HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 2:32 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
What does it matter how remote ft Mac is? There is a huge number of vehicles that cross the river there everyday, including many ridiculously over sized loads. The river crossing is currently a bottleneck during rush hour that puts any traffic 'problems' in Edmonton to shame.

Not Yellowknife, but an all weather highway linking Ft Mac to NWT highway 5 at Fort Smith would do a lot to open up the NWT.
Don't get me wrong....Fort Smith is my favourite place on earth, but how exactly would linking the highway to Smith open up the North? Fort Smith isn't exactly a supply city for industry. The only thing it would do it encourage daming of the Slave so they could run power down along the highway to the oilsands.....which would be a disaster.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 1:56 AM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Don't get me wrong....Fort Smith is my favourite place on earth, but how exactly would linking the highway to Smith open up the North? Fort Smith isn't exactly a supply city for industry. The only thing it would do it encourage daming of the Slave so they could run power down along the highway to the oilsands.....which would be a disaster.
Well, I'm not too proud to say I am not familiar with the area, and have no idea what I'm talking about. I was just running under the assumption that a second highway from Alberta to NWT would be beneficial. Perhaps it would only do more to open up Northern Alberta...I'm sure an all season road would lower the cost of living in Fort Chip, and make getting food/supplies etc up there much cheaper.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 5:43 AM
Hamletropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Well, I'm not too proud to say I am not familiar with the area, and have no idea what I'm talking about. I was just running under the assumption that a second highway from Alberta to NWT would be beneficial. Perhaps it would only do more to open up Northern Alberta...I'm sure an all season road would lower the cost of living in Fort Chip, and make getting food/supplies etc up there much cheaper.
It would be nice but it would open up a lot of back country to development!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 7:56 PM

I realize that the oil sands are a significant economic engine for Canada right now, and probably one of the main factors (if one single one can be pinpointed) for Canada currently leading the g8 in economic health, but i am not proud for this development and exploitation to be happening in my country. From a global citizen perspective, any development of this manner should be significantly taxed with that income being fed directly into r&d for sustainable energy initiatives. I cannot wait for the day when we do not depend on oil. This is the 21st century for crying out loud. I want to be proud of Canada for setting the right example for the rest of the world.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 11:48 PM
BANNED

^Wow, way to talk out of both sides of your mouth! Auditioning for the Liberal Party are we?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 7:19 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikinlittle View Post
I realize that the oil sands are a significant economic engine for Canada right now, and probably one of the main factors (if one single one can be pinpointed) for Canada currently leading the g8 in economic health, but i am not proud for this development and exploitation to be happening in my country. From a global citizen perspective, any development of this manner should be significantly taxed with that income being fed directly into r&d for sustainable energy initiatives. I cannot wait for the day when we do not depend on oil. This is the 21st century for crying out loud. I want to be proud of Canada for setting the right example for the rest of the world.
They are significantly taxed as it is now. What the various levels of government choose to spend the money on is up to them.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:21 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikinlittle View Post
This is something that should be reserved for another thread. I'm not saying it should not be discussed in this forum, but that there are likely other threads you might want to direct your energy when it comes to the debate. Here, we're trying to focus on Ft. McMurray, the actual city (hamlet.)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
That bridge is ridiculously massive for such a remote city. They might as well extend the highway to Yellowknife.
You really have to spend time in Fort Mac to appreciate the infrastructure issues they have. Even when the new bridge(s) and interchanges are completed, I think there will still be a massive bottleneck of traffic coming in and out of the city.

I've lived (or spend considerable time working) in cities with well known traffic headaches like LA, NYC, Detroit, London, and Berlin and honestly have been way more frustrated living in Fort Mac for the better part of year than any major city with traffic issues.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortroad View Post
It is a huge project mainly because it is the only road to get around and through town. Each neighborhood is isolated from each other and highway 63 is the only connection.
That's what kills me, 63 IS THE ONLY CONNECTION. So, even when the near half billion is spent on this latest upgrade, when there is an accident on the bridge or in and out of Thickwood or Timberlea the entire area comes to a standstill. Fort Mac, is a good example, of what not to do in urban planning.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 4:31 PM
Hamletropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
That's what kills me, 63 IS THE ONLY CONNECTION. So, even when the near half billion is spent on this latest upgrade, when there is an accident on the bridge or in and out of Thickwood or Timberlea the entire area comes to a standstill. Fort Mac, is a good example, of what not to do in urban planning.
It is the city's problem, the province has spent hundreds of millions on inner city 63, the city has to step up and connect Thickwood to Abasand, Abasand to Beacon Hill, flyover from Beacon hill to Gregorie, and finish Draper road from Gregorie to Downtown. If this was done it would take a lot of traffic off 63 and give a greater connected community feel to the Hamletropolis.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 10:51 PM

Fort McMurray highway reminds me of the massive highway that goes through Seattle.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 9:32 PM

I was up in Fort Mac yesterday for the day, and they have the new bridge open and looks like they are dismantling the oldest one. Also, the interchange into Thickwood was also open, was awesome to see and there was a very noticeable relief on morning rush hour traffic as I passed through town.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 12:38 PM

I guess it might have been in the previous thread, but does anyone remember or have any further information on the once proposed or at least visioned commuter rail from the city to the mines? Is there still any talk regarding this? Official documents? Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 12:16 AM

I really do hope I'm wrong, but I've been told by someone in the aviation industry that the new airport terminal building is going to be for use of ONLY by Suncor and other private companies, and NOT for use by Westjet, etc. Please tell me that this is misinformation!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 10:33 PM
Hamletropolis

That is incorrect, the new terminal is to replace the existing terminal.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:07 PM

Sweet! Do you know what the timeline for completion is?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 8:16 PM
Hamletropolis

It Should be complete in the Spring of 2014..

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 1:01 PM
Urban Advocate

Speaking of the Fort Mac airport, here was an interesting article I read in the Globe & Mail yesterday about the booming corporate/company-driven flights and private strips at all the sites for a ever-increasing number of workers, and how they justify the costs associated with it. Pretty interesting.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 8:25 PM

The new stadium renderings for Macdonald Island park have been released with new road access to the "island". This will actually be a world premier athletic and recreation park. Two indoor hockey rinks, swimming pool and water park, Public Library, 18 hole golf course, training gym, squash, indoor golf simulators, curling, squash, rock climbing. This is a great example of "doing it right". Here is the news release taken from http://www.macdonaldisland.ca/expansion.html :

MacDonald Island Park would like to announce Clark Builders in partnership with Turner Construction Company has been chosen as construction management firm for the proposed outdoor expansion at the Island.

The announcement follows last week’s selection of Architecture: ATB and 360 Architecture as the design firms chosen to guide the outdoor expansion through the detailed design phase of the project. Clark Builders in partnership with Turner Construction Company was awarded the bid after a public Request for Proposal (RFP) was issued on Alberta Purchasing Connection (APC) last month.

“We were impressed with the proposal made by Clark Builders in partnership with Turner Construction,” said Tim Reid, Chief Operating Officer at MacDonald Island Park. “The outdoor expansion is a key element of a revitalized City Centre and this partnership has the experience to deliver a world-class result for our community.”

Clark Builders in partnership with Turner Construction is responsible for costing the detailed design of the outdoor expansion produced by Architecture: ATB and 360 Architecture. Clark and Turner would then oversee project construction pending public consultation and approval by the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Council.

“The driving force behind the outdoor expansion is our desire to make Fort McMurray an even better place to live,” said Nick Sanders, Chair of the MacDonald Island Park Board of Directors. “We look forward to bringing our recommendations to the public for feedback before presenting to Council in the first quarter of 2012.”

Clark Builders is based in Edmonton and is the Alberta Contractor of the Year for 2011. Listed on the Globe & Mail’s Report on Business magazine’s Best Employers in Canada 2011, Clark Builders has been lead contractor for various recreational and sporting developments including the McMahon Stadium Redevelopment for the CFL’s Calgary Stampeders.

One of the largest construction management companies in the United States, New York-based Turner Construction Company has 46 offices across the U.S. and has presence in 20 countries. Turner Construction has managed construction for the new Yankee Stadium for MLB’s New York Yankees, the Madison Square Garden redevelopment, the redevelopment at Lambeau Field for the NFL’s Green Bay Packers, and for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

“Clark Builders in partnership with Turner Construction is very excited to be selected as construction manager for the outdoor expansion at MacDonald Island Park,” said Steve Lenarduzzi, Manager, Project Development for Clark Builders. “We recognize this project for its importance to the Municipality and the enhancement to the quality of life of its residents and visitors.”

The Mi Community, Mi Future rendering of the conceptual design for the outdoor expansion can be viewed here.
http://stadium.macdonaldisland.ca/

Last edited by rmwb; Jan 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 10:40 PM

Wow, that stadium looks nice!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia