HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 5:20 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Those of us who have been here longer than a few years well remember Socred premier Bill Bennett famously declaring "British Columbia is Not for Sale".
Well, unless you're talking about a certain development company with ties to Asia that received a sweet insider deal to develop a large swath of land that aimed to change the face of that city and turn a former down & out area into an urban utopia

But yes I agree, there is so much more to BC than that. BC is not a one trick pony and has so much more to offer than crazy real estate speculation

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:58 PM

I could be wrong but there doesn't seem to be as much suburban resentment toward the central city in Vancouver compared to Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:44 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I could be wrong but there doesn't seem to be as much suburban resentment toward the central city in Vancouver compared to Toronto.
Depends where. Seems to be alive and well in Surrey.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:52 PM

It's not even close to the severity of Toronto.

Surrey Vs Vancouver is competitive and a rivalry.

Markham Vs Toronto is just a completely dysfunctional relationship.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:09 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It's not even close to the severity of Toronto.

Surrey Vs Vancouver is competitive and a rivalry.

Markham Vs Toronto is just a completely dysfunctional relationship.
Fair enough, can't say I was aware of any sort of animosity in the GTA at all.

Although I think Surrey vs Vancouver is more than competition and rivalry. First, Vancouver doesn't think of Surrey as a rival. Second, the complaints about transit money spent in Vancouver vs Surrey seem to be a form of resentment.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:25 AM

I don't think there's much animosity between the suburbs and Vancouver, Surrey is fast growing and on the move and I don't think spends much time thinking about itself in terms of its relationship to Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:57 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I don't think there's much animosity between the suburbs and Vancouver, Surrey is fast growing and on the move and I don't think spends much time thinking about itself in terms of its relationship to Vancouver
Shift would say otherwise.

There are quite a few people there who want Surrey to be the “new Mecca” of Metro Van simply because of its accelerating pop growth while disregarding other cities that can benefit from them, such as Langley. Langley gets the same treatment by NoF people and some Surreyites as Prince George or Kamloops.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:50 PM

I think of Surrey as the "Brampton" of the Lower Mainland (a blue collar suburb that "don't get no respect" which has become very South Asian), but in some ways it seems to have the boosterism of Mississauga (we're a real city!)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 12:03 AM

According to the latest Abacus poll, the federal Tories are at 24% in BC!

With those numbers I don't see them breaking out of the Fraser Valley and Interior...and maybe Richmond.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 5:21 PM

Cultural and climate similarities to BC are not to the east.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Cultural and climate similarities to BC are not to the east.
And not geography either.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:04 PM

Right-wingers in BC seem to like identifying with "the West" as a whole, progressives not so much.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:39 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Right-wingers in BC seem to like identifying with "the West" as a whole, progressives not so much.
That's western right wingers in general.

I always chuckle when Alberta folks start talking about western separation, insofar as they assume that a separated west would include BC. My experience is that most folks in BC would want nothing to do with that sort of arrangement.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post

I always chuckle when Alberta folks start talking about western separation, insofar as they assume that a separated west would include BC. My experience is that most folks in BC would want nothing to do with that sort of arrangement.
Yeah, the "West" (which by implication is right-wing) means Alberta and Saskatchewan. Manitoba has too many "eastern" middling characteristics while BC has that whole "left coast" thing going on.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:47 PM

James Moore took up the mantle of the West when he was interviewed about Trans Mountain. He said the decision was somehow done against the interests of the "West."

Yet the main opposition to Trans Mountain is in BC, not the Annex and the Plateau.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
BC used to be the "populist" capital of Canada, with leaders such as Vander Zalm and WAC Bennett (and on the left you had Dave Barrett). The groovy West Coast province also enthusiastically embraced the Reform Party in the 90s.

Fast forward to today "boring" Ontario has Doug Ford as Premier, Quebec is swinging heavily toward the CAQ and even Rachel Notley in Alberta seems to sounding like an "Eastern bastards freeze in the dark" Albertan in order to stave off the united right under Jason Kenney.

Meanwhile BC today has "dull and competent" John Horgan as premier, and two patricians leading the Liberal and Green parties. The BC Conservative Party went nowhere.

Andrew Wilkinson's main concern seems to be the "plight" of the $3 million homeowner. There were no right-wing populist challengers in the BC Liberal leadership race.

Why is this? Real estate boom making people feel less disaffected? West Coast culture in general? The name "Liberal" scaring away the hard-right from the BC Liberal Party?
Populism is not a political ideology, but rather, a style. A method as it were. Right-wing populists like Trump or left-wing populists like Bernie Sanders use the same method to tap into a vast field of disaffected voters -- to paint society being run by some powerful elites at the top, and then to pivot on the idea that they are here to speak for the middle class and the common man.

Bill VanderScam was a disaster, so it stands to reason that populism fell when he did. In more recent years, Gordon Campbell was a bit of a populist, but not to the same degree as Vander Zalm. Also, populism worked as a method to defeating the HST (thanks again VanderScam!)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:48 AM

Quote:

totally agree.

I work in Alberta and they hate BC and Vancouver because of the pipelines. They are always well turn off your heat if you don't like oil. blah blah blah. NE BC where I grew up may as well be Alberta and I am sure most of them would love to join Alberta if given the chance.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 6:38 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
totally agree.

I work in Alberta and they hate BC and Vancouver because of the pipelines. They are always well turn off your heat if you don't like oil. blah blah blah. NE BC where I grew up may as well be Alberta and I am sure most of them would love to join Alberta if given the chance.
Prince George & points north are a lot more aligned with Alberta than the rest of BC, that is for sure. Up in the Cariboo where our cabin is, there are a lot of people from the Alberta capital region who have summer places, whereas in the Shuswaps and Okanagan it tends to be a lot more Southern Albertans, but even in those regions I'd bet there's little alignment with Alberta on most matters.

It breaks down to the same old phenomena as always.. Edmontonians are envious and jealous of Calgary, And Calgarians are envious and jealous of Vancouver. Conversely most people in BC don't really even think about Alberta at all whereas Albertans are pre-occupied with BC. It's been that way for years and likely won't change any time soon.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:22 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:

I think that is changing, and probably includes Saskatchewan now instead of BC.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I think that is changing, and probably includes Saskatchewan now instead of BC.
After all, AB and SK were created out of NWT in 1905, eh? #brothers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia