HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 11:37 PM

That was a munchies joke. But now that I know there is a pizza shop right next to the cannabis dispensary it’s even funnier.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:44 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ower-1.4624744

Quote:
"The bell tower at the corner of Osborne Street and Stradbrook Avenue that's been a staple in the Village for more than 20 years is going to be transformed into an outlook that will be open to the public.

"This will be what we believe is the highest point for a lookout tower on this side of the city, and we are looking at making it 100 per cent accessible for everyone," said Stephanie Meilleur, executive director of the Osborne Village BIZ.

The bells will be removed from the tower and the structure — which stands over 50 feet tall — will be converted into a lookout tower that Meilleur says will likely include a lift to make it completely accessible.

The area around the tower will also get new streetscaping, part of a larger project that started in 2015.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:48 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What a waste – what is there to look at from there. I'd way rather see that money go to improving general aesthetics, streetscaping, and lighting on the ground where people actually are.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:48 PM

^ That has to be a joke

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:51 PM

^^^Not sure how I feel about that...it seems like something that will be underused, plus expensive to install a lift. And just...not attractive looking. I would rather a tear down and the installation of a new large-scale public sculpture. The village doesn't have much sculpture other than that oil rig-like piece of metal near the Roslyn.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:54 PM

The village looks like shit and the BIZ wants to spend scarce streetscaping dollars on a 50 foot tall wheelchair-accessible observation tower?

Sounds like someone needs to step in and save the BIZ from itself.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
– what is there to look at from there.
Perhaps the building owners in the village can use it to take prospective tenants up there to point out all the vacancies in the village.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:11 PM

That seems, odd. The tower is nothing more than a few pieces of steel.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:15 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Relax. After cutbacks it'll be a big surveillance camera tower.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:20 PM

I was looking at streetview and there's already a camera for the traffic management centre right beside the tower.

Even though they aren't supposed to be for anything but traffic, there have been requests from police to view the footage from what I hear. Not sure how that works. How long before MPI is viewing footage for accidents?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:57 PM

lol talk about missing the point with that one. literally 100 things need to be fixed but they focus efforts what will become an elevator to nowhere. At least the lookout point is so low my friend can toss me a beer from the street below.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:18 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I was looking at streetview and there's already a camera for the traffic management centre right beside the tower.
Cameras are for more than traffic management. Typically those have a wide field of view to get the big picture of what's going on.

License plate readers on the other hand have a narrow field of view and look in specific spots. (My understanding is that Winnipeg police already have several camera-equipped patrol cars, reading all the licence plates they go by and feeding them into a database. Searches for expired licenses or expired insurance or vehicles belonging to persons of interest can be done later.)

Down in the Excited States there's a growing industry of private companies with networks of license plate readers selling data to insurance companies, law enforcement, corporate investigators, etc..

Now automated facial recognition is taking off. Both Britain and China have made recent high-profile arrests after cameras picked wanted people out of huge festival crowds. Osborne Village, The Forks and the new TNS courtyard would be ideal camera locations. An unknown face can be assigned an ID to tie sightings together in a database.

Police or corporate investigators will be able to retroactively tail someone years later with a quick purchase from facial and licence plate reader databases. (When I was in the Soviet Union in the '80s, there were what looked like mini air traffic control towers in major intersections and along highways, doing all this with much lower-tech methods.)

We'll be seeing a lot more cameras than the traffic management ones. So fear not; the tower won't go to waste.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:25 PM

Here is the current CoW statement regarding use of the TMC images:

The purpose of the TMC traffic cameras is to monitor and address traffic flows.
It is not the purpose of the TMC traffic cameras to operate as a law enforcement tool.

TMC traffic cameras are operated at certain fixed locations on the roadways to maximize coverage. Default resolution settings do not allow for the identification of personal information such as license plate numbers, or facial recognition. Pan/Tilt/Zoom capabilities may be used when monitoring a specific traffic congestion incident, traffic disruption, suspected damage to City of Winnipeg property, or when a traffic study is being conducted.

Cameras will not be set to view or record locations where an individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Additional remediation measures (such as privacy masks) will be used where possible to restrict zoom-in view around areas where privacy is expected.

Any personal information recorded by cameras is collected pursuant to 36(1)(b) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

The recorded data from TMC cameras is retained for the time frame of up to 7 days, when possible.

It will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose, unless authorized by The Act. If you have any questions regarding this collection or use of this information, please contact the City of Winnipeg Corporate FIPPA Coordinator by mail to City Clerk’s Department, Administration Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9, or by telephone at 311.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 11:43 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Perhaps the building owners in the village can use it to take prospective tenants up there to point out all the vacancies in the village.
BEST Post of the Week!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
BEST Post of the Week!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Even though they aren't supposed to be for anything but traffic, there have been requests from police to view the footage from what I hear. Not sure how that works. How long before MPI is viewing footage for accidents?
I dont really have an issue with police requesting footage for investigations. When I worked at a local nightclub, the police requested footage all the time. We werent obligated to comply (except the one time they served us with a search warrant haha) but we always did.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:11 PM

Like you folks mentioned, the cameras sole purpose is to monitor traffic. The cameras are not HD to prevent instrusion into peoples private spaces (including in your car).

But now that the cameras are out there, it's a natrual evolution to use them for other purposes. Bait and switch type thing. Do I really have a problem if police request viedo because something major happened, no. But I do take issue if they're constantly using them for surveilance and things like that. That's not the intent.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:38 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The village looks like shit and the BIZ wants to spend scarce streetscaping dollars on a 50 foot tall wheelchair-accessible observation tower?

Sounds like someone needs to step in and save the BIZ from itself.
There is no way this will cost what they are thinking it will. And no way the existing bell tower is going to be able to just be converted into a observation tower complete with elevator.

The elevator alone will cost ~$100k. Plus it will need HVAC, and a staircase (not to mention an elevator shaft and foundation).

I wonder who is giving these people advice. This is very pie in the sky.

I mean, how do control access? Will it need to be staffed as well? You can't just have some open to the public observation tower. It will basically be the domain of drunken revelers, and panhandlers.

At least the firehall is right there for first aid when, I dunno, someone falls off.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:52 PM

If it was the largest observation tower between Toronto and Calgary, then that would be something.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
If it was the largest observation tower between Toronto and Calgary, then that would be something.
Would you take largest between Souris and the Forks?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan