HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:49 PM

Since we're discussing the area. CN will be replacing the superstructure for the two steel bridges that span over William Stephenson and Pioneer in the near future. They will still be steel from what I've heard.

I also really enjoy the old steel structures in the area of Waterfront. Gives a nice feel to the area.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Since we're discussing the area. CN will be replacing the superstructure for the two steel bridges that span over William Stephenson and Pioneer in the near future. They will still be steel from what I've heard.

I also really enjoy the old steel structures in the area of Waterfront. Gives a nice feel to the area.
Very interesting. That'll be quite a project. I hope whatever is built has as much character as the existing bridge!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:43 PM

^Yeah. It'll likely just be replacing what is there. So if you didn't know they were replaced, you probably won't even notice. I'm not sure of any plans for the steel structures down at Waterfront. CN seemed to be looking at the track and structures from the Red River through the Assiniboine River bridge.

I assume nothing will be done with any of the concrete retaining walls through downtown, as they are still standing.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 6:11 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

So, thinking about the new outlet mall (whatever it'll be called), and the roads in the general area...

The original plan was for the Suburban Beltway, in this portion, Bishop Grandin, to proceed westward to the Moray Bridge area, and then northward into Assiniboia from there.

From the looks of the map, the local planners seemed to have changed the routing and it seems like they want to designate Kenaston Blvd. as the north-south portion of this expressway.

...which is kind of how, back in 1985 when I was just getting into this stuff, I bought a paper map and drew red lines along where the SB would/should be.

I myself designated Kenaston Blvd. too.

So, is this going to be a good plan?

I can see that there is no need to go westward because further west is farmland...

If,

Sterling Lyon is the Southern Fwy. - uncompleted

and

Kenaston and Bishop is the Suburban Beltway...

But originally Waverley West was also farmland (Zoning 'A' or 'A1') to ('R1') since 2003.

Can the Kenaston flyover be upgraded in the future to allow for more traffic?

I just say, because I notice how Bishop and Kenaston curve towards each other.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 7:01 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Lagimodier - Bishop Grandin - Kenaston video by TransCanada Phil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqZulFskd8Y

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 4:17 PM

Pretty sure the Bishop, William Clement and Sterling Lyon extensions are all still on the books but are likely longer term plans.

Going back to the original inner ring concept, Route 90 as a whole was intended to be the western portion of the ring however the road has evolved to the point it is no longer suitable.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Pretty sure the Bishop, William Clement and Sterling Lyon extensions are all still on the books but are likely longer term plans.

Going back to the original inner ring concept, Route 90 as a whole was intended to be the western portion of the ring however the road has evolved to the point it is no longer suitable.
Actually, if you see an old copy of the WATS plan there was supposed to be a split near what is now the Mercedes-Benz dealership on Kenaston where the inner ring would go farther west and link up with what is now the Clement Parkway.

For some mysterious reason the city let Moray north of Portage become a regular quiet residential street... this effectively precludes the western leg from being built as designed as it would convert Moray into an expressway-with-houses in the manner of Kenaston between Grant and Academy, and I'm sure the people who live around there would go absolutely bonkers if the city wanted to do that now.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 3:18 PM

The plan is to still utilize Moray as the beltway. Functional design is underway for extending WRCP south to Wilkes, then further to connect with Bishop.

The choke point will be Moray north of Portage, like was outlined above. The City will need to demo half the street for 3 or 4 blocks. Likely will never happen, but maybe if CentrePort really takes off. The Silver Ave freeway is still on the books as a long term project. So by 2031 according to the Transportaion Master Plan.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
The plan is to still utilize Moray as the beltway. Functional design is underway for extending WRCP south to Wilkes, then further to connect with Bishop.

The choke point will be Moray north of Portage, like was outlined above. The City will need to demo half the street for 3 or 4 blocks. Likely will never happen, but maybe if CentrePort really takes off. The Silver Ave freeway is still on the books as a long term project. So by 2031 according to the Transportaion Master Plan.
William R. Clement Parkway Extension Study Open House will be on January 19 from 4:00 - 7:30 at the Charleswood United Church on Roblin.

This is the page on Winnipeg.ca for the project but curiously no mention yet of the open house that they've posted in the papers.
http://winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/Major...dy/default.asp

Project team members will be there plus presentation boards outlining 3 proposed alignment options.

Also, last year they put out an RFP for proposals on how to deal with the grade separation at Shaftesbury and Wilkes plus twinning of Wilkes from Sterling Lyon to the Perimeter.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
William R. Clement Parkway Extension Study Open House will be on January 19 from 4:00 - 7:30 at the Charleswood United Church on Roblin.

This is the page on Winnipeg.ca for the project but curiously no mention yet of the open house that they've posted in the papers.
http://winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/Major...dy/default.asp

Project team members will be there plus presentation boards outlining 3 proposed alignment options.

Also, last year they put out an RFP for proposals on how to deal with the grade separation at Shaftesbury and Wilkes plus twinning of Wilkes from Sterling Lyon to the Perimeter.
I think both of those studies are all part of the same functional design, no? With more detail being focused on the extensions to Wilke, less detail on the future extension to Bishop and the new Wilkes route?

Either way, I'm interested to see what comes out on the 19th.

Edit: I see the scope defined at teh above link. Which I've copied in below.

Project Scope:

Conduct a high-level functional design from Grant Ave. to McGillivray Blvd.
Conduct a more detailed preliminary design from Grant Ave. to Wilkes Ave.
Incorporate grade separation of WRCP Extension at the CN Main Line (North of Existing Wilkes Ave.).
Develop alternatives for the WRCP Extension connection to Wilkes Ave.
Develop realignment alternatives for Wilkes Ave.
Develop alternatives for the Harte Trail crossing of the WRCP Extension.
Obtain Environmental Act Licensing for the WRCP Extension from Grant Ave. to Wilkes Ave.
Undertake conceptual Environmental Assessment Study for the long-term Extension of the WRCP from Wilkes Ave. to McGillivray Blvd.

The project area map.

Source:http://winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/Major...nStudy-Map.jpg

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 7:50 PM

WRCP survey response:

"Please keep WRCP a limited access road, ideally with full grade separations."

Submit.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:49 PM

Info board were posted today on the City website. It's a mixed bag of half-assed poop.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/M...ouseBoards.pdf

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Info board were posted today on the City website. It's a mixed bag of half-assed poop.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/M...ouseBoards.pdf
Thanks for posting that. I'd say it's in keeping with the rest of the inner ring route in terms of design standards.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 6:35 PM

Just junk..this city never learns. I imagine the CPT extension will look much the same.

Stupid thing is, if I recall correctly the city plans a stack interchange at Bishop/Kenastop long term ..to allow for flow of Centerport traffic. Yet they litter part of the same route (WRCP) with traffic lights. So we will have one kickass interchange surrounded by only traffic lights in every direction. This make sense to anyone else?

You can also tell they are promoting the traffic light option at Eldridge..has the most pros and the fewest cons. Funny how the negative impact to traffic flow is not listed in the cons.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 7:03 PM

So whats the point of adding a traffic light on grant (no intersection) where there used to be an unmarked pedestrian crossing in between Chalfont and Shaftesbury? IMO a pedestrian crossing light would have made more sense.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 10:06 PM

You can easily read into what the preferred option will be, based on the pros and cons. The light on Grant Ave that rkspec speaks of. Is that separate from this and already installed? I don't see a traffic light on Grant, other than the one currently at WCRP.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 10:08 PM

Chief Peguis will be interesting to see what gets built. They are proposing interchanges for Main and McPhillips, with a lighted intersection at Ferrier. Not as easy to read into that one. But I'm thinking (hoping) those two interchanges go through. In reality, it's not that much more expensive than those intersections. Of course it's more, but not $50 million.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
So whats the point of adding a traffic light on grant (no intersection) where there used to be an unmarked pedestrian crossing in between Chalfont and Shaftesbury? IMO a pedestrian crossing light would have made more sense.
I've seen this light as well..and had the same thoughts as you. Has the city got so traffic light happy that it's placing them in locations where no intersection even exists?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 10:52 PM

Must be similar to the traffic light next to the CMHR. A pedestrian only light. They seem to p[lace those where there is high volumes of pedestrians. Not sure of the situation on Grant. But at the CMHR, the only time it would be busy is Canada Day. And there's usually tons of traffic and a stand still and cops everywhere.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Must be similar to the traffic light next to the CMHR. A pedestrian only light. They seem to p[lace those where there is high volumes of pedestrians. Not sure of the situation on Grant. But at the CMHR, the only time it would be busy is Canada Day. And there's usually tons of traffic and a stand still and cops everywhere.
Have one on portage by polo park as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan