HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:16 PM

Fort McMurray unveils first plans for wildfire memorial

The monument is funded in part by a $400K donation from the Ontario Sikhs and Gurdwara Council

By David Thurton , CBC News Posted: Feb 22, 2018 8:00 AM MT

An artist's rendering of the lookout monument the municipality hopes to build to commemorate the sacrifice of first responders and residents. (Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo)

Fort McMurray plans to build a wildfire memorial that will stand like a watchtower in the forest, scanning the distance for the threat of fires.

Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in March or April and should be complete this summer, according to the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.

The 2016 Fort McMurray wildfire was one of Canada's most devastating natural disasters. The flames destroyed 2,579 residences. So far, 406 units — almost 16 per cent of those destroyed — have been rebuilt.

A map of the location of the lookout monument in the subdivision of Abasand. (Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rial-1.4546109

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:42 PM

Last week:

DSC_3940

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:58 PM

Huh... I thought that the Golden Buffalo project was completely abandoned and forgotten. But they're still giving updates on their project's woes. Apparently a lack of capital is the issue, as well they want to move the site of the project?

https://us12.campaign-archive.com/ho...&id=7e897c4b4a

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 5:56 AM

Landmark Cinemas Announces Grand Opening of its New Luxury Recliner Seating Theatre at The Commons at Eagle Ridge Friday, November 9, 2018

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...699038341.html

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:11 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Hey guys, the wildfire in California are sparking (heh) commentary about forest management. I remember there was a recommendation after the big fire that Fort McMurray plant a forest of poplar around the city. Has this been undertaken? Otherwise, has there been an effort to reduce the number of evergreens planted in the city?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 4:12 AM
Hamletropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Hey guys, the wildfire in California are sparking (heh) commentary about forest management. I remember there was a recommendation after the big fire that Fort McMurray plant a forest of poplar around the city. Has this been undertaken? Otherwise, has there been an effort to reduce the number of evergreens planted in the city?
There has been quite a lot of cut back of the tree line. There is now 30M buffer zones built around most homes and trees (poplar forest ) and high risk forest areas ( black & white spruce ) the cutback is 100m. This is not going to stop a forest fire threat to homes but it gives firefighters a chance to fight as opposed to trees growing up to and over homes as it was in the past.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:38 AM

[

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:08 AM

What do you guys make of the plan for fort Mac council (wood buffalo (aren’t they bisons?)) Wanting to put a moratorium on new work camps within 75km?

The intent is to increase business of fort Mac city.

Not sure if it’s a good idea as most of the work sites are far away and the drive would be brutal. Also realistically who wants to love their full time?

Last edited by mintzilla; Jan 30, 2019 at 2:08 AM. Reason: Formatting error

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:49 AM

It directly affects me.

I don't want to live in Fort Mac. I don't want to stay in Fort Mac. Neither does my family. If we did, we'd already have moved there.

This is another prime example of stupidity by municipal governments in this province.

There are thousands and thousands of people that are probably pretty angry about this.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:42 AM

Why don't you want to live there, afraid of the cold or something?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Why don't you want to live there, afraid of the cold or something?
Nah, the cold is fine. I work outdoors. The problem with fort mac is that there is next to nothing there and it's a long ways away from anywhere that does have something. Too isolated. No family or friends there either.

I enjoy living where I'm living. And I enjoy living in camp when I work.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:46 PM

One of the big issues is the lack of flights into the airport. There are thousands of people that could be using the airport but because of the fly in camps the airport is almost dead.

I can see the 75km radius but anything beyond that is to far for a daily drive.

I remember flying in when I had work at Midred lake.

I can see the company side in this, The safety and security of the sites if people have to fly in is easier.

It would be nice to see the number people flying in and the provinces they come from. That would help in pushing the narrative that it benefits the whole country.

I think Kitamat is watching this as well. Since most construction and some process workers will be fly in.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 11:04 AM

^ The landing fees at the Fort Mac airport are extreme so I'm told.

The 75km radius is as the crow flies. Firebag is a 120km drive, but 60 some km by the crow flies. Lol, yah, that's how well thought out this idiotic proposal is.

Measurements are taken from downtown Fort Mac via Google Maps.

As for the company side of this, they spent 100's of millions on camp infrastucture because the council told them to in prior years. Now council wants to pull it out from underneath them? Uhh, I don't think so.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Nah, the cold is fine. I work outdoors. The problem with fort mac is that there is next to nothing there and it's a long ways away from anywhere that does have something. Too isolated. No family or friends there either.
The solution to the problem is to build a home and live in Ft McMurray. The more people living in town would create more things to do, better transportation options, improved services etc etc etc... I wonder what the population of Fort McMurray would be if there were no work camps? I bet it would be the third largest city in Alberta which would be nothing to squawk at.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 6:15 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
The solution to the problem is to build a home and live in Ft McMurray. The more people living in town would create more things to do, better transportation options, improved services etc etc etc... I wonder what the population of Fort McMurray would be if there were no work camps? I bet it would be the third largest city in Alberta which would be nothing to squawk at.
Well there's 27 000 people in these camps. Some of them are likely locals that just live there when they are working but let's assume that amount is minimal. So 25 000 are FIFO for arguments sake. Some single, some with families so let's assume 1.5 people per worker. That's 37 000 potential people that could be living in Ft Mac.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:42 PM

is that extra people? I thought ft mac and grande prairie were about the same size, close to 70,000

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:50 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Ya, sorry - that would be extra people. It was sitting ~84 000 prior to the fires so significantly larger than GP which IIRC is around 55-60k (?).

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 11:26 PM

According to the unofficial 2018 municipal census, the city's new population is 69,088.
- Source

There is a lot of development just outside the city limits so I don't know if that includes all those people living just outside the limits. But i noticed they recently changed the sign of the population when you enter the city. It previously said 55,000.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
We don't want to live in Fort Mac. We want to live close to our family and friends. Imagine telling your significant other that she can't stay at her job that she enjoys very much because a municipality is forcing people to move there if they want to keep their job.

I can't see many people wanting to uproot their family and move there. This affects a lot more than just a worker being moved from camp to town.

This is a mind boggling proposal.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 10:35 PM

Ariel view of Fort McMurray as I was leaving the city. This is south side facing north, I forget which part of the city this is but I believe it may be Saline Creek/Industrial Park.

https://imgur.com/a/rseRzFO

I'm not sure why this photo became tiny but this is the work being done on the Willow Square longterm care facility, across from the hospital (as it should be in my opinion).

https://imgur.com/a/WbOgSaJ

An expansion (possible reconstruction? I heard they had a flood) of the ambulance bay at the Northern Lights hospital. You can also see the new blue panel that facility will wear.

https://imgur.com/a/xjf0G16

This is the new tower going up in Fort McMurray from the view of the Syncrude Towers' parking lot.

https://imgur.com/a/LLysM5D

Street level view of the tower. The top levels will have condos/apartments, whereas the middle will have a hotel, the first floor will have a restarant/bar. The bottom floor looks really nice as it has a very high ceiling, although I know they could have made up a better colour scheme for the panel (although I would have prefered glass myself).

https://imgur.com/a/AKattvY

Last edited by canadient_; Feb 11, 2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Photo links didn't work

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia