HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 11:31 AM

A good video of recent progress at the Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre. Lots of glass installed!

Some more progress has been made since this video went live. I'll try and get a pic of the site sometime soon. It's looking great!

https://rdc.ab.ca/about/community/ga...a-games-centre
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 7:01 PM

The new Lowe's building is coming along quickly in the new Southpointe Junction business plaza.

More on this plaza here: http://www.qualicocommercial.com/doc...7.pdf?sfvrsn=0

You can see the building going up in the background of this "owl box" here: http://alberta.owlbox.ca/PhotoGaller...37&homeID=1425
Are going insane.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 11:22 PM

The local media was given a tour of the new Gary W Harris building at RDC today.

The building is looking great!
http://rdnewsnow.com/article/548355/...open-next-year
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:17 PM

Thread has been quiet.

The Gary W. Harrs Canada Games Centre is in it's final stages of completion. She's looking pretty good. The walkway from RDC to the Centre is covered by solar panels which I thought was a pretty good idea. The roof of the centre is also covered in solar panels.

https://rdc.ab.ca/about/community/ga.../photo-gallery
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:25 PM

Also, houses are about to start going in at Liberty Landing (west side of Gasoline Alley). Website devoted to it here:

https://www.libertylanding.ca/
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:16 AM

Reclad work at the old Collins Barrow building (Centre 5010). I didn't know the extent of this job until I was driving at night and realized the top of the building has 4 orange light bars glowing. Noticed it the other night. Not too bad at all. They are also redoing the bottom exterior to be plaza like.

Render here: http://www.jllproperty.ca/assets/ima...0_9520387.jpeg
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:30 PM

I think the redevelopment of 5010 looks pretty good. I've been outside the city for a few weeks now, but there was also that new office building going up beside the Dairy Queen...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsma View Post
I think the redevelopment of 5010 looks pretty good. I've been outside the city for a few weeks now, but there was also that new office building going up beside the Dairy Queen...
Yah it actually looks pretty slick at night. I still need to grab a pic. But it looks like they are only redoing the southeast corner of the building. It would be great if the remaining three corners got the same reclad work.

Regarding that new office building - I guess it's going to be a medical centre. I just did some research on it and found the leasing ad here:

http://advantagecommercial.ca/proper...floor-options/
Are going insane.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 12:06 AM

Sorry for the large picture.

Here is the ongoing reclad of the old Collins Barrow building in downtown Red Deer. Pic was taken today.

Are going insane.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Sorry for the large picture.

Here is the ongoing reclad of the old Collins Barrow building in downtown Red Deer. Pic was taken today.

I like it. I was having a look the other day and was noticing the wood accents - assuming this is fake? - and other details that seemed to set this above most of the other office buildings downtown. Though it still gives me the weirds that the other three corners of the building were left with the original brick. It isn't awful - just seems a little disjointed.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 4:13 PM

I took some photos from around downtown Red Deer last week. Here are two of the fancy new 3-D Red Deer signs - associated with the upcoming Canada Winter Games - that have been popping up around the city.

This was taken from beside the downtown spray park/bocce court/speed skating oval:

And from in front of the new Servus arena:

Last edited by Willmsma; Sep 9, 2018 at 8:01 PM. Reason: Ok, my skillz in posting images still need some work. Here's another go.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 1:37 AM

Here are a few other photos from my walk last week:

This is a new condominium going up beside the downtown spray park. Dare I say it - and without seeing the finishing materials, I'm stepping out on a limb - but this might set a new bar for downtown residential buildings. There is a large underground parkade and - I hope - no surface parking. It is built to the street and, unlike almost every other condo downtown, isn't fenced off from the sidewalk.

The same building again.

Three Robins, which is a 55-and-up aging in place facility going up on 48th Avenue. Based on the rendering it doesn't look like it will be quite so swish as Alexandre Place...

Another picture of the construction site for Three Robins. The excavators are finished here and, though this isn't clear from the photo, it doesn't look like there's going to be underground parking. The rendering of the things looks like there will be surface parking behind the building.

Though you can't really tell, in the distance is downtown Red Deer's enormous orange parkade and transit centre. Bless them, they've removed the long-dead "living roof" and are finishing installation of solar panels in its place. In my view this is an upgrade.

The corner of the same building Tru.Albertan posted, which continues to look good. I passed through a few days after this photo was taken and a glass sculpturish thing has been added.

Then finally, just past the 5010 building on southbound Gaetz, is the new medical building completed about a month ago. Interestingly, it looks like it was possibly built on spec, with - judging from the for lease signs - only the top floor currently being rented.

Finally, this photo taken yesterday of Canada Games Square which - if memory serves - will be used for medal ceremonies.

Last edited by Willmsma; Sep 11, 2018 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 1:41 AM

Excellent Red Deer update, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:13 AM

Thanks Itom, it's a pleasure to contribute.

I feel like a runaway train of posting lately, but I've got a few more pics to put up.

A law office - across from the downtown library and City Hall - recently fenced-off and de-lawyered. There was talk of incorporating this house into the new "Justice Centre" due to begin construction sometime this year.

There was also talk of tearing it down to make room for the Justice Centre. It isn't the most fabulous thing going, but Red Deer doesn't have a huge number of houses from this era - roughly 100 years ago - so it'd be nice to see it preserved. It apparently has some additional historic value as well - a prominent Red Deer physician lived there, something like that? - so that's kinda' nice too.

A pic from behind the law office and capturing a better photo of the new solar panels on our parkade. The justice centre goez in front of the parkade where a decomissioned RCMP station and gravel parking lot now sits.

And everybody's favourite remand centre getting a new roof. Word is it isn't especially pretty on the inside - I'm delighted to write I still don't know this first hand - but for a jail plopped into the middle of a downtown, not as bad as it might have been.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
The same building again.
If this weren't a Red Deer thread, I would've thought it was something going up in the Vancouver suburbs. Looks good, thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
If this weren't a Red Deer thread, I would've thought it was something going up in the Vancouver suburbs. Looks good, thanks for sharing.
You're welcome, DKaz. Most of downtown Red Deer condo development dates - my guess -from the late 1990's and early 2000's, so thick fences and surface parking are prominent, especially in the largest developments. Recently there's been an effort at building better quality and with a nod to urban planning principles.

Last edited by Willmsma; Sep 12, 2018 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Here are a few other photos from my walk last week:

This is a new condominium going up beside the downtown spray park. Dare I say it - and without seeing the finishing materials, I'm stepping out on a limb - but this might set a new bar for downtown residential buildings. There is a large underground parkade and - I hope - no surface parking. It is built to the street and, unlike almost every other condo downtown, isn't fenced off from the sidewalk.

The same building again.

Yup. This is the kind of thing that downtown RD needs badly.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Yup. This is the kind of thing that downtown RD needs badly.
I work nearby and so I've had a chance to watch this thing go up over the last year or so. At first I was worried this was another aging-in-place facility - there are what, 4 or 5 in a row all clustered around the Golden Circle. It's been fun to see a developer take a risk on something different.

I'm hopeful for what it could do for downtown if we could get a few more of these to fill in the many gaps downtown. If Capstone were able to attract some private development things could begin to get interesting.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I work nearby and so I've had a chance to watch this thing go up over the last year or so. At first I was worried this was another aging-in-place facility - there are what, 4 or 5 in a row all clustered around the Golden Circle. It's been fun to see a developer take a risk on something different.

I'm hopeful for what it could do for downtown if we could get a few more of these to fill in the many gaps downtown. If Capstone were able to attract some private development things could begin to get interesting.
Yah, these kinds of structures belong in Capstone for sure. Capstone is the show stopper for downtown. I wish that the city would get it going quicker than it is... seems like prep work is taking forever. Didn't the City move to their new shop in 2009?
Are going insane.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Yah, these kinds of structures belong in Capstone for sure. Capstone is the show stopper for downtown. I wish that the city would get it going quicker than it is... seems like prep work is taking forever. Didn't the City move to their new shop in 2009?
I know. The pace seems glacial - for a long time progress seemed to consist of piling large rocks haphazardly near the middle of the thing.

Last time I was there - maybe a month ago? - they'd completed new sidewalks around The Quary and the organic grocery store, and appeared ready to start work on the Canada 150 square. Which still strikes me as bit of an odd way to prioritize development... (the sidewalks make lots of sense, the square a little less).

https://www.liveincapstone.ca/news/ gives an update on recent progress.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia