HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 11:06 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Mitch, are you from Prince Rupert?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 5:56 AM
I'm cheap

Wow... That's a throw back for me. I'm from Rupert. But I didn't realize that Prince Rupert was now in Alberta

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:51 PM

My favourite small town in Alberta is Calgary, cute little place

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 12:35 PM
BANNED

Does anyone know anything about Leduc? I will be moving there in a few days for a job. I've been through it, and I like the lake and the close proximity to Edmonton, but has anyone lived there?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I'll have to say my hometown of Cochrane:

JHennicke on flickr - One of the side streets in the downtown

mjb84 on Flickr

We've so far managed to avoid Walmart (and its sounding like we may have inadvertently blocked their latest attempt as well), though Safeway and Canadian Tire did do some damage to the business community when they opened by refocusing where the retail core of the town was. The downtown is pretty well kept and thanks to local bylaws everything has a "western heritage" look to it, in some cases overboard towards the touristy view of it, but in most cases it gives it a distinct look.

Otherwise I'll have to say Lacombe is also a favorite of mine, like Cochrane its grown quite a bit but the downtown especially still has the small town feel to it. Some of the smaller towns west of it are also quite interesting to visit, I've found them to also seem more 'alive' then some similar sized communities in the southern part of the province even just from passing through them.

my family absolutely LOVES Cochrane! we make it a point to always pass through on the way to and from BC. we always make sure we stop at MacKay's Ice Cream shop and this year hit Olive R Twist restaurant for supper before heading home! it's one of my favorite Alberta towns along with Canmore and Banff.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 8:44 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I really like Nanton. One of those rare towns where a major highway (#2) runs right through it and slows down to 50km/h, and they seem to have done every thing imaginable to take advantage.

population 2100
- golf course
- camp ground
- large rec centre
- Bomber Command museum
- Museum of miniatures
- Candy store
- Multiple antique stores including a building which would have been 2 retail units and ~6 apartments upstairs 100 yrs ago, now all one antique store (+ the basement), and art galleries http://www.antiquewalk.com/
- Grain elevator museum
- Hotel lounge with live music and interesting taxidermy
- Another bar with a backyard patio
- Upstairs wine and cocktail bar with balcony patio
- Ultimate Trains http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Ul...501/story.html

etc. It's amazing haha.

http://calgaryregion.ca/crp/calgary-...tml#ad-image-0

google maps

Last edited by DizzyEdge; May 8, 2017 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:59 AM
Moran supreme

There were a few people who mentioned a place called Macleod that is a town but could be considered a city or vice versa - for the life of me I do not know of any sizable town called Macleod in Alberta and I've lived here all of my 55+ years. I do know of Fort Macleod but it is no where near what one could consider a large town.

On another note, High River is a really nice town and Wetaskiwin is a very nice small city, both have retained a lot of their heritage and just have a very unique homey feel to them.

Last edited by speedog; May 10, 2017 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 1:54 PM
Change is good

"Fort Macleod, originally named Macleod, is a town in the southwest corner of the province of Alberta, Canada."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Macleod

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:32 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Fort Macleod has a beautiful one block main street, but it always seems to be pretty dead when I stop in

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.72553...7i13312!8i6656

Wetaskawin has a perhaps slightly less ornate historical single block, but has a second full block of more 40s-present shops as well, so all in all there's more happening.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:27 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
"Fort Macleod, originally named Macleod, is a town in the southwest corner of the province of Alberta, Canada."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Macleod
Okay but I've never heard Fort Macleod being called Macleod and I'm not sure how ue can consider Fort Macleod technically a city when it might have just passed 3,000 in population.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:25 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Okay but I've never heard Fort Macleod being called Macleod and I'm not sure how ue can consider Fort Macleod technically a city when it might have just passed 3,000 in population.
It would definitely not make sense to say Fort Macleod could be considered a city.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 12:30 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Lived in Vegreville, St. Paul, Cold Lake, Pincher Creek, Edmonton and Calgary... Can't say I'm a fan of most of them TBH... Pincher Creek and Calgary obviously have the best scenery but that's about it. Edmonton for better or for worse is home for now and I do like its eclectic mix of industrial grit, political and cultural hub and wacky liberal college town... Austin & Portland meets Minneapolis & Chicago...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitydude View Post
my family absolutely LOVES Cochrane! we make it a point to always pass through on the way to and from BC. we always make sure we stop at MacKay's Ice Cream shop and this year hit Olive R Twist restaurant for supper before heading home! it's one of my favorite Alberta towns along with Canmore and Banff.
yup Canmore is pretty nice! we love it there and usually take a rest stop at MacKay's for ice cream. shout out to Beaumont for one of the best towns in Alberta. very pretty there.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:36 PM

St Albert for me. Small town feel but close to Edmonton. Hell I am closer to downtown that people living in Windermere.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:12 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
At over 65 000 people I'm not sure I would consider St. Alberta as small town/city.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 7:50 PM

What seems like a long time ago (early '80s) I lived in Okotoks. I liked it. Did a little tenting at the park too — great spot. A few years later I lived in Camrose for a couple of years. My son was born there. It's a great town too.

Regards,
Steve

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia