HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 7:29 PM
There is always a way

How old was he?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
How old was he?
69... apparently fairly sick in the last little while.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 12:38 AM

Anyone with an interest in Japanese design has a rare opportunity to live in a house designed by the late Stanley Osaka, one of the founding partners of IKOY Architectural. I viewed it at today's open house and while it is definitely a Canadian home, I've never seen so many Japanese design touches in a Winnipeg house... it's amazing. Apparently Mr. Osaka did some doctoral studies in civic design Japan under some heavy hitters including Kenzo Tange (!)...trying to find Tange-inspired design touches could be a fun parlour game in this home.

http://cobrand.realtor.ca/PropertyDe...Key=-345039018

Anyway, I have nothing to do with the sale of this home, I just posted it for interest's sake and in hopes that someone here who appreciates architecture and design will buy it and take good care of it... maybe even prevent it from being gutted and replaced with IKEA everything.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 2:32 PM

OK, I don't really get it but apparently there are hordes of people out and about all over town playing Pokémon Go on their phones, which requires physical exploration of the city to find characters needed to win the game.

From an urbanist standpoint, I like this element of the game which gets people out on the streets exploring. I just hope they look up from their phones from time to time to notice what's around them

https://www.reddit.com/r/Winnipeg/co...r_pokémon_go/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 2:38 PM

Lots of stories out there already. Someone found a dead body by a river (you need to explore different terrains to find the Pokemon, so need to explore near water), people falling into holes while not watching. Guy on skateboard staring at his phones bails after hitting crack in sidewalk. Things like that.

So yes, look up at the surroundings. Not only for safety, but to see the beauty!

FYI, I've never played Pokemon. But this is actually a good way to get people out and about. Especially the kids of today.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

FYI, I've never played Pokemon. But this is actually a good way to get people out and about. Especially the kids of today.
I think you should say "young adults" instead of kids. the people getting hurt are 20-25 yr olds from what I heard. I just spent the last 3 weekends at ball diamonds for my kids (boy 10 girl 12) and let me tell you, the "kids of today " are getting plenty of exercise in my household and many others. eventhough they are young, between high level hockey and ball, there's very little time for vids.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 3:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Good for them. I could watch kid's ball games for hours. That's how my interest in baseball started.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 3:40 PM

Fantastic. Not generalizing, just the way it is. I have many family members who work in the public school system. Many kids simply sit around playing video games or watching TV.

I don't take offense when I see all these news articles, etc about the millennial generation and how lazy and entitled they are. I know I worked hard for everything I have, nothing was given to me.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 3:57 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

It's very clever for Nintendo to come up with this. It actually brings kids and adults who used to play Pokemon in the late 90's and early 2000's, to go outside and actually enjoy the fresh air. After all, it is summer, and kids should be out and about taking in some sun and walking around.

Although I've been hearing that the older crowd are playing while driving, and there have already been reports of accidents and crashes on the roadways, which defeats the purpose of the game to begin with.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
OK, I don't really get it but apparently there are hordes of people out and about all over town playing Pokémon Go on their phones, which requires physical exploration of the city to find characters needed to win the game.
It is actually interesting that the developer of Pokémon Go had a similar game for several years about an alien invasion. Basically you signed up to be on one of two teams -- supporting or opposing the aliens and needed to hold specific real world locations.

The idea for Pokémon Go came about in part when Google and Nintendo started talking about an April Fools joke. Things went while and Nintendo gave approvals to the Google team behind the alien invasion game to start work on what became Pokémon Go. Oddly though the first title remained a relatively obscure niche title. Along those same lines, Nintendo's first real hit in the smartphone space is a game they didn't develop!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Anyone with an interest in Japanese design has a rare opportunity to live in a house designed by the late Stanley Osaka, one of the founding partners of IKOY Architectural. I viewed it at today's open house and while it is definitely a Canadian home, I've never seen so many Japanese design touches in a Winnipeg house... it's amazing. Apparently Mr. Osaka did some doctoral studies in civic design Japan under some heavy hitters including Kenzo Tange (!)...trying to find Tange-inspired design touches could be a fun parlour game in this home.

http://cobrand.realtor.ca/PropertyDe...Key=-345039018

Anyway, I have nothing to do with the sale of this home, I just posted it for interest's sake and in hopes that someone here who appreciates architecture and design will buy it and take good care of it... maybe even prevent it from being gutted and replaced with IKEA everything.
Link didn't work for me so reposting the mls id in case it doesn't work for others.

http://winnipegrealestatenews.com/Pr...Number=1618168

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It is actually interesting that the developer of Pokémon Go had a similar game for several years about an alien invasion. Basically you signed up to be on one of two teams -- supporting or opposing the aliens and needed to hold specific real world locations.

The idea for Pokémon Go came about in part when Google and Nintendo started talking about an April Fools joke. Things went while and Nintendo gave approvals to the Google team behind the alien invasion game to start work on what became Pokémon Go. Oddly though the first title remained a relatively obscure niche title. Along those same lines, Nintendo's first real hit in the smartphone space is a game they didn't develop!
That game was called Ingress, developed by Niantic Labs, which is owned by Google. I tried Ingress for a little while, but couldn't really get into it. Pokemon GO sounds very similar to what Ingress was/is

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberfan68 View Post
Link didn't work for me so reposting the mls id in case it doesn't work for others.

Thanks for that, the original link didn't work for me.

Wow. What a beauty...you could go to Hooper's and furnish the whole place.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Good for them. I could watch kid's ball games for hours. That's how my interest in baseball started.
Provincial for daughter last weekend in Stonewall (won Gold, ), Provincials for son in Boissevain this weekend! My sunflower seed consumption during ball season is putting a major dent in my weight loss plans!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
That game was called Ingress, developed by Niantic Labs, which is owned by Google. I tried Ingress for a little while, but couldn't really get into it. Pokemon GO sounds very similar to what Ingress was/is
Pokémon Go is heavily based on the Ingress game. Thanks for posting the name. Both were developed by Niantic Labs. Nintendo's role was mostly supplying the IP and guiding and approving how it is used.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberfan68 View Post

That looks like a fantastic house for that price. If I were at all down with suburbia (and didn't have terrible credit) I'd be all over it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Thanks for that, the original link didn't work for me.

Wow. What a beauty...you could go to Hooper's and furnish the whole place.
Already has some nice teak and art from a famous Winnipegger - can't recall the name though. Has a mural on the Walker Theatre from what i recall? Senior moment!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
That looks like a fantastic house for that price. If I were at all down with suburbia (and didn't have terrible credit) I'd be all over it.
Sigh. House appears to be off the market. Wish I'd seen the listing earlier! In the market right now, and this one looked fantastic. Price seemed a little too good to be true, but you never know.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Already has some nice teak and art from a famous Winnipegger - can't recall the name though. Has a mural on the Walker Theatre from what i recall? Senior moment!
Winston Leathers

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Winston Leathers
Yes. Thank you!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan