HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:34 PM

July was YLW’s busiest month ever with 187,678 passengers! Maybe 2 million passengers is doable for 2018?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:01 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I've been wanting to go down, and snap some construction shots, but this constant smoke isn't very inspiring. Blech.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:56 AM

They poured the raft slab for ELLA today and apparently Burnco will be pouring the One Water Street slab in a couple weeks as well.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:39 PM

Okay, so here are my construction pics from a week ago.

First up is One Water Street:

One Water Street Construction by Ian, on Flickr

Seems to be some action across the street going on as well in the foreground here. Or maybe it is just a staging yard? (and info?)

Next is this development at Richter St. and Harvey Ave / Highway 97.

Kelowna Construction by Ian, on Flickr

Downtown ELLA is now above grade. This tower is very centrally located and will really add some weight to the heart of downtown.

And lat this newly completed looking project caught my eye. Which project is this?

Kelowna Developing by Ian, on Flickr

Also so many good looking girls in Kelowna...

That's it for construction pics but I will post many glamour pics later.

Cheers

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:56 PM

Great pics Ian! Thanks for sharing.

The construction site across the street(beside BNA) is the 15 storey "Ellis Parc".

And yes, Kelowna has lots of attractive people.. I only realized this when traveling to different cities.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:56 PM

Thanks for the pics! That last project is the Okanagan Innovation Centre, a tech incubator

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:04 PM

Thanks guys! So that is the location of Ellis. What a transformation for that part of town.

Also liked the Innovation Centre.

My next chance for construction pics is another year away, so will be fun to see the changes.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:32 PM
HVAC guru

That last photo- very Vancouver. We're not even seeing that type of development in much larger cities than Kelowna.

Heading home in a few weeks, will be neat to see the changes

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:06 PM

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 5:01 PM

^^Very interesting article. This 20+ years rendering is kind of ridiculous haha. I don't see anything this dense happening for another 50+ years.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:12 AM

I agree with Kev D, even for all those towers to rise within 50 years. There would have to be on average 2-3 towers under construction at all times between now and 2068. While I think it is possible, I would be long gone before that would come to fruition.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:09 AM

I think that is a "pie in the sky" type of rendering. Still it would be amazing to see! Kelowna already has quite a few high rises for its relatively small size, but they're spread out around town. If they were all together in the downtown area it would already look impressive.

The foundation for Ella was poured last week and the One Water Street foundation will be poured any day now.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 5:59 PM

Ellis Parc

Work has resumed on the Ellis Parc site.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy95 View Post
I think that is a "pie in the sky" type of rendering. Still it would be amazing to see! Kelowna already has quite a few high rises for its relatively small size, but they're spread out around town. If they were all together in the downtown area it would already look impressive.
Welcome aboard Jimmy

This has been my criticism all along about Kelowna but you're the only one that seems to understand that Kelowna's cool with high-rises as long as they're not downtown (unlike every other city on earth) but every time I mention this, no one else here seems to get it

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:04 AM

Well there are 4 major towers all being built in the downtown area currently, so it doesn't seem to be that pressing of an issue. (and if you don't consider the area around the stadium downtown then I feel your definition is far too tight).

If anything Kelowna has a somewhat Japanese style distribution of towers. A larger clump downtown, a secondary clump up town, and then a bunch of random solitary towers.

Also I don't think that render is meant to be taken as a literal interpretation of what will occurr, but more as a goal the city is working towards.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Welcome aboard Jimmy

This has been my criticism all along about Kelowna but you're the only one that seems to understand that Kelowna's cool with high-rises as long as they're not downtown (unlike every other city on earth) but every time I mention this, no one else here seems to get it
Don't worry, we get it. It's been frustrating growing up in a town that just seemed to constantly sprawl. But times are changing, obviously. This current council is about half the age (exaggerating slightly) of the prior councils of the past 20 years or so.. and they seem much more in favour of densifying the core areas of our city. As long as they don't demo all the character that is along Bernard, BUILD UP!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:46 AM

The recently poured slab at Ella

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:47 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Welcome aboard Jimmy

Actually, you seem to not be listening when people who live in Kelowna explain why having towers spread around isn't such a bad thing. I'll explain again.

Kelowna's road infrastructure was built for a city of 50,000 people. The city was never planned to be a major centre. Short-sighted, yes, but that's the reality of Kelowna right now. Most road arteries cannot be expanded making rush hour going in and out of central Kelowna already bad during rush hour. Putting every single high-rise development in to one spot is only going to exasperate the situation.
As of right now, there are a handful of districts that cater to the local population. These areas have office buildings with doctor's offices, law firms, dentists...you name it. How would it benefit those that live in these districts to have to drive downtown for these services? You'd add even more daytime travel to an already clogged road system.

Having said that, the lions share of Kelowna big projects are all downtown. I mean, a 37 floor tower is currently under construction right across the street from a 16 floor building which is just down the street from a 21 floor tower going up.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Actually, you seem to not be listening when people who live in Kelowna explain why having towers spread around isn't such a bad thing. I'll explain again.

Kelowna's road infrastructure was built for a city of 50,000 people. The city was never planned to be a major centre. Short-sighted, yes, but that's the reality of Kelowna right now. Most road arteries cannot be expanded making rush hour going in and out of central Kelowna already bad during rush hour. Putting every single high-rise development in to one spot is only going to exasperate the situation.
As of right now, there are a handful of districts that cater to the local population. These areas have office buildings with doctor's offices, law firms, dentists...you name it. How would it benefit those that live in these districts to have to drive downtown for these services? You'd add even more daytime travel to an already clogged road system.

Having said that, the lions share of Kelowna big projects are all downtown. I mean, a 37 floor tower is currently under construction right across the street from a 16 floor building which is just down the street from a 21 floor tower going up.
Firstly, you mean't "exacerbate" not "exasperate" because exasperated is how I feel every time I discuss this. As i've explained before, putting office buildings together makes it quicker and easier to access shopping and professional services so your notion that spreading it all over the place is better makes no sense.

Secondly, What is preventing Kelowna from expanding it's infrastructure? Other cities do it all the time but for some reason Kelowna won't which is very strange since they rebuilt the bridge yet refuse to touch their precious, hopelessly congested roads.

There might be a couple of big projects downtown but had the city planned it's growth properly it would already have a decent skyline because as it stands now the downtown makes it look like a town of 30,000 people. Even Vernon with a third the population of Kelowna, looks bigger

Does this really look like the downtown of a city of ~200,000 people?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 8:19 PM

Great photos, Ian! I miss Kelowna.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia