HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
It looks like the Sears Tower with Down Syndrome.
yeah,couple problems with that statement,well the facade is totally different colors and the sears towers is more like a bundle of rectangles that end at specific floors but this is continuous and happens to taper at the top so wherever you pulled that comment out of i think you should put it back

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Really, now?

As a disabled person, I could perhaps allow myself to get butt-hurt six ways to Armageddon about this; but not here.

It's not about me.

I respectfully suggest that there be undertaken much greater consideration as to how far people with the condition cited above have really come to enjoy lives that actually now pass the half-century mark in years. This can be extended to include all disabled folk, if you wish, too.

It's been too much of a fight for them to be made sport of as thoughtlessly and viciously as they have in this culture.

Let's move on. No offense taken.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
It looks like the Sears Tower with Down Syndrome.
You're so right!!!

As a matter of fact, look at this rip off! Look at this cheap knockoff of the empire state building!

Both have windows (made out of glass), both have setbacks, both have doors, both have elevators and they're even roughly the same height! Can you believe the nerve of these people ripping off the ESB like that? Unbelievable!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:33 AM

The big thing these days seems to be to make buildings arbitrarily blocky - vaguely deconstructivist, but without any real vision or purpose. That more of less seems to be what's going on on the lower floors of this building. I actually like the tapering effect at the top, though - I think it will produce some really neat resonances between Chrysler and BoA on the 42nd St. corridor. And to their credit, it looks like the designers are going to go for higher quality materials for the facade.

All in all, if this plan comes to pass, I think it will exceed the extremely low bar for top-of-the-line contemporary office building design... and will fall wildly short of pre-war standards.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:50 AM

I like the design. It just seems that lobby is too airy for that those streets. It would seem like a better fit fronting Park Avenue or something.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:51 AM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
All in all, if this plan comes to pass, I think it will exceed the extremely low bar for top-of-the-line contemporary office building design... and will fall wildly short of pre-war standards.
I agree, though I wonder how much of that mediocre and restrictive architecture is due to costs associated with increasingly complex ways to build and outfit buildings. The struggle seems to be between a building that's elegant and timeless and a building that has an outstanding communication infrastructure. Lets hope the invisible hand of the market demands a little nuance sometime soon.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
(1) The big thing these days seems to be to make buildings arbitrarily blocky - vaguely deconstructivist, but without any real vision or purpose. That more of less seems to be what's going on on the lower floors of this building. (2) I actually like the tapering effect at the top, though - I think it will produce some really neat resonances between Chrysler and BoA on the 42nd St. corridor. And to their credit, it looks like the designers are going to go for higher quality materials for the facade.

(3) All in all, if this plan comes to pass, I think it will exceed the extremely low bar for top-of-the-line contemporary office building design... and will fall wildly short of pre-war standards.
(1) That's just an unfortunate product of office space layouts. It is why the great skyscrapers today will have to be residential.

(2) I agree, the tapering is nice, however my gripe with the design is the horizontal bands which detract from verticality. It looks like a 1960s redux for the facade treatment.

(3) I agree, it has already fallen well short of the pre-war standards, as has One57, Nordstrom, and 432 Park. New York is reaching for great heights. It would have been nice to reach for great architecture as well.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Once again, the door opens to take the conversatipn off track. Keep the discussion on this tower. If you want to discuss the state of architecture in general, do so in that forum.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 6:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Here's another misguided argument against altering the skyline....

http://www.citylandnyc.org/tear-down...sler-building/

Tear Down the Chrysler Building?

Anthony C. Wood
08/07/2014

Quote:
Save our skyline. If not, tear down the Chrysler building and demolish the Empire State Building. If action isn’t taken these stars of the New York City skyline will be permanently eclipsed. If the public can’t see them, why preserve them? Even the preservation resistant Real Estate Board of New York would likely gasp at the notion of demolishing these two iconic New York landmarks.

“The view of the New York skyline is nationally and internally renowned,” so stated Judge Richard McGill in a ruling against a Weehawken project that would have blocked it. The presence in the skyline of the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building are as quintessentially New York as Central Park or the Statue of Liberty. The public can still feast their eyes on them from multiple vantage points, whether from the approaches to New York City or from its sidewalks. How much longer will that be the case?

Mayor de Blasio’s recently announced plans to encourage a 65-story tower directly west of Grand Central Terminal, soaring some 150 feet above the Chrysler Building, is just the latest misguided effort that will ultimately steal from New Yorkers the familiar sight of these cherished landmarks.

The city just dodged a bullet when Vornado decided not to go forward with its approved tower for 15 Penn Plaza, which would have seriously encroached on the Empire State Building. New York was not so lucky with the building of Extell’s One 57 and the construction of 217 West 57th Street (the Nordstrom Tower). The blotting out of key elements of the historic skyline is happening here and now.

Can one put a dollar figure on the loss of New York’s skyline? Can one even fully document the impact of the loss of such a world-class amenity? No—but it is undeniable that New Yorkers will lose something they love and value: public views of the icons they treasure. Clearly the skyline should change over time. That change, however, does not have to lead to the wanton destruction of its present glory.

http://by-encore.squarespace.com/

Quote:
ONE VANDERBILT : New 65 story tower near Grand Central to stand taller than the Chrysler Building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 10:34 AM
don't *meddle*...

^ What a moron. The Chrysler has been eclipsed a long time ago. Let's just all stop building skyscrapers in New York ... what an idiot.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Fox News has signed on for space now? That would be a big boost to the project.

Last edited by Onn; Aug 12, 2014 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 2:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

^thats a joke right?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 2:29 PM

Might as well tear down the plaza too. After all, its acclipsed by the Solow building and the 57th street giants.

More proof the NIMBY crowd is effected by mental illness.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^thats a joke right?
Kid you...not.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 9:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Fox News has signed on for space now? That would be a big boost to the project.
Probably just a render of the space in use. TD Bank is supposed to have a large presence in the ground floor space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^ What a moron. The Chrysler has been eclipsed a long time ago. Let's just all stop building skyscrapers in New York ... what an idiot.
Just another guy afraid of change.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 9:41 PM

Looks like Fox News Network is looking to leave 1211 AofA?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 10:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears View Post
Looks like Fox News Network is looking to leave 1211 AofA?
Possibly, but not here. These renderings were all done before TD Bank was brought on as anchor tenant.

Quote:
http://nypost.com/2014/05/22/td-bank...5-story-tower/

The NJ-based bank would consolidate multiple divisions in the base of the planned 1.1 million square-foot building and would be its anchor tenant, according to sources briefed on the discussions.

The bank would also install a major flagship bank branch.

“It would include branding and signage and will really be somewhat dramatic,” said one source.

Current branch there

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Didn't make it out to "summer streets" this year, but I really do hope they find a way to close off the Park Avenue viaduct, at least on the western half, to traffic permanently. It could be a new park along the lines of the High Line, yet in a more dense area of skyscrapers. Then, along with the observation deck above, we'd have a space below to take in the busy cityscape.

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...tral-landlord/

Brechtbug

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 3:13 AM

It's amazing how the Metlife Building actually compliments Grand Central Station. A rather splendid architectural juxtapose.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:34 AM
BANNED

yes the (former) asbestos in the building agree

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive