HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 7:56 PM

[That's Aria under construction with the Executive House Hotel (1965) in the background and Astoria on the extreme right]

Bowling greens thrown a curve
Victoria evaluating 3 clubs as development pressures, aging membership lead to doubts about sustainability

Jack Knox
Times Colonist

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Last edited by Holden West; May 3, 2007 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 8:21 PM

Interesting article:

Quote:
But outside the fence is that other Victoria: rumbling traffic, sirens, can't-hear-yourself-think construction noise from the 12-storey Aria building going up next door. Cardboard tucked against the back wall of the clubhouse shows where the homeless sleep at night. Syringe wrappers and an empty 40-pounder of Olde English 800 malt liquor litter adjoining Cridge Park. New highrises proliferate like zucchini. Increasingly, the club looks out of place.
I agree it would be a shame to lose these lawn bowling greens. The fact that this particular club is "out of place" is what makes it special. Not sure I get the zucchini simile.

I seem to recall we were reflecting one time on the shortsightedness that led to the destruction (or bland remodelling) of so many fine historic buildings in Victoria, and somebody (maybe Holden) asked if we might still be destroying things today that we'll regret later. So how about these lawn bowling greens?

I've never played the game but I've also never been 60 years old. I suppose when we're 60 we'll just be watching TV all day?

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 8:55 PM

I know someone in their 60s--played Oldtimers hockey until he gimped up his knee. Now he does lawnbowling. It sounds good to me. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend my senior years inside some moldy seniors centre playing cards.

Quote:
an empty 40-pounder of Olde English 800 malt liquor litter adjoining Cridge Park
Mike, I told you not to litter.

The zucchini reference is an old joke referring to the amazing ability of zucchini to take over a garden and producing more crop than a family could possibly use, leading to unwanted gifts to neighbours of yet another loaf of zucchini bread.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 10:21 PM

Shouldn't the new highrises be lying down then? Or do zucchini grow straight up?

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 10:50 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden West View Post
I know someone in their 60s--played Oldtimers hockey until he gimped up his knee. Now he does lawnbowling. It sounds good to me. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend my senior years inside some moldy seniors centre playing cards.

Mike, I told you not to litter.
Not mine. I tear off the labels.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 9:08 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
So has anybody had a look at the downtown art gallery/condo tower proposal? Apparently it's a masterpiece in the making.
The proposal is currently at 20 stories including the podium....It looks nice. It's curved glass and the tower is on the east side of the site saving views for the Queen Victoria. Though the taller option that had the tower at 23 stories including the podium was significantly slimmer, as both options were the same density. I am going to be having coffee with Chris Colman soon, I am interested to here his take on the proposal as he is the liason for JamesBay. Jeff Young is in Fairfeild as well. Both Community Groups are against the project.....of course!

Also the Aria is looking sexy too!!! hahaha

Cheers everyone!

I also had the chance to see whats up with the Town and Country site too....pretty exciting!!!

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 3:30 PM
Everything will pass

^ Any renderings or photos?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:38 AM

Scape! Where have you been, man??

I was thinking maybe our near brawl in the movie theatre that time had scared you off or something.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:43 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

The renderings for the T.C. site are not public yet...however I have copies of the Crystal Court site though they are on a pdf file and I don't know how to copy them and post them on here. I never got a chance to take any photos with my camera either at the various meetings that they were on display. However I believe soe of the guys have some photos of the building and site renderings.

Also they are pouring the first floor of the Juliet this weekend!!! Some of you know that the hot tub is now gone too from the roof top!!! Thank the new owners for that one!

Here is a photo of the Chrismas hill proposal in Saanich too...total 105 units.

Last edited by The Great Scaper; May 8, 2007 at 6:31 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:45 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Aastra...how's it going buddy!!! Nah.... that old scrap at the movie theatre is all forgotten...

hmmmm probably because I was never there during the scrap...but wish I was in a way!!! hahahaa....

Doing good though how are you?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:56 AM

Wow, I really like those Christmas Hill buildings. They really need some variety in the design around there. Funny how the modern elementary school was followed by acres of Saanich-style faux farmhouse stuff. It's about time they changed things up.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:13 AM

There are some Crystal Court renderings on VibrantVictoria.ca

I went walking around there yesterday. Does the City also own the little park between the Church of our Lord and the bowling green?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:19 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I was always under the impression that the city does...though I could be wrong.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 7:27 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

An ariticle today in the B section of the T.C. page two on the Town and Country site. In the article is suggests a floor space of 300,000 square feet of residential there, though that number from what I have heard could be between 400,000 to over 500,000 square feet of residential.

Also from what I have heard, Saanich Council and Frank Leonard realize this is the future LRT right of way, and they recognize the need for high density here. I wouldn't be surprised in the future if the Wang building site and the Gateway village get redeveloped into high density residential too.

I also live in this community association too and am a member, so I will find out as the project comes down the pipes what the mood is within the association.

Last edited by The Great Scaper; May 8, 2007 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:18 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

That's awesome that the Radius was approved!!! Got a new tallest office tower and a 17 story condo tower too. Exciting. That whole block is going to be nicer than the Humbolt Valley. With Gateway Green, The Hudson, and now the Radius and even the Juliet down the road and the Corazon....North town is going to be quite the City look!!! Exciting!!!

I wish I could have made it to the public hearing!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 5:03 AM
BANNED

^ Nice to see you back posting in a real forum!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:40 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Wow....could I say so much!!! hahaha...

Seriously though...it's really cool seeing the city change. And really a large part to do with the participation of the people on here. People joining community associations ( I belong to mine), people writing articles to the news paper, people attending city meetings and speaking their hearts, people attending the downtown workshops, people meeting with councilors, and most of all the people on here educating those who aren't aware of the importance of downtown revitalization. It's so exciting. Not only do we now have highrise, high density condo developments being built downtown, but we are providing underground parking and bike parking with them, and now we are building high density office towers for these new residences to work at. It's so exciting the city is changing so much before our eyes, yet the people on here have had a huge part in it. Just looking at the new developments, such as the Crystal Court now proposed at 22 stories and a new Art Gallery, the restoration of the Hudson Bay with three towers from 15 to 24 stories and six hundred units, the Gateway Green office proposal at 15 stories, the Radius with a 13 story office tower a 17 story and 13 story condo towers, and under construction the Falls at 18 and 13 stories (condo) the Aria two 12 story condos, The Victoria Parkside at 7 and 9 stories, the Juliet condos at 14 stories, Songhees hilltop with three towers from 11 to 13 story condo towers, dock side green with multi highrise and mid rise condo and office buildings housing over two thousand new residences, The Wave just finished at 13 stories, and now in Saanich several new towers are in the proposal stage at what will be a Lrt cross roads for the CRD. It's amazing yet again bravo for everyone on here for their hard work and determination to help our Council and developers build the City that Victoria needs to be and has been waiting to be.

A very exciting time in the History of this city yet it's just the start.

Cheers all!!!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:19 PM

and don't forget the Roundhouse, with likely 4 new towers, the tallest proposed being 24 stories.

the image below is taken from their website

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 5:57 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Right...thanks Zoomer, I was meaning to include that one!

Also there are all the Colwood and Langford towers too. I don't think it will be long before Esquimalt will have to start looking at increasing it's tax base too. As they almost had to close their Rec Center. While Langford has built three new ice rinks and Colwood is building a 10,000 seat outdoor stadium, Esquimalt can hardly keep it's own rec center alive. Yet Esquimalt has some of the most expensive water front property being sold off by the Feds. I would hope that these properties would be developed into high density high property tax income for Esquimalt.

I just hope the growth in B.C. continues. Yesterday the Federal Government said that they are increasing the House of Commons, and that B.C. will be getting 7 more m.p.s. and Alberta 6 I believe. Finally the Feds recognize the growth of the West. So politically B.C. and Alberta will finally have better representation as Quebec will keep their current amount of M.P.s

I also wonder what the Olympics will do for the province as well.

Cheers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia