HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:20 AM

That zig-zag in the National Avenue option looks like a real hazard in every sense. Surely that in itself would rule that option out.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Pedestrian only?

That is a long gap without connectivity.

I think an overpass with a 2 lane road + bike lanes and sidewalks is not asking too much.
Only the switchback pedestrian ramps need an SRW on adjacent privately owned lands.
The road bridge would line up with the roadway.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:51 PM

Malkin seems obvious. National is stupid, and William passes closer to residential.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:17 AM

looks like hes back in vancouver from halifax

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 9:00 PM

deleted

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:20 PM

So will they shelve this project because we are weeks away from election? That would be the right thing to do or will the bulldozers show up on the eve of the big vote?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
So will they shelve this project because we are weeks away from election? That would be the right thing to do or will the bulldozers show up on the eve of the big vote?
Rushed projects at the end of office is the style of our politics. So don’t count on the cancellation.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Think of Saddam setting the Kuwait oilfields on fire, and you'll get the appropriate image. We'll be living with Vision's dumpster fire for years.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 11:01 PM

with rising demolition costs and no money available, i won't be surprised to see this to die a quiet death by a future council - much like the kingsway extension north of main st and the bridge over false creek to robson st. dreamed up by a previous council (a bit difficult now with bc place in the way)

in a few years, the next councils will discover the funds to maintain the viaducts for the rest of their natural life until the 2060s - or if they are severely damaged by The Big One if it hits before then

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 11:04 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
with rising demolition costs and no money available, i expect this to die a quiet death by a future council - much like the kingsway extension north of main st and the bridge over false creek to robson st. dreamed up by a previous council (a bit difficult now with bc place in the way)

in a few years, the next councils will discover the funds to maintain the viaducts for the rest of their natural life until the 2060s - or if they are severely damaged by The Big One if it hits before then
Your mean the Bartholomew plan which laid out the fundamental structure of the city?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Your mean the Bartholomew plan which laid out the fundamental structure of the city?
quite a plan

but for the stock market crash a year later, the depression in the following decade, and then a world war, more of the plans might have happened

Last edited by jsbertram; Sep 22, 2018 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
with rising demolition costs and no money available, i won't be surprised to see this to die a quiet death by a future council - much like the kingsway extension north of main st and the bridge over false creek to robson st. dreamed up by a previous council (a bit difficult now with bc place in the way)

Likely contracts have been signed already with the private land owners and will be very costly to undo. Plus, the city may actually make money from CACs and selling the two blocks of city land. They will just need to borrow the demolition funds.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_prof View Post
Likely contracts have been signed already with the private land owners and will be very costly to undo. Plus, the city may actually make money from CACs and selling the two blocks of city land. They will just need to borrow the demolition funds.
There are some capital cost items to vote on during the election, I wonder if this will be among them...?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
There are some capital cost items to vote on during the election, I wonder if this will be among them...?
No. The details are already on the city site. They reference $2.2B in capital projects, of which voters get to decide on $300M of borrowing. It's mostly related to community centers, pools, parks, transportation (including $40M to replace traffic lights). Stuff like that.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:55 PM

Link here.

I'm no landscaper, but surely no park short of the NEFC rebuild should cost $187 million to set up?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Link here.

I'm no landscaper, but surely no park short of the NEFC rebuild should cost $187 million to set up?
Where is the $187M you are referencing?

Interesting that $540M is going into affordable housing. That's a big download from higher levels of government.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 8:54 PM

What $187 million?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 11:13 PM

The New Assets include $187M in park improvements. Specific allocations to various amenities can be seen in the drop-down menu... which I found a few minutes after I hit "post."

I'll take the L now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 11:35 PM

"Investments in new parks and open spaces: $187 million"

Exactly. To various and multiple projects city wide.

"$44 M to construct new parks, including new East Park in Southeast False Creek and expansion of ‘Burrard Slopes’ park". Every park in that plan is less than $187 million. Not sure what your concern is in regards to the new park where the section of overpasses are now.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
"Investments in new parks and open spaces: $187 million"

Exactly. To various and multiple projects city wide.

"$44 M to construct new parks, including new East Park in Southeast False Creek and expansion of ‘Burrard Slopes’ park". Every park in that plan is less than $187 million. Not sure what your concern is in regards to the new park where the section of overpasses are now.
Not sure how I missed that the first time.

Here's a subset:

Quote:
Park land

-

$80 M to acquire land for future parks, including along the Fraser River waterfront

Park amenities

$29 M toward park renewal program

$9 M to renew children’s playgrounds, wading pools and water parks

$600 K toward universal access improvements

$400 K to maintain and renew dog parks

$2.1 M toward planning and project management

$44 M to construct new parks, including new East Park in Southeast False Creek and expansion of ‘Burrard Slopes’ park

$2.4 M to build new skateboard and bike parks

$1.6 M to build new dog parks

$17 M toward planning and project management
$80M on new land near the Fraser, that's an interesting investment in something that could be underwater in the medium term. I hope the new property taxes from the SE Fraser development pay that back.

Also the $44M on a "new east park" in SEFC... first I've heard of that. Is that near the Cambie bridge where the school and more condos will be developed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure