HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 4:34 AM
BANNED

2022 Commonwealth Games in Victoria

Victoria's got another shot at hosting the games after a successful 1994 campaign. My boss, David Black, who owns a bunch of newspapers is going to be chairing the bid, which he also did in 1994. Durban, South Africa and Edmonton originally bid for the games but Edmonton dropped out to instead bid for the 2026 Games and unfortunately for Durban, they were stripped of their rights to host which would have been a first for the continent of Africa. Now it's down to Liverpool, Birmingham and Victoria, in other words, two English cities and one that pretends to be English. For the first time in my life i'm cheering for the phony.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:53 PM

Would be good for Victoria, but does anyone care about Commonwealth games anymore?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 11:39 PM

In Victoria? No. Trying to throw the same party twice is never a good idea.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
In Victoria? No. Trying to throw the same party twice is never a good idea.
I think it is a great move. Who cares about the actual games. They will come and go but what will live on is the infrastructure that is created.

This would a good reason to invest in:
- a stadium for Langford (well because Langford's mayor wants a bigger stadium that Victoria)
- some public transit project. Perhaps buy a few extra cars of what ever LRT goes into Surry.
- A big public swimming pool somewhere. Perhaps refurbish the one in Victoria.
- An expansion on PISE or CARSA.

The private sector might look at some more hotel rooms. There is good marketing for the tourism industry out of it. Overall it is a positive.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think it is a great move. Who cares about the actual games. They will come and go but what will live on is the infrastructure that is created.

- a stadium for Langford (well because Langford's mayor wants a bigger stadium that Victoria)
- some public transit project. Perhaps buy a few extra cars of what ever LRT goes into Surry.

The private sector might look at some more hotel rooms. There is good marketing for the tourism industry out of it. Overall it is a positive.

I agree. I am really hoping that Victoria gets the bid. I hope the NDP will come on board with the games.

If Langford gets a new 40,000 seat stadium we could lure a CFL team here. And a larger arena could attract an AHL team a farm team for Vancouver maybe.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 7:17 PM

Would be awesome to have another CFL team in BC.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 7:09 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

The Commonwealth games are a major international sporting event with ~71 nations competing and a TV audience of a billion. Great exposure for our region.

I can't think of an area in Langford where they could fit a new 40k seat stadium ... without blasting a mountain flat. Maybe in Colwood at VMP & Sooke Road - of course nobody would want one there. I think Centennial stadium at UVic would do just fine - again with some upgrades (as they did in '94). We don't need a permanent 40k seat stadium of course - but expanding it to 10,000 permanent seats might be a good idea for a future professional soccer team (proposed CPL or NASL)

The Commonwealth Pool in Saanich (built for the '94 games) would do..but this is a great opportunity for the Westshore to get a major aquatic centre. This is the region where all the young families are moving to (more affordable housing) as well as the fastest growing area of the CRD.

Agreed - great opportunity to build LRT from the Westshore to Victoria.Highway 1 - Victoria Approaches - is designed for tracks to run down the middle, the bridges are built with additional bearing pads @ Thetis & Colwood interchanges to add HOV lanes or rail lines in each direction (not sure if they had LRT in mind when designing the McKenzie Interchange - but there is additional width under the span based on plans I've seen and some very wide bus lanes, I think @ 5m). A Victoria friendly provincial Government will help here They want people to reduce their use of (gasoline) cars!

PISE is partially funded by the 1994 games legacy fund - they are a great asset to the region and I would like them to expand!

As far as cycling facilities - I think the Velodrome in Colwood would do with some major upgrades - again finding suitable land to build new venues would be the issue.

We have excellent Rugby and Rowing facilities with the National teams being based here - but again a chance to boost the existing facilities even more.

For events like gymnastics/wrestling/boxing etc SOFMC would do just fine - can it be expanded a bit?? CARSA could also be used, of course - nice facility.

Regardless, I hope we at least bid.

Last edited by craneSpotter; Aug 24, 2017 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:50 AM

Well that was a short term excitement. Thanks to the NDP Victoria has dropped it's bid. It would have been such a win for Victoria.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:55 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdevelopments View Post
Well that was a short term excitement. Thanks to the NDP Victoria has dropped it's bid. It would have been such a win for Victoria.
Lol. Oh well. Easy come easy go.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 3:38 AM

I wonder if Langford could still build a stadium or a larger arena.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:47 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdevelopments View Post
I wonder if Langford could still build a stadium or a larger arena.
As far as a stadium goes, they have expanded Westhills Stadium to 3,000 permanent seats according to this - http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...acity-1.543630
It looks to me like they could further expand it to ~5-6k.

Q Centre Arena (capacity 2,780) is in Colwood, I can't see Langford building anything as large in the near term. They do need additional ice space - so another arena would be great, but more along the lines of the current Westhills arena - BUT WITH HEATERS for the stands!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia