HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:06 AM
Rational urbanist

I've read both Whitehorse's and Yellowknife's official community plans and it doesn't seem like Yellowknife is nearly as concerned about maintaining a small town feel as Whitehorse is. Which is odd considering that Whitehorse is 7,000 people bigger and growing way faster too for some reason.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:09 AM
ARTchitecture

Well actually Whitehorse's height laws are based totally around the airport, which is on the plateau directly above the city.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:11 AM
Rational urbanist

I hadn't even thought about that. It is pretty odd that their airport is directly beside downtown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
ARTchitecture

Yeah, even more odd that it is directly above the city. I'm sure eventually it will be moved, which will be a cool area for redevelopment. The views from the top of the escarpment would be amazing. Whitehorse just finished construction on their new tallest building this year. It's a 7 storey condo called Mah's Point.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:18 AM
Rational urbanist

I remember seeing the renderings for that, good to hear it's finished.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:22 AM
ARTchitecture

Yeah same. A friend of mine just moved to Whitehorse from Vancouver actually, he loves it, even with the crazy cold winter which he has never experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Clark builders are working on one now.
Awesome. Any idea how tall?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yeah same. A friend of mine just moved to Whitehorse from Vancouver actually, he loves it, even with the crazy cold winter which he has never experienced.

Awesome. Any idea how tall?
Nope but will find out

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 2:03 AM
ARTchitecture

Thanks man! You're our only link to the north!!!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:12 PM

Iqaluit approves new Aquatic Centre

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...sign-1.2467067

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 9:10 PM
ARTchitecture

Looks good! $30 million is pretty steep but they need it, and it is a capital city, so I mean... you kind of have to spend money to become a city, you know? Plus, a lot of that construction cost is due to it being so hard to build major structures over the permafrost, I'm glad to hear they're going with piles that will stretch all the way down to bedrock.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Looks good! $30 million is pretty steep but they need it, and it is a capital city, so I mean... you kind of have to spend money to become a city, you know? Plus, a lot of that construction cost is due to it being so hard to build major structures over the permafrost, I'm glad to hear they're going with piles that will stretch all the way down to bedrock.
Rock Piles or Thermo Siphons are the way to go. Most of the cost are for shipping from Montreal and flying in most of the contractors or subs. The big GC and Mechnical in town are big enough to do them but most of their staff rotate in from the south. NF, AB & QC.

Tenders will go out in Jan, Shop Drawings review by April to have product in Montreal for the first ship in June.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 6:58 PM

Yeah Whitehorse currently has 25m as a maximum height throughout parts of downtown. I'm not sure that it has to do with airport overlays as much as it has to do with trying to maintain a 'small town' feel. Mah's Point is now the tallest building at 7 storeys, though there has been a number of 4 storey buildings constructed recently....Yukon skyscrapers. The condo 'boom' here is kinda over for the time being, though there may be a few rental buildings constructed in the next few years....

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 7:51 PM
Closed account

My favourite Whitehorse skyscraper:

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevvac View Post
Yeah Whitehorse currently has 25m as a maximum height throughout parts of downtown. I'm not sure that it has to do with airport overlays as much as it has to do with trying to maintain a 'small town' feel. Mah's Point is now the tallest building at 7 storeys, though there has been a number of 4 storey buildings constructed recently....Yukon skyscrapers. The condo 'boom' here is kinda over for the time being, though there may be a few rental buildings constructed in the next few years....
It has more to do with everyone have an unobstructed view of the mountains. At least that is what some collogues are say.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 5:17 PM

Inuvik to Tuk highway is underway. Soon, (well not that soon) you will be able to drive to the Arctic Ocean year round. I need to drive the Dempster one of these days….

http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages...ukhighway.aspx

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 8:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

cool. I have long been fascinated with the Dempster highway.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 11:12 PM

Its a tough road to drive. Bring extra tires and a repair kit. The gravel used is crushed rock which mean sharp chips and stones. I have only been an section of it. Mainly out of Inuvik south and back as well as the lower end near the Tombstones. The people i know that have done the whole drive rarely get off it without at least one flat. As for the road to Tuk I have only driven on the river to it. Once that is done maybe they will start heading east out of Inuvik or north out of Churchill.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 9:24 AM
Rational urbanist

Is it impossible to pave the road, or just not worth the costs?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 4:19 PM
ARTchitecture

Not worth the costs... as for most of the highway, there is a town only every 250+ KM...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 5:35 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Is it impossible to pave the road, or just not worth the costs?
My experience with Northern highways is limited to the road from Enterprise to Fort Smith. They add a ton of calcium to the unpaved portion East of Hay River, so it actually makes a very decent, well compacted, driving surface.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada