HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
Decent year this year... going to be busier next year

Record cruise ship visits at Ogden Point forecast for 2015
T-C October 6, 2014
http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...2015-1.1416625
Great news. YVR is on the move this year, and it is great to see the cruise ship industry is following the trend.
Just a shame about the sulfur emissions, (mentioned in the video) and the possible health risk. What a downer.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Great news. YVR is on the move this year, and it is great to see the cruise ship industry is following the trend.
Just a shame about the sulfur emissions, (mentioned in the video) and the possible health risk. What a downer.
I know Vancouver has shore power (basically a big extension cord that connect the ship to the power grid when in port. Not certain if Victoria has a similar capability or not.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en...horepower.aspx

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 2:56 AM

Does anyone have any idea where i can find the past cruise ship schedules for the port of Vancouver and for Seattle? It would be nice to compare the numbers.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:19 AM
BANNED

It looks like you'll have to contact them to get the old schedules:

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/contact-us/

courtney.r@portseattle.org

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 6:33 PM
is watching.

Away we go.

Cruise-ship season starts Sunday

Times-Colonist April 1, 2016
http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...nday-1.2221750

Quote:
The Star Princess will launch this year’s Alaskan cruise ship season Sunday morning when the 17-deck ship ties up at Ogden Point for an all-day visit.

Similar to last year, 227 ship visits are scheduled. Vessels are expected to carry about 533,000 passengers to the city, said Ian Robertson, CEO of the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority. Ships will stay a little longer in port and more will arrive during the daytime rather than later in the evenings.

New this year will be Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas, the largest cruise ship to stop here, Robertson said. At 1,025 feet long, it holds 3,114 passengers. Its first of 21 calls is May 17.

“That’s really good news for Victoria,” said Robertson, noting the bigger the ship, the more passengers and crew it carries. Visitors spend money at retail shops and attractions and vessels take on supplies and rely on local marine-related services.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Away we go.

Cruise-ship season starts Sunday

Times-Colonist April 1, 2016
http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...nday-1.2221750
IT would be nice to a new Ogdon point in a few years.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:39 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
With the new floatplane terminal finally in place and upgrades to the Belleville street ferry terminal used Blackball and the Clipper finally underway (phase 1 of 3 I think).... 3-5 years before they start anything at Ogden point is about right If they intend to become a home port by 2020, they better get on it!

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
What's wrong with the way it is now?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:08 AM
is watching.

Cruise ship season delivered 550,000 passengers

Times Colonist
NOVEMBER 3, 2016

http://www.timescolonist.com/busines....3W9gnNDw.dpuf

Quote:
The GVHA expects the number of ships to increase in 2017 to more than 240, which Robertson said is a reflection of the growing popularity of Victoria as a destination, and of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska routes for cruise passengers.
550,000 passengers and 212,000 crew on 224 ships - very good year! Have not head anything about upgrades to Ogden point, thus far.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 12:16 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
The City of Victoria and the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority are pitching B.C.'s capital city as a home port for smaller cruise ships.

While cruise ships already make regular stops in Victoria, if the city were to become a home port, it would become the port where those cruises begin and end.

Mayor Lisa Helps says that could bring along with it spending from passengers on hotels, restaurants and more, and bring the local economic benefit of cruises from $40,000 per ship to up to $2 million per ship.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ship-1.4037094

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 6:31 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Mayor Lisa Helps says that could bring along with it spending from passengers on hotels, restaurants and more, and bring the local economic benefit of cruises from $40,000 per ship to up to $2 million per ship
The 40k economic benefit per ship figure is completely wrong! Hopefully that was just an error by the CBC, not a direct quote by Helps...

According to this 'Cruise Impact Study' - from March 2014 - the direct expenditures by passengers, crew and cruise lines visiting Victoria during the 2012 cruise season was $49 million. There were 229 ship visits scheduled for 2012.

So, the direct spending (impact) was $214,000 per ship.

http://www.gvha.ca/sites/default/fil...acts_final.pdf

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 6:55 PM
is watching.

Here is the updated master plan for Victoria's Ogden Point cruise ship terminal:

http://www.gvha.ca/ogden-point-termi...nt-master-plan

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 7:55 PM

What is the timeline for the new terminal?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:59 PM
BANNED

^It said on that page; "An implementation plan will also be included to provide guidance of when and how development will likely occur over the next 30+ years." And people say government is inefficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
That CBC article from back in March mentioned,"The City of Victoria and the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority are pitching B.C.'s capital city as a home port for smaller cruise ships", which is ironic because years ago pocket cruise ships weren't uncommon at Ship Point but now they seem to be few and far between. That article also included the best picture i've ever seen of Ogden Point:

I would love to know how they got the shot because I thought flying drones anywhere near Ogden Point was a no no.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Oct 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:52 AM
is watching.

Another great cruise season for Victoria in 2017

Victoria sees record number of cruise ship calls in 2017

CTV - Nov 16, 2017 - https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/v...2017-1.3681372

Quote:
Victoria welcomed a record number of cruise ship calls to the city in 2017, the same year the port saw its seven-millionth passenger arrive.
The city welcomed 239 cruise ship calls and 600,000 passengers this year, up from 224 calls and 536,000 passengers in 2016.
The cruise ship season, which stretches from April through October, also saw more than 239,000 crew members visit the city as ewll.
Cool little side story: Every million passengers, the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority celebrates by awarding one lucky passenger some goodies, and this year the honour went to Reshme Balramsingh from Trinidad and Tobago. June 22, 2017.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:12 AM
is watching.

Something new to expect this year! Victoria will be getting one of the (10) largest cruise ships in the world making stops in 2018 - the Norwegian Bliss

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...iss/985580001/

NORWEGIAN BLISS

Line: Norwegian Cruise Line

Maiden voyage: April 23, 2018

Home ports: Seattle, Miami

Size (in tons): 167,800

Passengers: 4,000

The buzz: Fast-growing Norwegian Cruise Line is creating yet another major mega-resort at sea — its fifth in six years. A sister to the recently unveiled Norwegian Joy and Norwegian Escape, Bliss will rank among the 10 largest ships in the world and feature such over-the-top amusements as a two-deck-high racing course where passengers compete against each other in electric go-carts — a first for a vessel based in North America.

Itineraries: Bliss will spend summers sailing to Alaska out of Seattle, with seven-night trips to Ketchikan; Juneau; Skagway; and Victoria, B.C. starting at $1,049 per person. The ship will spend winters sailings the Eastern Caribbean out of Miami, with seven-night sailings starting at $749.

Pics: Norwegian Cruise Lines Renders

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:19 PM
HVAC guru

^ that’s insane. Down in PV a few years ago we got to see one up close. The scale is impressive.

I never saw the appeal of cruises but I know a number of people whove gone on one, my assistant did an Alaskan cruise last year and loved it. Our retired next door neighbours like to do those European river cruises you see advertized on tv, they really enjoy them

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:43 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ that’s insane. Down in PV a few years ago we got to see one up close. The scale is impressive.

I never saw the appeal of cruises but I know a number of people whove gone on one, my assistant did an Alaskan cruise last year and loved it. Our retired next door neighbours like to do those European river cruises you see advertized on tv, they really enjoy them
I don't really see the appeal of cruises either - although have never gone. We have friends & family that go regularly (Caribbean/Alaska). They have been trying to convince us to join them at least once for the experience. They liken them to a big AI resort at sea - but you get to stop at several different places during your stay. The last cruise our friends went on was on the largest ship in the world - The Oasis of the Seas - the pictures they had almost made us book!

Our neighbours actually bought a 'barge' cruiser in France - that's where they spend their summers. I have heard the European river cruises are nice. Again - not for me I think.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Something new to expect this year! Victoria will be getting one of the (10) largest cruise ships in the world making stops in 2018 - the Norwegian Bliss
There is an itinerary later this year for the Norwegian Bliss to embark from Vancouver, then to Victoria, then down to LA. Just wondering how they are going to get that ship under Lion's Gate Bridge since smaller ships like Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas cannot pass under the bridge.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruises/5-...S5VANVICSFOLAX

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 12:58 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post

I had the same opinion as you of cruises until I went on one and I can now say it was the most relaxing holiday I've ever had. Somehow it was even better than all inclusive resorts my wife and I have been to, I think the difference is that on a cruise ship you will realize that the outside world really doesn't matter for the short time you are on that boat.

I would say my most difficult decision of the day was what kind of ice cream I was going to have in the afternoon. The food was wonderful and plentiful if one so wished to indulge - about the only indulgence my wife and I had during our cruise was a bottle of bubbly every night enjoyed on our suite's balcony.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia