HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:31 AM

If only they would have just planted the same trees that they did infront of the Wingate!!!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:21 PM

The new Costco will open on Nov 02.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4593287/n...arly-november/

(And there's a rumour out there the Dilawri group has bought the old Costco location.)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The new Costco will open on Nov 02.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4593287/n...arly-november/

(And there's a rumour out there the Dilawri group has bought the old Costco location.)
I heard it was another car dealer.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I heard it was another car dealer.
It's not Dilawri.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 5:21 PM

I heard it was a Save On Foods distribution centre

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
I heard it was a Save On Foods distribution centre
Wouldn’t that require rezoning? I have to assume that’s all zoned Major Arterial Commercial. It may be a big, soon-to-be-empty building, but that’s not right for that location. (Especially when we just spent $1.9 billion trying to get trucks OFF Vic East.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Wouldn’t that require rezoning? I have to assume that’s all zoned Major Arterial Commercial. It may be a big, soon-to-be-empty building, but that’s not right for that location. (Especially when we just spent $1.9 billion trying to get trucks OFF Vic East.
It was recently rezoned from Contract (CZ) to MAC. Auto dealers are permitted in a MAC zone.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
It was recently rezoned from Contract (CZ) to MAC. Auto dealers are permitted in a MAC zone.
Right. I was talking about the distribution centre. Whoever the car dealer is (Wheaton?) seems more likely.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Right. I was talking about the distribution centre. Whoever the car dealer is (Wheaton?) seems more likely.
I heard Auto Gallery...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I heard Auto Gallery...
The owner of AG owns the Jag/Land Rover dealer in YYC. It would be great if they opened one in YQR but the timing is probably poor.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
The owner of AG owns the Jag/Land Rover dealer in YYC. It would be great if they opened one in YQR but the timing is probably poor.
Yes, that's right and also some kind of dealership in Saskatoon, no? It would make sense, to consolidate his presence in Regina and keep up with the other dealers.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Yes, that's right and also some kind of dealership in Saskatoon, no? It would make sense, to consolidate his presence in Regina and keep up with the other dealers.
He has some in BC as well I believe. Also Subaru in Calgary.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 4:04 PM

I bought a vehicle from auto gallery once. They lied and said it had never been involved in any accidents. It had actually been a total loss vehicle that they had purchased and fixed up. I was young and didn't do a VIN check so my fault for getting duped, but their fault for the whole fraudulent sale thing.

I mean most dealerships are dishonest, but AG takes it to a whole different level.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 7:09 PM

No offense but I wouldn't touch anything with a ten foot pole from auto gallery. There lack of morals towards customers and staff are horrible in this day and age. The fact that they laugh at customers when they succeed at a scam. As I work in the east end, I don't want this ahole anywhere close to me

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 11:12 PM

Any picture updates for the new Cornwall Centre ceiling and flooring?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:55 PM

Has anyone had a chance to get to the new Costco yet? Does it live up to the hype?

Personally all I really care about is that it's easier to get in and out of the parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Has anyone had a chance to get to the new Costco yet? Does it live up to the hype?

Personally all I really care about is that it's easier to get in and out of the parking lot.
The girlfriend and I went Friday so we can avoid the weekend rush. We got in and out of there as fast as we can but here are my notes:
  • Once you pull off of Victoria Ave, there are a lot of options to get in and out of the Costco parking lot.
  • There's only one way out of Aurora right now (I believe) and the line to get on to Victoria Ave to head towards the city was extremely long. This was largely due to poor signage designating the middle lane as a left-turning lane.
  • The parking lot was full and people were parking on the side streets. This likely won't be a problem going forward.
  • Parking lot includes a lot of landscaping with large islands for shrubs and trees at the end of the rows.
  • There are at least 50% more gas pumps and there were no lines to get gas.
  • Saw on a sign that they offer propane cylinder fill-ups.
  • The new store inside is a typical new Costco if you ever been to one elsewhere. I noticed many new items that they didn't have at the old location due to lack of space.
  • The produce cooler is a lot bigger and there is now a dedicated dairy cooler.
  • Definitely a net positive for my girlfriend and I but I am hoping Victoria Ave. won't be the only access for long as other stores and restaurants open up.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 8:21 PM

I went last night around 7:30 pm, still a lot of vehicles arriving into the area. As I turned onto Aurora Blvd from Victoria Ave., the end-of-the-day, mass exodus had begun as I noticed a long stream of vehicles heading north, to line up for the traffic light intending to turn left onto Victoria Ave.

Although I found parking for my vehicle quite easily among the exodus of shoppers, vacant parking spaces were still sparse and scattered throughout the parking lot, and vehicles were still parked on the streets.

Inside the store, there is definitely more space, the old location often had centre section aisles that would barely fit 2 shopping carts abreast. The new location has significantly more aisle space than the old.

Cashier lanes are set further away from the first aisle of shelvings, so there is almost no congestion along that aisle when approaching the line-ups to pay, even during the busy, end-of-day exodus. (Although I hear it was way busier in there earlier that day, possibly negating my observations!)

The eating area seems less crowded, with more tables, and with new items on the menu at the food counter (chicken wings!). And there is also ample space buffering the area between the cashier lanes and eating area which lessens shoppers' through and egress traffic congestion.

Interior store layout is more in-line with Costco's in other cities (Saskatoon, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Billings, MO, Seattle, WA).

On the way out (just past 8 pm), I was looking for alternate road exits (like openstreetmap.org shows from Anaquod Rd into the Greens on Gardiner neighbourhood), but it seems Aurora Blvd is the only way in and out for now. From the Aurora website planning layout, it looks like Haughton Road, Arens Road E. and Buckingham Drive will eventually connect east-west to Anaquod Rd and beyond (Arens Road E.), while Chuka Blvd and Aurora Blvd will extend north-south to connect Aurora with the southeast neighbourhood.

Upon exiting via Aurora Blvd north-bound, I noticed 2 left-turn lanes to go west-bound onto Victoria Ave., but I turned right from the single turn lane to head east toward Tower Rd and the new east Bypass to get back to Arcola Ave. (convenient for me) to get back home. I'm not sure if I noticed traffic lights at Tower Rd and Victoria Ave. for traffic exiting the north-bound Bypass, intending to head west onto Victoria Ave. Please correct me if I'm wrong. East Bypass to Victoria Ave. may be more convenient for me (and family) if I need to get there from home, until they finally build and connect the neighbourhood roads. I may head back that way to explore the area again later today.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
I'm not sure if I noticed traffic lights at Tower Rd and Victoria Ave. for traffic exiting the north-bound Bypass, intending to head west onto Victoria Ave..
Yeah, I think that’s a stop sign, unfortunately.

One thing to remember about the old building is that it was not built by Costco, but was a Price Club originally. That may explain why it didn’t have the same specs as Saskatoon or other locations.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think that’s a stop sign, unfortunately.

One thing to remember about the old building is that it was not built by Costco, but was a Price Club originally. That may explain why it didn’t have the same specs as Saskatoon or other locations.
The lights are wired in the ground. I believe that the City of Regina is installing them next spring / summer. However, I expect a few collisions there before the spring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan