HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 7:51 AM

Arrow Bombardier's new C-Series plane to sell like hotcakes

Analysts predict Bombardier's new CSeries jet to sell like hotcakes

3 hours ago
The Canadian Press

MONTREAL — Canada's lone aircraft maker has pinned its future on being able to buck a worldwide slump in airplane sales with a new environmentally friendly jet to be assembled in Montreal.

Bombardier Inc. (TSX:BBD.B) announced Sunday that it is finally going ahead with the CSeries passenger jet, hoping its fuel-efficient engine will lure airlines coping with volatile fuel prices.

Company president and chief executive Pierre Beaudoin promised the CSeries would do nothing less than "revolutionize" the 100-to 149-seat commercial market.

Bombardier went ahead with the launch on the eve of Britain's prestigious Farnborough Air Show, with only a provisional order for 30 planes from German airline Lufthansa.

That's a far cry from the 50-100 orders the company had said it needed before moving ahead with the $3.3 billion venture.

But along with its provisional order, Lufthansa took out an option for 30 more jets. At a price of US$46.7 million each, the deal could eventually be worth more than $2.8 billion.

And on the cusp of one of the world's most important air shows, industry analysts predicted more good news announcements would be in store for Bombardier.

"(The CSeries) is going to sell like hotcakes," said Jacques Kavafian of Toronto-based Research Capital. "We think that before the show ends, they're going to book a lot more orders."

Kavafian indicated deals with Qatar Airways and International Lease Finance Corp. are likely in the works, while others with Shanghai Airlines and China Southern could be in the offing.

Bombardier confirmed Sunday that discussions with a number of airlines worldwide "are progressing well."

"We are engaged in active and very promising discussions with a number of airlines worldwide," Beaudoin told reporters in Farnborough.

Even without any firm contracts, Bombardier's workers joined Quebec's political class to hail the move to go ahead with the CSeries as essential for the country's aerospace industry.

The long-range jet will be designed and manufactured at its aircraft factory in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

But the manufacture of the aircraft's aft fuselage and cockpit will take place at its plant in Saint-Laurent, Que., while the final assembly will take place at a plant to be built in nearby Mirabel.

Quebec Premier Jean Charest said the CSeries will create 3,500 direct jobs in the province, along with several hundred spin-off opportunities.

"It's the entire Quebec economy that will benefit, not just Montreal but the regions as well," Charest told a news conference in Mirabel on Sunday.

The CSeries project will be financed partly by loans from Ottawa and the governments of Quebec, Northern Ireland and Britain.

Guy C. Hachey, president and chief operating officer at Bombardier Aerospace, called the CSeries aircraft program "a compelling business proposal" for both Canada and Quebec as well as Northern Ireland and the British government.

"It involves, among other things, the development of new technology, creation of employment and further consolidation of Canada's leadership in the aerospace industry," said Hachey.

"Our partners, including governments and suppliers, will benefit from the program's success."

Montreal narrowly beat out Kansas City, Mo., as the location for the assembly work. Charest acknowledged that his government "adjusted" its loan offer in light of the competition.

Quebec will invest $117 million in the project, while the federal government will inject $350 million.

Though the loans are interest free, both levels of government will recoup an undisclosed dividend for each plane sold.

"This is a situation where we all will emerge as winners," Charest said, adding his government is also committed to financing the building of the new plant in Mirabel.

Another major obstacle to the work being done in Canada was removed last week when Bombardier machinists voted 82.6 per cent in favour of a new tentative agreement - provided the new planes are built in Quebec.

The workers agreed that up to 15 per cent of the employees would work under a six-year contract with longer probation periods.

The new deal includes a 3.25 per cent salary increase per year over six years.

"These jobs will attract young people to the aerospace industry," said Michel Arsenault, head of the Quebec Federation of Labour , which represents Bombardier's machinists union.

"They will help make aerospace to Quebec what the car industry is to Ontario."

Underscoring the risk behind the project is the fact Bombardier has never built a plane as large as the planned CSeries.

The 100-to 149-seat commercial market is currently dominated by Europe's Airbus Industries and Chicago-based Boeing Co. (NYSE:BA), the world's two biggest commercial aviation companies.

"This is definitely the largest airplane, size wise, that Bombardier has ever endeavoured on," said Benjamin Boehm, director of the C-Series program.

"It's a move into the mainline market segment where we're targeting with this the larger mainline carriers."

Bombardier officials called the plane "the greenest of its class" and say it will be about 20 per cent more fuel efficient than its rivals.

That could provide a significant market opening for Bombardier at a time when the industry is racking up massive losses - about US$2.3 billion forecast for this year alone - and 25 airlines have shut down in the last six months.

"I think the CSeries could potentially be one of the best selling narrow-body airplanes in history because of its operational cost savings,"
analyst Kavafian said.

With record world oil prices, the costs of jet fuel has doubled in the last year and many airlines have cut jobs and reduced capacity to cope, or gone out of business.

Air Canada, (TSX:AC.B) Canada's largest air carrier, has cut 2,000 jobs and reduced capacity by about seven per cent to reduce expenses.

Executives at Lufthansa said the plane appealed to their need to keep fuel costs under control.

"Our initial evaluations of the CSeries family of aircraft and discussions with Bombardier over the last few months have evolved and made us believe that the CSeries family of aircraft clearly meets our stringent requirements for sustainable fleet development," said Nico Buchholz, senior vice-president, corporate fleet.

"After watching the development of the geared turbofan engine since the very early stages, we are confident that this next generation engine will deliver on its targets of double digit reductions in fuel burn, environmental emissions, engine noise and operating costs."

One of the world's major jet engine makers, Pratt & Whitney, will build the geared turbofan engine that will power the CSeries. Pratt & Whitney, which has major operations in the Montreal-area, is a division of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).

The first of the CSeries are slated for delivery in 2013.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Bombardier to invest a record £500m in Belfast aircraft plant

GERRY MORIARTY, Northern Editor

FIRST MINISTER Peter Robinson has described as “the most important investment in Northern Ireland for a generation” the decision by Canadian aircraft manufacturer Bombardier to invest £500 million (€625 million) in its Northern Ireland operation for a new series of aircraft.

The investment, which Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said was won following joint lobbying by himself and Mr Robinson of British prime minister Gordon Brown, will sustain more than 800 jobs at Bombardier in east Belfast.

It is the biggest single investment by any company in Northern Ireland.

Bombardier in Belfast will manufacture the wings for the company’s new series of aircraft called the CSeries, described as “the greenest single-aisle aircraft in its class”.

The British government is providing funding of £52 million to the project in Belfast as part of a wider contribution of £155 million to Bombardier.

Bombardier announced the project yesterday at the Farnborough International Airshow in England. At the announcement were the DUP Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Industry Arlene Foster and Northern Secretary Shaun Woodward.

Bombardier said that German airline Lufthansa has signed a letter of interest for up to 60 CSeries aircraft at an approximate price of $46.7 million (€29.4 million) each. They are due to enter into service in 2013.

It added that “discussions with a number of established airlines worldwide are progressing well”.

The final assembly of the aircraft will be at Mirabel near Montreal in Canada. Its fuselage and cockpit will be manufactured at Bombardier Aerospace’s facility at Saint Laurent in Canada. Belfast will design and manufacture the wings.

Bombardier has major ambitions for the CSeries aircrafts which will carry between 110 and 130 passengers. It believes that there is a demand for 6,300 aircraft in the 100- to 149-seat commercial aircraft market over the next 20 years. This business, according to the company, is worth $250 billion and Bombardier “expects to be able to capture up to half of this market”.

“Today is a great day for Bombardier, our customers, our employees, our shareholders and our suppliers. I am proud to say that we have met our business plan objectives: a technologically advanced aircraft family, a strong pipeline of orders and repayable investments with governments and agreements with key suppliers,” said Pierre Beaudoin, president and chief executive of Bombardier.

Nico Buchholz, senior vice president of Lufthansa’s corporate fleet, said the airline was proud to be part of the launch.

Mr Robinson said the investment was an enormous boost for Northern Ireland in general and east Belfast in particular. He said many of the 800 jobs would be new jobs.

“It is impossible to underestimate the importance of such an investment . . . and given the nature of the lengthy negotiations and the present economic climate, I have absolutely no doubt that but for devolution this deal would have been lost,” he said.

“This investment not only delivers jobs to Northern Ireland, but crucially does so in a high-skill, high-value-added sector. It will give a boost to the whole of Northern Ireland.” Mr McGuinness said he and Mr Robinson lobbied Mr Brown to help secure the investment. As well as sustaining jobs at Bombardier Belfast, he hoped it would generate “further jobs in the supply chain”.

© 2008 The Irish Times

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 3:31 PM
Bears of antiquity

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hot cakes.

I like Bombardier. Since Boeing and Airbus are duking it out over big jets, this should be a walk for them.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 6:47 PM

Good news for airlines. Its a bummer KC didn't get the plant, though.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 9:36 PM
TO, SH, and back again

Great news. I have high hopes.

Go Canadian Innovation and Ingenuity.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 12:00 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Good news for airlines. Its a bummer KC didn't get the plant, though.
I don't think there should have been any expectation that they would. I highly doubt that the Canadian government would have given Bombardier the money they did if the plant to build this plane was not built in Canada.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I don't think there should have been any expectation that they would. I highly doubt that the Canadian government would have given Bombardier the money they did if the plant to build this plane was not built in Canada.
Well, I don't think anybody's saying they would have. But at the same time, its not like the state of Missouri didn't come up with their own incentive packages in trying to attract Bombardier to build here. Sure expectations here were high, given that KC was the only U.S. site under consideration, but I think they were also tempered with reality, and it doesn't seem like anybody is too crushed that the company chose Montreal instead.

Not to mention most Missourians are more concerned at the moment with what happened in St. Louis over the weekend. . .

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hot cakes.

I like Bombardier. Since Boeing and Airbus are duking it out over big jets, this should be a walk for them.

Dont forget theyre 4th behind Embraer, and the embraer planes are rolling off the lines now, not future plans.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 4:42 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Dont forget theyre 4th behind Embraer, and the embraer planes are rolling off the lines now, not future plans.
The C-series is larger than any plane built by Embraer. I'd say Bombardier and Embraer are tied for 3rd at the moment, though to be fair the E-190 is a better plane than anything built by Bombardier.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 12:32 PM
Ku`u Lei

I'm doubtful that sales will pan out as Bombardier hopes. If oil stays anywhere near $125 and above for the foreseeable future, there will not be any way for operators to profitably continue offering regional jet service. Even at 20% better efficiency, there still is no justification for wasting large amounts of gas on flights that most turboprops can operate just 75 knots slower.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
The C-series is larger than any plane built by Embraer. I'd say Bombardier and Embraer are tied for 3rd at the moment, though to be fair the E-190 is a better plane than anything built by Bombardier.
I disagree. The 195 can hold 118, and the c-series is planned for 110-130, which is directly comparable.

Note that Jetblue, the biggest costumer, uses 100 passengers, because 101 would require a third flight attendant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflyer View Post
Even at 20% better efficiency, there still is no justification for wasting large amounts of gas on flights that most turboprops can operate just 75 knots slower.
As for as I know, Embraer is the only company that still has a turboprop line, and yet there are no orders.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:58 PM
Ku`u Lei

That will change. The time and cost required to get a turboprop to market are minimal compared to any kind of jet.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 2:01 PM

Quote:
I disagree. The 195 can hold 118, and the c-series is planned for 110-130, which is directly comparable.

Note that Jetblue, the biggest costumer, uses 100 passengers, because 101 would require a third flight attendant.

As for as I know, Embraer is the only company that still has a turboprop line, and yet there are no orders.
Bombardier has its own turboprop line (although I think they are still technically a jet engine), the Q series. I thought they were selling very well. I know Continental's feeder ariline just switched a lot of the Beeches to the new Qs.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 8:22 PM
I'm one fathom tall

Location: Sicilia (Sicily) 6 months a year/ Texas 6 months a year
Quote:

Turboprop orders are flying (no pun intended. Q series are being put on former RJ routes because RJs are so inefficient. The turboprop market will keep expanded, and that is a good thing for some smaller airports that would otherwise lose RJ service.

Ciao,
AWACS

Io sempre voglio la fica della mia mogile.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 8:43 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflyer View Post
I'm doubtful that sales will pan out as Bombardier hopes. If oil stays anywhere near $125 and above for the foreseeable future, there will not be any way for operators to profitably continue offering regional jet service. Even at 20% better efficiency, there still is no justification for wasting large amounts of gas on flights that most turboprops can operate just 75 knots slower.
I agree 100% with this. I don't think they will fly off the racks like Bombardier would have you to believe.

Bombardier is a bit late in the game for this airframe and Embraer, whether anyone north of the boarder likes to admit it or not, has the leg up and the sales leads in the industry right now. The E190/195 is a hot commodity right now for airlines and it will be very hard for Bombardier to nudge themselves in this market.

Hey, The EJets are already over powered, add a plug in them and they are just as big as the C-Series so the size thing is moot.

Also, if they plan on treading on the territory of Boeing and Airbus like this, they better hope their product is much better than the crap CRJ's that are flying now. If not, they might as well shut the C-Series line down before it starts.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation