HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 8:41 PM

Rename British Columbia

There is an article about renaming British Columbia because of it's colonial origins. As well as redoing the flag.

http://vancouversun.com/news/staff-b...ul-yuxweluptun

It's worth noting that what languages most of Canada's provinces names originate from. 6 are of native origin and 7 are of European.
British Columbia - English/Italian
Alberta - English
Saskatchewan - Cree
Manitoba - Cree
Ontario - Huron
Quebec - Algonquin
New Brunswick - English/German
Nova Scotia - Latin
Prince Edward Island - English
Newfoundland - English
Labrador - Portuguese
The Yukon - Heavily butchered Gwich'in
North West Territories - English
Nunavut - Inuktitut
Canada -Algonquin

And Canada's 10 largest metros, 4 are of native origin.

Toronto - Iroquois
Montreal - French
Vancouver - Dutch
Calgary - Scottish
Edmonton - English
Ottawa - Algonquin
Quebec City - Algonquin
Winnipeg - Cree
Hamilton - English
Kitchener - English

I don't think that renaming BC is the best idea, because it would cost a lot of money and the name is already pretty established. This would make more sense to rename the NWT because the name is super generic, there is a large native population there, and the name NWT isn't that well known.

I don't think the flag should be redone because I really love it (I know many people on this site wouldn't agree with me). It has nice colours and does a good job on representing that that's where the sun sets in Canada, in the ocean, in the west.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 8:55 PM

Last edited by ue; Feb 14, 2021 at 9:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 10:38 PM

the georgia straight was renamed the salish sea. But most still think of it as the straight.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 12:20 AM

No, and No.

While re-naming a specific town / physical feature can make sense in the most offensive of situations, it has now become a Politically Correct Fad that is just as insulting / indifferent to history as it is trying to be apologetic.

Example, the Salish Sea made sense. 2 reasons, It was largely the Salish people who lived in the area AND the current post colonial names are still official too. This is because the name, "Salish Sea" did not replace "Georgia Straight," but instead refers to the greater combined area of the "Georgia Straight," "Juan de Fuca Straight," "Howe Sound," etc... It actually annoys me how many people get this wrong.

Re-naming the entire province of BC would do nothing but split people apart and create animosity within the province.'

Also, my biggest point is that before post colonialism the province of BC did not exist! There was no single native group / culture that inhabited the exact (or even rough) borders of the province. It is a geographic entity that was created afterwards and encompasses the new modern day reality of the land, politically and socially.

Many towns and regions within BC do have native names honoring the native ancestry of the province (Kelowna, Kamloops, Cariboo, Chilliwack, Comox, Coquitlam, Kitimat, Lytton, Lillooet, Malahat, Nanaimo, Okanagan, Penticton, Saanich, Sechelt, Squamish, Sumas, Tsawwassen, and Yoho just to name a few of the top of my head! So honestly, there is no lack of cities, towns, regions, parks, etc... that have native names in BC.

Like it or not, but North America was a ticking time bomb of eventual colonization, either from Europe or Asia, it was inevitable that one of these massive regions with exploding populations and far superior / industrializing technologies was going to "discover" the Americas and colonize them. Many people treat it as the only time such a thing had happened, but truth is this was an ongoing cycle of empirical conquest that had been going on for millennia before in both the old world and the new world.

Today, BC is far more than just native land / ancestry, and I think it is important that it retains its wide variety of name cultures (Native, English, Spanish, Italian, French, etc...) to also honor / remember how it became the entity it is today. If anything a few select places should be appropriately renamed with East Asian / South Asian names.

The name British Columbia also reflects how, unlike the rest of western Canada, our province (similar to the Maritimes) had its own pattern of settlement from the coast into the interior.

And what is there not to love about the BC flag? It represents the sea, the mountains, and the setting sun. Wonderful. Maybe they want to add some native art elements to it, but while if done appropriately it could look nice, it also runs the risk of coming off "desperate" and cheesy.

This really feels like an "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" moment. But I guess life has become so stable and good in our evil post-colonial hell hole that we can now debate such trivial matters.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
No, and No.

While re-naming a specific town / physical feature can make sense in the most offensive of situations, it has now become a Politically Correct Fad that is just as insulting / indifferent to history as it is trying to be apologetic.

Example, the Salish Sea made sense. 2 reasons, It was largely the Salish people who lived in the area AND the current post colonial names are still official too. This is because the name, "Salish Sea" did not replace "Georgia Straight," but instead refers to the greater combined area of the "Georgia Straight," "Juan de Fuca Straight," "Howe Sound," etc... It actually annoys me how many people get this wrong.

Re-naming the entire province of BC would do nothing but split people apart and create animosity within the province.'

Also, my biggest point is that before post colonialism the province of BC did not exist! There was no single native group / culture that inhabited the exact (or even rough) borders of the province. It is a geographic entity that was created afterwards and encompasses the new modern day reality of the land, politically and socially.

Many towns and regions within BC do have native names honoring the native ancestry of the province (Kelowna, Kamloops, Cariboo, Chilliwack, Comox, Coquitlam, Kitimat, Lytton, Lillooet, Malahat, Nanaimo, Okanagan, Penticton, Saanich, Sechelt, Squamish, Sumas, Tsawwassen, and Yoho just to name a few of the top of my head! So honestly, there is no lack of cities, towns, regions, parks, etc... that have native names in BC.

Like it or not, but North America was a ticking time bomb of eventual colonization, either from Europe or Asia, it was inevitable that one of these massive regions with exploding populations and far superior / industrializing technologies was going to "discover" the Americas and colonize them. Many people treat it as the only time such a thing had happened, but truth is this was an ongoing cycle of empirical conquest that had been going on for millennia before in both the old world and the new world.

Today, BC is far more than just native land / ancestry, and I think it is important that it retains its wide variety of name cultures (Native, English, Spanish, Italian, French, etc...) to also honor / remember how it became the entity it is today. If anything a few select places should be appropriately renamed with East Asian / South Asian names.

The name British Columbia also reflects how, unlike the rest of western Canada, our province (similar to the Maritimes) had its own pattern of settlement from the coast into the interior.

And what is there not to love about the BC flag? It represents the sea, the mountains, and the setting sun. Wonderful. Maybe they want to add some native art elements to it, but while if done appropriately it could look nice, it also runs the risk of coming off "desperate" and cheesy.

This really feels like an "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" moment. But I guess life has become so stable and good in our evil post-colonial hell hole that we can now debate such trivial matters.
Nice post buddy. Lots of good info in there.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 2:09 AM

There was a proposal in the 90's to rename the TWN. Bob was quite popular and was in second place. I Would haved like to see that happen.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 3:37 AM

Well said Metro One, Leave all as is !

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 6:25 PM
HVAC guru

Yup, leave it alone.. I love my home province and would not like to see it re-named

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 7:33 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the dumb/generic things get real names, like North West Territories and Vancouver Island.

The Salish Sea is annoying because it's not a Sea in the traditional sense. I know the word has far too many connotations, but when I think of it, I picture something salty and basically inland, like the Black Sea, Red Sea, Salton Sea. Even the Mediterranean is almost completely surrounded by land.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 4:09 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
There was a proposal in the 90's to rename the TWN. Bob was quite popular and was in second place. I Would haved like to see that happen.
What's the TWN? I grew up in BC and didn't move until '98 and have no idea what that is.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 2:02 AM
life in the present

I'd love North and West Vancouver to be re-named. It would give more presence to Vancouver and give unique identities to North and West Van, this whole Vancouver duplication is a bit silly, was even worse when South Vancouver was a separate municipality.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 9:54 PM

Renaming BC? What a waste of time. Let's move on.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the dumb/generic things get real names, like North West Territories and Vancouver Island.

The Salish Sea is annoying because it's not a Sea in the traditional sense. I know the word has far too many connotations, but when I think of it, I picture something salty and basically inland, like the Black Sea, Red Sea, Salton Sea. Even the Mediterranean is almost completely surrounded by land.
Actually it is a Sea in the traditional sense. Unless you want to dispute the existence of the south China Sea, the Sea of Japan or the North Sea.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:35 AM
BANNED

Cascadia

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
What's the TWN? I grew up in BC and didn't move until '98 and have no idea what that is.
The Weather Network, how funny would that have been if they renamed it Bob!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:26 PM

i thought this was a joke

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:41 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
I'd love North and West Vancouver to be re-named. It would give more presence to Vancouver and give unique identities to North and West Van, this whole Vancouver duplication is a bit silly, was even worse when South Vancouver was a separate municipality.
To make it even more confusing, there are two North Vancouvers. Or at least there were when I lived there.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Cascadia
I'd prefer if it had to be called something along those lines "The Cascades"

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:07 AM

Screw that.

First Nations history is no more valid than European Colonial history, just because they happened to immigrate to North America first. This kind of nonsense will lead to a Trumplike backlash if certain groups keep pushing it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Screw that.

First Nations history is no more valid than European Colonial history, just because they happened to immigrate to North America first. This kind of nonsense will lead to a Trumplike backlash if certain groups keep pushing it.
Exactly, it only divides and polarizes people. Terrible ideas.

Also Cascadia would be a terrible name for BC, since the Cascades are only a tiny portion of the province, extending into BC by about 100 KM or so. The Cascades run up along the eastern side of the Fraser Valley and up the Fraser Canyon north to Lytton and generally stop on the south shore of the Thompson River. They only extend east to Keremeos along the BC border and thin out to nearly a needle point at their northernmost extent near Lytton.

Calling a unified Oregon, Washington, and BC Cascadia makes sense since the Cascades are the mountain chain backbone of Oregon and Washington. BC is so huge that they are only one of many mountain chains that make up the province.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia