HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Campbell River

I don't hold out much hope that this thread will be a big hit since Campbell River has nothing even close to a high-rise, and with a population of almost 40,000 people that's kind of sad, but here it is anyway:

A view of the "city":

Apparently the city has a large scale spider problem:

The city's only real office building but on a bright note, it's fairly new:

Another positive sign, a new Comfort Inn downtown:

This widescraper downtown is also pretty new:

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jul 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 5:11 PM

I remember when CR was half that size only 15 years ago. It's grown like a bad weed, and not always in a good way. Same can be said for the Comox Valley. When I moved there Courtenay was 20 000 and Comox was 10 000. I don't even know what it would be now, but I'd guess the whole valley is sitting in the 60 000 range. Both areas seriously need to consider growing up rather than out. Plenty of areas in Downtown Courtenay ripe for gentrification.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 11:05 PM

I grew up in the CR area. With the hunt for an ocean view, the city has always stretched along the water to capture the ocean and mountain views. Downtown has always had lots of space, so there wasn't any need to build up, plus there was a long-standing limit of 4 stories on buildings (with a couple exceptions). If more retirees move there I'd expect to see more mid-rise condos along the water, but they'd be built south of downtown along the bluff to preserve views of houses behind it. So from the Old Island Highway you'd see just a 2 story building, but it would stretch down to the shore and be about 10 stories.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:55 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I grew up in the CR area. With the hunt for an ocean view, the city has always stretched along the water to capture the ocean and mountain views. Downtown has always had lots of space, so there wasn't any need to build up, plus there was a long-standing limit of 4 stories on buildings (with a couple exceptions). If more retirees move there I'd expect to see more mid-rise condos along the water, but they'd be built south of downtown along the bluff to preserve views of houses behind it. So from the Old Island Highway you'd see just a 2 story building, but it would stretch down to the shore and be about 10 stories.
It is the same for most island cities which is not a good thing. The sprawl is pretty bad for most cities. The island does not have cities that are large enough to really expand upward. Victoria and Nanaimo are the only places large enough to create some density.

Retirees prefer to live close to decent regional hospitals.

That said I love the area especially Strathcona park.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 12:09 AM

Big projects there recently include the John Hart Generating Station project and the portion of the North Island Hospitals project in Campbell River (2/3 in Courtnay at top of Ryan Rd hill)

https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc...enerating.html

http://nihp.viha.ca/campbell-river/b...etails-design/

The old mill site could make an interesting shipyard site with the large Navy announcements and current projects. Point Hope Shipyard is expanding in Victoria for example. Who knows if LNG will ever happen there.

BC Hydro is projected to also be working on the Strathcona Dam in the next decade as well; http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/370687521.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 12:46 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
More apartments coming to Dogwood Street in Campbell River

Quote:
The five-storey building, the staff report recommending the development be approved says, “is consistent with the intent of the SOCP (Sustainable Official Community Plan) and addresses the development permit guidelines.”

The building site is already zoned RM-4 and, as such, can accommodate 50 per cent coverage at a maximum density of 95 units per hectare. The proposed building will only cover 18 per cent of the .724-acre site, so the 68 being proposed fulfill the maximum density requirement.

As the property has been designated as “Village Centre” in the SOCP, which, the report states, “supports the development of multi-family within walking distance of commercial uses.
https://www.campbellrivermirror.com/...ampbell-river/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia