HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:47 PM

New Nanaimo hotel

stumbled across this...

New Front Street hotel

A new six-storey hotel is planned for 15 Front Street with a total of 90 rooms with ground floor commercial space.

The City is recommending that the new hotel get a 10 year tax break.

This is part of the Revitalization Tax Exemption agreement to encourage development in the City. A tax break would give the owner a savings of $202,600 per year.

If the City approves this then the owners have to build the hotel by 2020.

now

http://midislandnews.com/

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 1:51 AM

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 5:24 AM

The first hotel i can easily see going ahead, the second post looks fantastic, but Nanaimo suffers a similar syndrome as Kelowna, will believe it when I see it.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:26 PM
Moran supreme

A ten year tax break?

Is this something that's quite common everywhere or is this something that's rarely done? I'm just asking because I really do not know and I doubt that two million dollars over ten years is going to seriously harm the city of Nanaimo but how fair is this to possible other new businesses that might be looking to set up shop there? If this tax break is indeed something that's unique, then it's a bit of a slippery slope that they're creating IMO..

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
A ten year tax break?

Is this something that's quite common everywhere or is this something that's rarely done? I'm just asking because I really do not know and I doubt that two million dollars over ten years is going to seriously harm the city of Nanaimo but how fair is this to possible other new businesses that might be looking to set up shop there? If this tax break is indeed something that's unique, then it's a bit of amany years.for slippery slope that they're creating IMO..
This has been a standard practice in Winnipeg for many years

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:46 PM

Nanaimo has a lot of building going on but really almost none of it is downtown, its all in the northern more suburban area. They want to encourage more development downtown which is really nice but has a lot of empty spots that really would be great to see filled.

So a tax break is a good incentive for them to build downtown instead of so far from downtown.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 8:35 PM

Agreed! Anything to bring back property investments downtown would greatly benefit the city centre and even the region. Helps in retaining the tourist dollars when more visitors find more reasons to hang out in town.

Even better if they can incorporate an urban market and retail shops/cafes/restaurants into the podium of that hotel.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The first hotel i can easily see going ahead, the second post looks fantastic, but Nanaimo suffers a similar syndrome as Kelowna, will believe it when I see it.
Exactly

The lot the second hotel is on is another dead project that never got beyond excavation so it's even worse than the lot the first hotel is on.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 5:26 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
[QUOTE]City announces buyer for 100 Gordon Street
Developer to build 118-room hotel near Vancouver Island Conference Centre
Quote:

A $23-million hotel could be built next to the conference centre.

Nanaimo Mayor Bill McKay announced tonight at a council meeting an in-camera decision to give approval in principle to sell 100 Gordon Street to PEG Development for $750,000.

The company proposes to build a 118-room, six-storey Courtyard by Marriott hotel on the site behind the Vancouver Island Conference Centre and anticipates to have it built by 2019, according to a city press release, which says a hotel in the downtown core will assist with the performance of the VICC and help expand the city’s tourism base.

McKay said it’s great news and a long time coming.

Cameron Gunter, chief executive officer of PEG Development, said in the press release the company is excited for the chance to develop a new hotel in downtown Nanaimo.

“Our experence working in British Columbia has been excellent and we look forward to partnering with the city to design and build a hotel that will not only look beautiful, but will create new jobs, help the VICC reach its full potential and contribute to the overall economic growth in the area,” he said.

The city issued a bid opportunity for sale offers on Gordon Street in December last year and received six responses. The sale is subject to a 120-day due diligence period for PEG to complete its development permit and perform other environmental and geotechnical studies on the site.

http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/...gordon-street/

Another article

http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/54...hing-23m-hotel

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:12 AM
BANNED

While 6 stories is obviously better than no stories, it's nothing compared to the previous proposal

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:32 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
A ten year tax break?

Is this something that's quite common everywhere or is this something that's rarely done? I'm just asking because I really do not know and I doubt that two million dollars over ten years is going to seriously harm the city of Nanaimo but how fair is this to possible other new businesses that might be looking to set up shop there? If this tax break is indeed something that's unique, then it's a bit of a slippery slope that they're creating IMO..
Kamloops also has a 10-year revitalization tax exemption for the City Centre, so probably pretty common.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Kamloops also has a 10-year revitalization tax exemption for the City Centre, so probably pretty common.
Saskatoon has something similar, but only for residential. Good deal if you buy a new condo.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 2:46 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Designs revealed for downtown conference centre hotel
Quote:
Nanaimo can now picture what a conference centre hotel will look like.

A development permit application for the Courtyard by Marriott hotel, including artists’ renderings, has been submitted to the City of Nanaimo by PEG Development.

The hotel will rise nine storeys with 155 rooms, up from the original plan of six storeys and 118 rooms. It includes a bistro with patio and indoor pool.

“The design and overall layout looks amazing,” said Coun. Jerry Hong, a member of the city’s design avisory panel. “We’re really happy with it, so I’m excited to see it go through.”

He said even with the additional storeys, the hotel is well within height allowances.

A city staff report on the design plan notes that the building design meets guidelines.

“The street wall is very transparent, which makes the streetscape visually interesting and appears to meet the minimum 75 per cent ground floor frontage to be windows and/or entrance ways,” the report notes.

Hong said the bistro patio opening onto the sidewalk makes the site inviting, “so that corner won’t be an abyss.”

RELATED: City announces buyer for 100 Gordon Street
The developer hadn’t submitted a landscape plan with the development permit, but Hong said considering the size of the site, there isn’t a lot that would have to be done.

“I don’t think that’s going to be a problem,” he said. “I think they’re going to be able to knock it out of the park with their [landscape] design plans.”

The councillor said he’s pleased to see the hotel project advancing.

“That’s exactly what I love, is there’s no delays…” he said, comparing the project to previous conference centre hotel plans. “The other ones, there was six to eight months of lull and not communicating and not having any idea of what’s happening.”

The city agreed to sell 100 Gordon Street to PEG Development for $750,000 this past spring. Groundbreaking could begin this coming spring, with completion by 2019.
http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/...-centre-hotel/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 12:45 AM
BANNED

"He said even with the additional storeys, the hotel is well within height allowances."

How gracious of the city to allow the construction of tall buildings. Comments like this always piss me off because they show just to what extent we have allowed government to micromanage every detail of our lives and communities when the only determinant should be the market. Having said that, it would be great to see a new 9 story hotel go up downtown even though i'm not crazy about the looks or design of it but the height and benefits it would bring are welcome.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 4:05 AM

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 12:59 PM
BANNED

"We don't need another hotel in Nanaimo," said Nanaimo resident Jane Saxton. "We do not need a nine-storey hotel."

It's dimwits like this that always impede progress, instead of realizing things like this will make Nanaimo more appealing, bring in tourists, create jobs and stimulate the economy, their kneejerk, childish response is just, NO!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
"We don't need another hotel in Nanaimo," said Nanaimo resident Jane Saxton. "We do not need a nine-storey hotel."

It's dimwits like this that always impede progress, instead of realizing things like this will make Nanaimo more appealing, bring in tourists, create jobs and stimulate the economy, their kneejerk, childish response is just, NO!
She’s a textbook NIMBY and probably says no to everything. 😬

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:18 PM

Conversely,

"We don't need another NIMBY in Nanaimo," said everyone. "We do not need a Jane Saxton."

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Conversely,

"We don't need another NIMBY in Nanaimo," said everyone. "We do not need a Jane Saxton."

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Conversely,

No city needs people like that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia