HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 10:37 PM

David Booth art collection

Trying to figure out where Elon Musk might have his house, I was trolling with Google satellite maps. Came across this place instead. It is all new to me. I never knew anything about this amazing treasure trove of art that will probably remain in Austin in the years ahead. Who knew?

https://stories.usatodaynetwork.com/...llection/home/

https://www.statesman.com/photogalle...213009996/PH/1

Last edited by austlar1; May 29, 2021 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Trying to figure out where Elon Musk might have his house, I was trolling with Google satellite maps. Came across this place instead. It is all new to me. I never knew anything about this amazing treasure trove of art that will probably remain in Austin in the years ahead. Who knew?

https://stories.usatodaynetwork.com/...llection/home/
Hands down 10x more interesting than Laguna Gloria. I'd buy a ticket.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Don't know whether you saw this. I just added the link to photogallery of collection. Pretty amazing. https://www.statesman.com/photogalle...213009996/PH/1

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Don't know whether you saw this. I just added the link to photogallery of collection. Pretty amazing. https://www.statesman.com/photogalle...213009996/PH/1

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 2:26 PM

Quote:
s t u n n i n g ! Thanks, Austlar!

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 4:06 PM

600K in property taxes a year. simply amazing.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 6:52 PM

WOW! That is an awesome collection.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 6:55 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Trying to figure out where Elon Musk might have his house...
South side of the river. In Westlake. Between Davenport Ranch and the City of West Lake Hills. Across the river from the ends of Tortuga Trail and Craggy Point.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
South side of the river. In Westlake. Between Davenport Ranch and the City of West Lake Hills. Across the river from the ends of Tortuga Trail and Craggy Point.
If it's the place I think it is, Elon or Elon's shell company only spent about $6,000,000 for a nice looking (from the satellite view) contemporary home. Modest digs for the world's second or third richest man, but I kind of admire that. The David Booth spread across the river and up the road just a bit is a whole lot more house, land and ART. Kinda admire that too. Speaking of real estate along the river, The Holdsworth Center project, being financed with Butts money, has certainly flown under the radar. It appears to be some kind of retreat or learning center for educators. Maybe I just don't have good radar equipment. Looks like quite a place based on video. It is next door to the Booth property. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1C1oAfHReA

Last edited by austlar1; May 29, 2021 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Wow. I have some steel sunflowers and fake stone floodlights in my yard. Oh the difference between the haves and have-nots...

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 7:54 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Wow. I have some steel sunflowers and fake stone floodlights in my yard. Oh the difference between the haves and have-nots...
I'm just happy to have grass and a driveway.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 8:24 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
THIS is philanthropy!
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
THIS is philanthropy!
I agree. The collection is spectacular. It is good to know that at least one of the BIG MONEY folks here in Austin is collecting serious art and is presumably interested in keeping it here after he is gone. It looks like he wants to turn his home and grounds into a permanent museum at some later date. Fingers crossed he doesn't change his mind. I'm sure museums in other cities are going to try to tempt him with offers.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 2:28 AM

Quote:
I agree. The collection is spectacular. It is good to know that at least one of the BIG MONEY folks here in Austin is collecting serious art and is presumably interested in keeping it here after he is gone. It looks like he wants to turn his home and grounds into a permanent museum at some later date. Fingers crossed he doesn't change his mind. I'm sure museums in other cities are going to try to tempt him with offers.
I am also happy about the idea of another art collection and institution and this is undoubtedly an amazing and vast collection. I also definitely agree this is philanthropy; (eventually) an enormous donation to the city...

But this is not quite as exciting to me as it seems to be for others; they make clear in the article that "Booth wants to convert his property to a civic use, to make it accessible to the public for small groups to tour after his death," and that immediately rings alarm-bells about accessibility. The property is still in a wealthy, giant-single-family home neighborhood zoned as such and I don't anticipate a decent sized parking facility anywhere nearby. Neighbors will also complain and do everything in their power to limit access and traffic. It's great that people will be able to enjoy this collection, but how many will actually see it? How many non-affluent families from around the region will travel into the hills and mansions of West Austin to enjoy this? They say specifically "small groups" - does this include field trips for public schoolers, or is that too large? It sounds like they want a small staff of curators to give small private tours (and I doubt they could physically accommodate much more without major improvements and new infrastructure), but I may be overly pessimistic. I just question how much of the entire community this will ever serve or will be able to appreciate this.

I know it's pie-in-the-sky and this is my inner-millennial coming out, but I wish he would relocate his collection after his passing to a more accessible area - a new sculpture garden and art museum on the South Shore, for instance. I know the city has an affinity for those baseball diamonds, but just imagine if Butler Shores was reconfigured to accommodate such a space; a block from Umlauf and Zilker and Zach Scott and an short walk from Dougherty Arts, Auditorium Shores, The Long Center, and the Botanical Garden (not to mention right off the heavily trafficked hike and bike trail and on Austin's front lawn). It would be far more organic than the Dallas Arts District (in the spirit of Austin), yet one of the greatest assemblages of cultural institutions and exhibitions anywhere around. A man can dream...

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyvilleJ-Rad View Post
I am also happy about the idea of another art collection and institution and this is undoubtedly an amazing and vast collection. I also definitely agree this is philanthropy; (eventually) an enormous donation to the city...

But this is not quite as exciting to me as it seems to be for others; they make clear in the article that "Booth wants to convert his property to a civic use, to make it accessible to the public for small groups to tour after his death," and that immediately rings alarm-bells about accessibility. The property is still in a wealthy, giant-single-family home neighborhood zoned as such and I don't anticipate a decent sized parking facility anywhere nearby. Neighbors will also complain and do everything in their power to limit access and traffic. It's great that people will be able to enjoy this collection, but how many will actually see it? How many non-affluent families from around the region will travel into the hills and mansions of West Austin to enjoy this? They say specifically "small groups" - does this include field trips for public schoolers, or is that too large? It sounds like they want a small staff of curators to give small private tours (and I doubt they could physically accommodate much more without major improvements and new infrastructure), but I may be overly pessimistic. I just question how much of the entire community this will ever serve or will be able to appreciate this.

I know it's pie-in-the-sky and this is my inner-millennial coming out, but I wish he would relocate his collection after his passing to a more accessible area - a new sculpture garden and art museum on the South Shore, for instance. I know the city has an affinity for those baseball diamonds, but just imagine if Butler Shores was reconfigured to accommodate such a space; a block from Umlauf and Zilker and Zach Scott and an short walk from Dougherty Arts, Auditorium Shores, The Long Center, and the Botanical Garden (not to mention right off the heavily trafficked hike and bike trail and on Austin's front lawn). It would be far more organic than the Dallas Arts District (in the spirit of Austin), yet one of the greatest assemblages of cultural institutions and exhibitions anywhere around. A man can dream...
Yeah, a relocation would be ideal. The collection could be core to a new museum in the center of the city. Butler Shores would be a good spot. Access in the current location will be a problem, kind of like the Barnes Collection when it was housed outside Philadelphia in the former Barnes estate. Admission was by reservation only. Still, it's pretty clear that Mr. Booth's current vision is for the collection to reside at his purpose built estate. I'm sure visiting there would be a real treat.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, a relocation would be ideal. The collection could be core to a new museum in the center of the city. Butler Shores would be a good spot. Access in the current location will be a problem, kind of like the Barnes Collection when it was housed outside Philadelphia in the former Barnes estate. Admission was by reservation only. Still, it's pretty clear that Mr. Booth's current vision is for the collection to reside at his purpose built estate. I'm sure visiting there would be a real treat.
For residents and visitors, a nice day trip for sure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin