HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:16 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
What kind of stuff will they be shipping from the port of Churchill?
My guess would be that there will be a bulk grain terminal, and perhaps even a container terminal, both for shipping to/from Europe.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:53 AM
ARTchitecture

That's great news. If I had any sway in policy, I would also encourage the navy to establish a base at Churchill. But this is good enough for now

Would be nice if they built a highway to Churchill, though I'm guessing that the topography of the area doesn't allow that? But if that is the case, how did they build the railway to it? Hmmm
The reason I would support a highway is for trucking traffic to also take advantage of the port and it would also help the cities of the Pas and Thompson economically as well I'm pretty sure.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:48 PM

Just got back from Rankin Inlet this morning. Shipping from Churchill will probably be construction and Mining equipment. Curently there are 3 mines in EA or construction. A new Gold mine 27 k outside of Rankin is about 2 years away from constrcution.

Mines fro Arviat, Baker Lake and Chestrfied Inlet are all on the boards.

Wish list is to build an All weather raod right up the west side of the bay.

Long term plans are for at least 8 mines in the region.

Also anounce last week is a 27mil upgrade to the Rankin Airport. The town has also seviced another large track of land for more housing.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:46 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
That's great news. If I had any sway in policy, I would also encourage the navy to establish a base at Churchill. But this is good enough for now

Would be nice if they built a highway to Churchill, though I'm guessing that the topography of the area doesn't allow that? But if that is the case, how did they build the railway to it? Hmmm
The reason I would support a highway is for trucking traffic to also take advantage of the port and it would also help the cities of the Pas and Thompson economically as well I'm pretty sure.
Rail lines can float on ties. Roads can't. They just turn to unusable mush. It is actually more practical to plow snow off frozen rivers and use those, or in summer, to fly things in. A highway could be built, but it would be rough, and hell to maintain.

The Hudson Bay Lowlands are so swampy that the prospectors in the area use snowshoes to keep from sinking into the mud. Most human settlements are on stilts, or patches of more solid land.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:06 AM
ARTchitecture

Yeah I knew that is why they don't have a road yet, but there must be some way that they can do it. But I'm guessing that won't happen until the arctic is ice free and more profitable resource prospects open up.

and I'm pretty sure the road they are considering to go to Rankin and Arviat is supposed to bypass Churchill and take a solid-land route.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:17 AM
I am a typical

If the Arctic is ice free, that will probably just reduce the permafrost and make it muddier, although it would increase the necessity for a permanent road since the ice roads won't be feasible anymore. We barely got a chance to build them last winter.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:19 AM
ARTchitecture

That's brutal. and no I just mean ice free during the summers. I pray to gods we never see an ice free arctic winter.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 8:13 PM

Rankin Inlet Mens Correction and Healing Centre, The locals call it the Day Care.

33 unit Staff housing, during the 3 day blizzard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timtayl...in/photostream

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 5:58 AM
ARTchitecture

MAJOR update for the Whitehorse section!

Mah's Point - 6 story residential - Whitehorse - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rivers Reach - 4 story residential - Whitehorse - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Whistle Bend - residential subdivision, population 8000 - Whitehorse - Phase 1 UNDER CONSTRUCTION, Phase 2 Approved

plus many more projects on the front page of the thread

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 3:12 PM
Getting sick of the NCF

Sorry for a wikipedo article, but there isn't any other info dated after 2008 on this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baffinland_Iron_Mine Looks pretty interesting

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 5:42 AM

Chadillacc

some updates from the front page.

Piqsalarevic Cultural centre, is complete. I'll post a photo this weekend.

The Rankin Jail shown at the beginning of the thread is in fact the 33 unit staff housing. See above photos of the progress of both projects. the 33 unit is ready for occupancy. MCHC will be ready in the new year.

Also in Rankin a new office building for Saku and an expansion of Nanuq Lodge.

F H Collins HS in Whitehorse is in the design phase right now.

Fort Smith Health Care centre under construction now.

Repulse Bay Heath Centre a 3 story care centre and staff housing is under construction.

Kuglugtuk Hamlet Office is under construction.

Qikiqtani Hamlet office starts construction in the spring.

Will have some Whitehorse photos next week.

Yukon Correction centre is under construction.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertantraingeek View Post
Sorry for a wikipedo article, but there isn't any other info dated after 2008 on this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baffinland_Iron_Mine Looks pretty interesting
What I was told last week was they are going through the final stage of the approval process ad should start Construction in 12 - 18 months.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Some of the places you listed are not in the Territories. Canada's North traditionally includes more than just the Territories, but now I noticed the thread title says "Territories".
In a broader, and somewhat historical sense, Territories could be expanded to include anything that was once Rupert's Land. So with that thinking the northern portions of the western provinces could still be considered part of Canada's Territories.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 6:46 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
In a broader, and somewhat historical sense, Territories could be expanded to include anything that was once Rupert's Land. So with that thinking the northern portions of the western provinces could still be considered part of Canada's Territories.
Rupert's Land's former territory includes the Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton and Calgary regions. The Territories, Nunavik, Former Keewatin and Labrador are good enough.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 6:59 AM
ARTchitecture

I'm also thinking of including developments in Thompson and Churchill... maybe the Pas? due to how remote and northern they are. any thoughts?

also, does anyone have any insight into developments in those areas?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 4:12 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I believe all those places are in the Former Keewatin.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 7:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I'm also thinking of including developments in Thompson and Churchill... maybe the Pas? due to how remote and northern they are. any thoughts?

also, does anyone have any insight into developments in those areas?
Just a quick correction; it's spelled The Pas, with a capital T

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 5:12 AM

I think we included Nunavik so the Lower Hudson Bay should be as well. The Pas may be a little to far south. Churchill is considered the gateway to the Kivalik Region.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:54 AM
ARTchitecture

Yeah but The Pas isn't really represented anywhere else, might aswell do it here

Updated the list!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 4:51 PM

Photo Update.
Piqqusilirivvi Inuit Cultural Centre

RCMP Y Division Phase 1

Arctic College and Nunavut Research Centre

St Judes

I head up to Whitehorse today so will post some from the Yukon over the weekend

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada