HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:43 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I want to see a team in Seattle really badly, that would make for an instant rivalry with Vancouver. That being said QC should definitely get a team first!
Seattle has the wealth and population to make it happen though

Realistically they could support 4 franchises like Minneapolis, Denver, and the bay area do.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:06 AM
Go Chiefs!

Damn, Pittsburgh and Boston keep winning. It's going to be one heck of a battle... but meanwhile we're still on top.

Chicago extend their pt streak to 18 games. Will they lose a game in regulation this year?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:07 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Seattle has the wealth and population to make it happen though

Realistically they could support 4 franchises like Minneapolis, Denver, and the bay area do.
The same logic is why Atlanta and Phoenix have done so well. And why Miami and Dallas were surefire wins.

Seattle needs hockey fans. Not wealth, not population. Fans. Time will tell if they can produce enough. After watching guaranteed success stories fall flat on their face so many times in this sport, I'm hedging my bets.

I would love it though - it would be the closest non-Canadian team to me. Which means easy tickets without flying most of the way across the continent. Plus they'd be in the Flames' division, so I could see a bunch more games live.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:35 AM

Seattle has 2 major junior teams, (4 in Washington state) so there is definitely more of a hockey culture in Seattle compared to these teams in the south. Portland has a major junior team and would probably support an NHL team better than a lot of current cities. Portland's pop. is 2.2 million with only 1 pro team - the Trailblazers.

Looking at how many Canuck fans show up at other arenas, and how much cheaper tickets would be in Seattle, I could see Seattle getting significant ticket sales from Vancouver. It would be another shot at seeing your favorite team or big name player from back east.

Last edited by logan5; Feb 25, 2013 at 6:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:04 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Lead changes in the Calgary vs Phoenix game tonight - 4

Lead changes in the entire 26 game 2004 Calgary playoff run - 3

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:20 PM

What a dirty hit that was by Pacioretty on Ryan "Gomez" McDonagh.. Huge joke that it wasn't punished.

I'm surprised Patches didn't fake another injury afterwards to get out of trouble. Guy really is an idiot.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:04 PM
Community Guy

What a Cal/Phx game... wow.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
I'm surprised Patches didn't fake another injury afterwards to get out of trouble. Guy really is an idiot.
+1

He deserves to be lit up by Chara again.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:02 PM
Community Guy

I hope the Hawks are ready for their first regulation loss tonight.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:30 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

1. Nice to get the two points, but there are some issues that need to be addressed in Calgary. McDonald needs to really improve his rebound control. I watched the Phoenix feed and the announcers couldn't believe how many juicy rebounds the 'yotes were getting (but missing the opportunities).

2. Yeah Patches should have been suspended.

3. A couple pretty ridiculous calls against the Canucks for sure. And, while many will say they still allowed eight so it wouldn't matter, that would be hypocritical of me; I've said in past similar situations with the Flames that those calls can make a close game get out of hand and then things snowball. I've seen several blowouts that should have been close games if not for poor officiating at critical moments.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:56 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The same logic is why Atlanta and Phoenix have done so well. And why Miami and Dallas were surefire wins.

Seattle needs hockey fans. Not wealth, not population. Fans. Time will tell if they can produce enough. After watching guaranteed success stories fall flat on their face so many times in this sport, I'm hedging my bets.

I would love it though - it would be the closest non-Canadian team to me. Which means easy tickets without flying most of the way across the continent. Plus they'd be in the Flames' division, so I could see a bunch more games live.
You're a fool if you compare Seattle getting a hockey team to Dallas or Atlanta or Phoenix

A hockey team in Seattle would sell out every single game, wether its actual fans from Seattle or fans from Vancouver filling the seats.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 8:15 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

How many Vancouverites would drive to Seattle to catch a game between the Coyotes and Blue Jackets?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 8:27 PM

I doubt anyone from Vancouver would go to Seattle specifically to see a game that didn't involve the Canucks. There's no guarantee a team would be successful there, but I think it's worth a shot.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 8:34 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
How many Vancouverites would drive to Seattle to catch a game between the Coyotes and Blue Jackets?
200km to the game & 200 km home from the game 41 times a year? Not very many.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 8:38 PM
Change is good

There are several that travel from Calgary/Grande Prairie/Fort Mac/Red Deer for certain Oilers games. Definitely not all 41 games.
I could see some travelling for games in Seattle from Vancouver or even Victoria perhaps

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
There are several that travel from Calgary/Grande Prairie/Fort Mac/Red Deer for certain Oilers games. Definitely not all 41 games.
I could see some travelling for games in Seattle from Vancouver or even Victoria perhaps
Yeah, I've met people at games from Saskatchewan too.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 9:01 PM

Difference between Atlanta, Phoenix, Miami and Dallas is that people in Seattle actually play hockey.

Growing up in Vancouver we would often travel to play teams from Seattle and even as far as Portland/Northern California. We usually laid a licking on them but there was no shortage of teams and some were pretty competitive.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Right, but Vancouver already has a team, so what's the incentive to go to a game in Seattle? aside from games that involve the Canucks of course.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:26 PM
Change is good

It might not be a regular incentive, but one could make a sports weekend out of it...

Mariners/seahawks/coyotes/sonics all over a few nights (or at least a combo of 2/3 of the 4)? I'd make it a trip to Seattle to see that over going to Vancouver just for the Canucks. Not something I would do for 41 games... but certainly a option that Vancouver can't offer.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:42 PM
恭喜发财!

Quebec City should get its team back before any other city gets a new team...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada