HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:02 AM
Pay it Forward

Us cities with the most $100k+ jobs right now

Meh $100,000 meant so much more 25 years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillist
THESE ARE THE CITIES WITH THE MOST $100K+ JOBS RIGHT NOW

By JAMES CHRISMAN @james_chrisman2
Published On 08/08/2018

Much like your parents, we here at Thrillist humbly recommend that you get a job. Everything in life will be way easier with money, and it will give you something to talk about with people you meet at parties. And you'll seem way more interesting if that job pays enough that you can buy drinks for those fellow party-goers.

With that in mind, we recommend that when you're looking for work, you look to one of these 15 cities, which have the most jobs paying over $100,000 right now. The new list comes from Ladders, which often puts out reports like this. It's not guaranteed that if you get a Greyhound ticket to these cities you'll instantly be making enough money to stop taking the Greyhound, but it won't hurt your chances.

Here are the top 15 cities:
15. Baltimore, MD – 4,479 jobs available
14. Austin, TX – 4,571 jobs available
13. Minneapolis – Saint Paul, MN – 5,033 jobs available
12. Houston, TX – 5,339 jobs available
11. Denver, CO – 6,388 jobs available
10. Philadelphia, PA – 8,205 jobs available
9. Seattle, WA – 8,416 jobs available
8. Atlanta, GA – 8,628 jobs available
7. Dallas, TX – 9,014 jobs available
6. Chicago, IL – 11,853 jobs available
5. Los Angeles, CA – 13,532 jobs available
4. Boston, MA – 14,405 jobs available
3. Washington, D.C. – 18,547 jobs available
2. New York, NY – 25,041 jobs available
1. San Francisco, CA – 30,053 jobs available

It should come as no surprise that the only city really competing with San Francisco here is New York, where you will also be subject to an entirely different brand of self-importance and high rent...
https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...0k-august-2018

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Meh $100,000 meant so much more 25 years ago...
This should be weighted by population. It would tell a lot more.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:23 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
This should be weighted by population. It would tell a lot more.
yeah, this means nothing. 100k in a coastal city is like 35k in the midwest...or something like that.

it's actually pretty disturbing how few there are in los angeles...

philly, chicago, dallas, minneapolis...theres the sweet spot.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
yeah, this means nothing. 100k in a coastal city is like 35k in the midwest...or something like that.

That is insane considering greater Los Angeles is twice the size of Chicagoland and like three times as expensive yet there are only a couple thousand more people making 100K. I guess this ties into California having the highest poverty rate when adjusted for cost of living.

But wait, is this cut off at city proper?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
That is insane considering greater Los Angeles is twice the size of Chicagoland and like three times as expensive yet there are only a couple thousand more people making 100K. I guess this ties into California having the highest poverty rate when adjusted for cost of living.

NYC is more than 2x larger than LA. By that logic, LA and NYC seem to be equal here for $100,000 jobs if it's just city proper with thee numbers.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:

Its not whos making that much right now, its what jobs are available at that pay, and i bet its based on city proper

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Its not whos making that much right now, its what jobs are available at that pay, and i bet its based on city proper
Even city proper sounds crazy since San Francisco doesn't even have a million people in it's CP and New York has 8 fucking million...

These numbers don't make any sense.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:

Yeah 2nd me for that question as well.

If we are talking city proper or city limits, this list is deceiving. There are tons of jobs in the suburbs that make way over that. Let's not make it seem like a 100k job is out of reach or that its a rarity. Plus, a lot is factored in to overall compensation. You could make 80k, but get a 15k bonus or 5k vehicle allowance, train pass and so on. Perks, things of that nature add up... fuel card, ect.. Base salary isn't the only form of money is my point.

If one wants to save, one of those jobs out in the cheaper suburbs is the best. A 100k job in Manhattan will not get you to the lap of luxury. You'll eat, you'll be able to go out at night, but you won't be swimming in cash UNLESS you get very lucky and get an affordable lottery apartment.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Even city proper sounds crazy since San Francisco doesn't even have a million people in it's CP and New York has 8 fucking million...

These numbers don't make any sense.
If you see it, why are you not applying the same reasoning that you used for LA? NYC is in the same boat LA is here. You pointed it out, not me.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I bet it's off what the job listing says, and some places will say the core city even if the job is in the suburbs, and other places won't. So it's probably completely bullshit.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:43 PM

I'm coming to the conclusion that these numbers sound like some bullshit.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:

Depends... 100K is at least a 75 percentile salary just about everywhere. And a lot of people confuse salary and household income. For instance, the median household income in the Bay Area is hovering just under $90K in the Bay Area. If you have two earners that are individually making $90K then in total they are making $180K, or twice the median household income.

But my point about weighting the number of 100K jobs available by population is that it will show how many workers per $100+ job there are. That will likely show cities that are growing like gangbusters bubble closer to the top (Austin comes to mind). New York has the second highest number of 100K salary jobs available, but it really doesn't look that great when you consider that NYC is at least twice the size of every other metro area in the country except L.A.

Tl;dr; if you weight by population then big cities like NYC, LA, Chicago won't look so great.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:54 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Depends... 100K is at least a 75 percentile salary just about everywhere. And a lot of people confuse salary and household income. For instance, the median household income in the Bay Area is hovering just under $90K in the Bay Area. If you have two earners that are individually making $90K then in total they are making $180K, or twice the median household income.

But my point about weighting the number of 100K jobs available by population is that it will show how many workers per $100+ job there are. That will likely show cities that are growing like gangbusters bubble closer to the top (Austin comes to mind). New York has the second highest number of 100K salary jobs available, but it really doesn't look that great when you consider that NYC is at least twice the size of every other metro area in the country except L.A.

Tl;dr; if you weight by population then big cities like NYC, LA, Chicago won't look so great.
well, housing is cheaper by quite a large margin in chicago, compared to the other two, at least if you are a home owner. i mean this is what increasingly keeps STEM professionals like me in the midwest, when the salary adjustments for (say) los angeles are a joke unless you are on the techbro side.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:29 PM

another question... gross or net income? So many people in LA are 1099 self employed. Entertainment, Real estate, marketing, production, etc. i suspect similar in NYC and SF

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:

New York seemed really low too. It's a city of 8.5 million and there are only 25,000?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
another question... gross or net income? So many people in LA are 1099 self employed. Entertainment, Real estate, marketing, production, etc. i suspect similar in NYC and SF
Yea, they are. It's incredible actually.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea, they are. It's incredible actually.
Not to mention all of the trust fund kids and the other millionaires that don't have a job or traditional income.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:16 PM

This is the source of this list, according to Wikipedia:

The Ladders.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheLadders.com

So, do with it what you will.

I'm sure their lists are as reliable as the ones from CreditDonkey.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Not to mention all of the trust fund kids and the other millionaires that don't have a job or traditional income.
Millionaires have "traditional" income . . . from dividends, interest and capital gains (and sometimes "return of capital"). All reported on either 1099s or K-1s.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:02 AM
Paradise Island

I've noticed tons more out of state license plates from certain states in Minneapolis this summer - New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and California. I think coastal professionals are starting to realize how much farther their money goes here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions