth code requirement changes, and it adds up.

Last edited by Wolf13; Jan 16, 2018 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:30 PM

It appears like the work at Winnipeg square is moving along. once it gets started it should go up pretty quickly. With TNS, half of the work was the foundation. Hopefully we see a crane there or something more happening there in the next few months.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
It appears like the work at Winnipeg square is moving along. once it gets started it should go up pretty quickly. With TNS, half of the work was the foundation. Hopefully we see a crane there or something more happening there in the next few months.
It sounds like the foundation is needing to be updated before the tower can go ahead, so I expect this is what's going on now. Even though Winnipeg Square was built with a tower pad at the south end for a second tower in 1976, it was designed to accommodate a 32-storey tower, but what's being built is going to be 41 storeys. Plus they want to update the foundation so it meets current building codes.

Great seeing this one going ahead!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:54 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
It sounds like the foundation is needing to be updated before the tower can go ahead, so I expect this is what's going on now. Even though Winnipeg Square was built with a tower pad at the south end for a second tower in 1976, it was designed to accommodate a 32-storey tower, but what's being built is going to be 41 storeys. Plus they want to update the foundation so it meets current building codes.

32 storeys of office (50psf) versus 42 storeys of residential (40 psf). They are able to go higher mostly as a result of using lighter floor design loading. The reinforcing of the existing building core is to account for the added wind effects from the taller tower.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
32 storeys of office (50psf) versus 42 storeys of residential (40 psf). They are able to go higher mostly as a result of using lighter floor design loading. The reinforcing of the existing building core is to account for the added wind effects from the taller tower.
Ah, right. Thanks for clarifying. I guess there are fewer Xerox machines and filing cabinets in a typical residential building...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Beyond just the floor design, the original 32 story structure was concrete and this one is steel.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:56 PM
There is always a way

Is there any word on what is going on. According to a guy I know who works in materials supply industry the whole thing has sorta slipped off people's radar screen. Wondering if someone could perhaps provide a reliable update

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Beyond just the floor design, the original 32 story structure was concrete and this one is steel.
Steel construction huh? I cannot wait to watch that going up. Especially at 42 storys.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Is there any word on what is going on. According to a guy I know who works in materials supply industry the whole thing has sorta slipped off people's radar screen. Wondering if someone could perhaps provide a reliable update
"A reliable source" has told me "it's full steam ahead... just requires a lot of underground work now". Cryptic, but going ahead lol. While the foundation is existing, it requires some bracing and associated work, so that's the very next step.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:05 PM

the general public isn't even aware this one is going to go up. I told a few people that Winnipeg will be getting a new tallest and they all thought I was referring to TNS

Will be very nice to see cranes that high in this city, once it finally gets going

Been a steady stream of cranes downtown since the human right museum has been built, hasn't there...alt, CMHR, glasshouse, 300 Assiniboine, d condo, now TNS and then this...(as far as bigger developments go)

one-ish building at a time but its been persistent which is nice

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan