HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:06 PM
BANNED

BC Cruise Ship Industry

Even though this is the BC and Alberta section I figured I would focus on BC's cruise ship industry since that's where I live.

I read today that Vancouver actually gets less cruise ship visits than Victoria even though it is equipped to handle more ships and has a bigger tourist industry than Victoria (I know, shocking!) but I couldn't find conclusive proof of the numbers because the 2012 Victoria Cruise Ship schedule at Ogden Point was down for some reason. Weird huh?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:55 PM

You're talking about this article?
http://www.bcbusinessonline.ca/bcb/b...seship-dollars

Data for Ogden Point here:
http://victoriacruise.ca/page/cruise-schedule

Do a quick copy and paste to Excel and you'll get 25 vessels carrying 475,000 passengers on 229 sailings.

Vancouver data here:
http://portmetrovancouver.com/en/abo...schedules.aspx

Quote:
In 2011, Port Metro Vancouver was pleased to welcome 27 vessels through the Port's two cruise terminals, carrying more than 663,000 revenue passengers on 199 sailings.
So more ships go through Victoria but more passengers go through Vancouver.

Last edited by aastra; Apr 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 6:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
So more ships go through Victoria but more passengers go through Vancouver.
That's bizarre since Vancouver can accommodate six ships at once while Victoria can only dock three.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 6:30 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
That's bizarre since Vancouver can accommodate six ships at once while Victoria can only dock three.
Smaller ships with quicker boardings and loadings?

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 8:12 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Even though this is the BC and Alberta section I figured I would focus on BC's cruise ship industry since that's where I live.

I read today that Vancouver actually gets less cruise ship visits than Victoria even though it is equipped to handle more ships and has a bigger tourist industry than Victoria (I know, shocking!) but I couldn't find conclusive proof of the numbers because the 2012 Victoria Cruise Ship schedule at Ogden Point was down for some reason. Weird huh?
Don't forget that Vancouver is an O&D port - the ships are actually based there for the summer season and depart and return to that port.

Victoria is just a day visit/port-o-call mostly to satisfy the Jones Act* for the foreign-flagged ships that travel between two US ports such as Seattle/San Francisco and Ketchikan.

*correction: it is actually the Passenger Vessel Services Act, Jones is applicable to freight.

Last edited by craneSpotter; May 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
Don't forget that Vancouver is an O&D port - the ships are actually based there for the summer season and depart and return to that port.

Victoria is just a day visit/port-o-call mostly to satisfy the Jones Act* for the foreign-flagged ships that travel between two US ports such as Seattle/San Francisco and Ketchikan.

*correction: it is actually the Passenger Vessel Services Act, Jones is applicable to freight.
For the ships that home port in Vancouver during the summer they also take on supplies when in Vancouver. If you go for a walk at Canada Place and look down you see a small army of people loading supplies and fuel onto the ship. For the port of calls they don't load much onto the ship at all and need less infrastructure.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:19 PM

From a 2010 Greater Victoria Harbour Authority news release:

Quote:
In 2009, Ogden Point had 228 visits... bringing a total of 578,706 passengers and crew to shore.
So in Victoria's case the number of sailings hasn't changed much but the number of passengers seems to be decreasing.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:55 PM

they only visit Victoria the same way they visit anchorage etc.

the ships are based out of and depart from Vancouver - what do they call that home port? port of call is just a port where they visit?

Vancouver may get "less visitors" but the ships are based here and all the passengers have to come here to get to the ship and have to spend time here on their trip so they could be counted as visitors

people don't board the ships in Victoria - they would have boarded the ship in Seattle

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 5:57 AM
BANNED

Victoria will finally crack the 1000' barrier with the arrival of the Celebrity Solstice this summer. The ship measures 1,033 ft (314.86 m) which will be a new record for the capital city. The previous record holder was the 971' Norwegian Pearl.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:36 PM

Cool. Maybe you can get a few pics.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they only visit Victoria the same way they visit anchorage etc.

the ships are based out of and depart from Vancouver - what do they call that home port? port of call is just a port where they visit?

Vancouver may get "less visitors" but the ships are based here and all the passengers have to come here to get to the ship and have to spend time here on their trip so they could be counted as visitors

people don't board the ships in Victoria - they would have boarded the ship in Seattle
Norwegian has one ship based in Vancouver (for the first time in a few years). So they sell one way cruises between Vancouver and Alaska.

The other ships sail from Alaska stop in Victoria arriving in early afternoon, departing at night and then arriving in Seattle the next day. The Victoria stop is only a few hours. It meets the legal require that a foreign registered ship can not transport passengers from one us port to another.

They even a couple of sailing the stop in Nanaimo.

I am fan of Norwegian, and I know they do the grocery shopping in Florida, load all the groceries into cargo containers and then ship them to the home port that the ship is using that season. The only food they buy locally are veggies, fruit and dairy products.

Home port is where they normally board passengers and provisions. The port of call is where they visit on the cruise.

There are also a couple of weekends and the start and end of the cruise season when Vancouver gets a massive increase in traffic. This is because the ships that are going to home port in Seattle can not sail from a US port to another port so they have to operate a cruise to Vancouver. Then operate another 2 or 3 days cruise from Vancouver to Seattle. The repositioning cruises between Vancouver and Seattle tend to be quite cheap and make some interesting stops on Vancouver Island and Washington state.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Victoria will finally crack the 1000' barrier with the arrival of the Celebrity Solstice this summer. The ship measures 1,033 ft (314.86 m) which will be a new record for the capital city. The previous record holder was the 971' Norwegian Pearl.
We've talked about this before. "Mariner of the Seas" was in town a few times in 2009. Royal Caribbean lists it at 1,020 feet.

Quote:
The Carnival Cruise Lines ship CARNIVAL SPLENDOR (IMO 9333163) and the Royal Caribbean International ship MARINER OF THE SEAS (IMO 9227510) alongside at Ogden Point in Victoria. Due to the flu outbreak in Mexico, both companies have redirected their Mexican cruises. Normally, ships this size would never visit Victoria. Both are larger than any ship to have ever visited Victoria before. CARNIVAL SPLENDOR arrived first, breaking the old record as the largest ship to visit Victoria. She held this honour for about 30 minutes, before MARINER OF THE SEAS arrived and took the record. CARNIVAL SPLENDOR will visit 8 times, and MARINER OF THE SEAS will visit 13 times.

Ogden Point, Victoria
May 6, 2009

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:21 AM
BANNED

Weird.

I must have been living in Onterrible at the time because i've never known a thousand footer to come to Victoria. Regardless, Celebrity Solstice sets a new record.

I plan to get pics of it tele.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 9:33 AM
BANNED

Ask and ye shall receive, here are the first shots of the biggest cruise ship to ever visit Victoria, the $750,000,000, 1033 ft long, 122,000 ton Celebrity Solstice which carries 4350 passengers and crew. The weird thing is, it didn't seem any bigger than most of the other ships that dock here but it's at least 68 feet longer and weighs 6000 tons more than any other cruise ship to visit Victoria.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 2:51 PM

Woah! She's a beast.

Thanks Phil! That's quite the ship.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele75 View Post
Woah! She's a beast.

Thanks Phil! That's quite the ship.
You're welcome.

It doesn't look all that big until you see it from this angle:

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 9:47 PM

Exactly what I thought.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 8:21 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Doesn't seem like a lot of lifeboats..

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 4:14 AM
is watching.

back from the dead...haha

a info-graphic for Vancouver's 2014 cruise season:

source - http://www.bcbusiness.ca/tourism-cul...etro-vancouver

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 4:59 PM
is watching.

Victoria will receive its 10th cruise ship today. Yesterday was quite busy with 4 stops, including the Golden Princess (2600+ pax). A few have been repositioning cruises (to Seattle or Vancouver) from San Diego and Honolulu.

Looks like we have one more repositioning cruise, from Hilo, HI on May 15th - good thing the forecast calls for 24 that day - so we don't shock the passengers ha!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia