HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:45 PM
Heart of the Continent

You're picking out a few relatively small groups and using that as some kind of indentifier for the left, when that just isn't the case. On the other hand, if you believe in the theory of systemic racism (I'm on the fence there), then yes, all white people are racist, even without knowing it or meaning to be.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Here's a sample from Canada's own Dalhousie University:
http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/coll...an-hating-fits

And here's the standard "All white people are racists" crap:
http://www.intellihub.com/liberal-pr...ist-no-matter/

There's plenty more. In fact, there's a mountain of it.
Well, yeah, if your understanding of universities is based on paranoid fake news sites like the two you linked above, I can see why you'd be outraged.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 1:43 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Well, yeah, if your understanding of universities is based on paranoid fake news sites like the two you linked above, I can see why you'd be outraged.
Didn't even notice that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:08 PM

This stuff is all over National Post as well. And the Sun.

Papers which are happily decried by the left wing as having a concervative agenda, as if the Toronto Star or Winnipeg Free press don't trip hard to the left.

Seriously, Universities in Canada have thrown freedom of speech and equality in its pure definition out the window a long time ago. Quite frankly I'm surprised that you guys haven't heard more about it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Can't we just have "news" instead of left versus right?

The FP obviously has some left leaning editorials, and the Sun has right leaning editorials and opinion pieces - but that isn't news - it's just someones interpretation of it. Most of us are smart enough to realize that. I love Neil MacDonald opinion pieces, but I know it's not news.

In terms of actual "news" if we are looking at say the Sun versus the FP - there really is no comparison. I get the news from the FP, or the CBC. The Sun is basically a collection of ideological opinion pieces, local sports articles and entertainment fluff.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Okay, here it is in the NYT. Still fake news?
https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...erica/?mcubz=0

People are starting to acknowledge that what started as righteous is now coming full circle. Those of us who still profess this BS better do some soul searching or end up on the wrong side of history.

Does the alt-right go too far? Yes, of course they do. White supremacists have always been there publishing newsletters, holding speeches and rallies and nobody cared. They're seen as a danger now that so many have been alienated by the extremes of the left and are looking for an alternative.

Events like the Charlottesville car attack will force the NEW right to repudiate themselves from the extremist white supremacists but it will take time. Once the movement finds it's stride, it will change the political paradigm we live in, which frankly is still a reaction to the evils of the Nazis is WWII - old news, lesson learned, time to move on. Still, coming from a childhood filled with communist brainwashing, historical revision and scapegoating the wealthy or intellectuals, it's terrifying to see so many here who's posts I have read for years appear so taken in by it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Okay, here it is in the NYT. Still fake news?
Yup, still fake news. If you don't see how the Intellihub headline is a gross sensationalization of Yancy's point, I don't know what to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Seriously, Universities in Canada have thrown freedom of speech and equality in its pure definition out the window a long time ago. Quite frankly I'm surprised that you guys haven't heard more about it.
As someone who teaches at a Canadian university, I'm surprised that I haven't heard more about it too. Maybe because it's paranoid nonsense? The radical voices that right-wing news outlets love to wring their hands about are just one of a wide range of opinions that are represented on campus.

And I'm not even sure what "equality in its pure definition" is supposed to mean.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:41 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=JM5;7901206]Okay, here it is in the NYT. Still fake news?

What a bunch of garbage. Substitute the word "White" with any other ethnic group and the writer would be looking for a new line of work. This article is precisely why Trump got elected in the first place. Vilifying any ethnic group nearly always backfires.

Just Google political correctness backlash" and find out the significant part it played in getting Trump elected.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

The FP obviously has some left leaning editorials, and the Sun has right leaning editorials and opinion pieces - but that isn't news - it's just someones interpretation of it. Most of us are smart enough to realize that. I love Neil MacDonald opinion pieces, but I know it's not news.

In terms of actual "news" if we are looking at say the Sun versus the FP - there really is no comparison. I get the news from the FP, or the CBC. The Sun is basically a collection of ideological opinion pieces, local sports articles and entertainment fluff.
That's where I think you're wrong. Sure, most well educated people (likely most of this forum) are "smart" enough to form their own opinions - but I'd guess half if not more people aren't, or take "editorials" at face value, and don't have the ability or understanding to separate what's "news" and what isn't.

The hate the term "column" or "columnist" in a jounalistic for this sense - the average person has no idea that because it's a "column" it means it's opinion and not news. Every god damn article has columns - it's a format. That word was purposely chosen 100 years+ ago as a way to mask opinion pieces in the news, when newspapers were even more politically biased than they are today.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yup, still fake news. If you don't see how the Intellihub headline is a gross sensationalization of Yancy's point, I don't know what to say.
What he wrote might only be one man's opinion, but the NYT (arguably the premier newspaper in the world) seems to think it's worth publishing - think about that.

Sensationalism is what sells. Don't tell me right wing sites are the only ones guilty of it. People like Milo and Alex Jones absolutely DO sensationalise because it draws attention and they couldn't care less whether it's positive or negative. No publicity is bad publicity.

There's a strong demand for right wing rhetoric because the left has gone well overboard and is now an example of what they profess to despise. I remember lefties saying the same things 20-25 years ago, but they were easily dismissed at the time as ideological kids. I think it's plain to see that times have changed, the kids are now in charge and the animals run the farm as it were.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:52 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Such news services are still easy to find.

Should anyone disagree about CNN, note that there are *two* axis on the chart.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 7:12 PM

BTW, it used to be that Winnipeg Transit buses and signs were painted orange and yellow/beige, colors normally seen on NDP campaign signs.

Around the time Filmon was in power, the color scheme on buses changed to white with Tory-blue highlights. The more elaborate transit stops adopted blue signage and brickwork.

Just coincidence?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 7:41 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
My bemoaning was more directed at news needing to be defined as having left leaning or right leaning agendas.

IMO news is news. If you get your news from somewhere with an obvious left or right lean - it's not news. It's opinion.

CBC is still news. The FP is still news.

The Sun is not. Unless your news consists of local sports.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:

Should anyone disagree about CNN, note that there are *two* axis on the chart.
That's actually not a bad chart... about the only thing I would quibble with is CNN's placement given that it's arguably a bit more in-depth than MSNBC and FOX News... they actually have a stable of international reporters they turn to whenever they can tear themselves away from the usual in-studio talking heads. Whoever did that chart up clearly doesn't like CNN all that much.

I'd probably move MSNBC and FOX News down to "Basic AF" and CNN up to that category. (Is "Basic AF" a category they teach in journalism school these days? )

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
BTW, it used to be that Winnipeg Transit buses and signs were painted orange and yellow/beige, colors normally seen on NDP campaign signs.

Around the time Filmon was in power, the color scheme on buses changed to white with Tory-blue highlights. The more elaborate transit stops adopted blue signage and brickwork.

Just coincidence?
The change to blue for transit happened about 10 years ago when all the stop upgrades were happening. Regular transit stops are orange. Buses are white with the CITY colours as accents.

One thing I will say though that I detest is Pallister's podiums and signaage are always blue, and it shouldn't be allowed. Manitoba's official government colours are black and green, and our sports/promo colours are black and yellow.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:23 PM

^ Governments like to play that childish game where they surreptitiously try to squeeze in as much of their party's colours as possible. It's sort of like the old joke about how the CBC logo goes from red to blue to red again depending on who's in power.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
... about the only thing I would quibble with is CNN's placement
There's a pair of same-day stories I like to give to demonstrate that CNN isn't left-wing as the alt-right claims, and that it IS just plain sensationalist. Remember the $12bn in shrink-wrapped $100 bills sent into Iraq on cargo pallets that they lost track of?

The Guardian: How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish

Note the date of the article: Feb 8, 2007. This is the same day that Playboy Playmate Anna Nicole Smith died.

The Daily Show - a comedy show - covered the Iraq money story and showed footage of Halliburton and military officials each giving their "I dunno..." in front of Congress. Foreign news services like The Guardian and BBC covered the story.

CNN instead switched to 24-7 dead bimbo format for the week, and did not have room for the Iraq money story. There was a wonderful moment when Lou Dobbs - and this is a guy who likes to parrot Infowars stories - declared that enough was enough and he wouldn't cover the bimbo story any more.... And then they cut to Wolf Blitzer - with a "deer caught in the headlights" look - standing in front of a wall of monitors showing a bimbo story headline.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Governments like to play that childish game where they surreptitiously try to squeeze in as much of their party's colours as possible. It's sort of like the old joke about how the CBC logo goes from red to blue to red again depending on who's in power.
Here's one that's hard to beat. When the conservatives were in power in Newfoundland a few years back, they didn't just change the province's logo to blue -- they actually reclad the legislative building in blue.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 8:24 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Okay, it's not like it's difficult to find the exact same information in about a million other places. I just linked the first two I saw. In any case, are you denying anything I've said? Do you even know what's going on?

The left controls the universities. That's incontrovertible. I wouldn't mind if their policies weren't informed by lunatics on the fringe. Do you actually think that those are the only two sources and examples I can find?

I assume you're young as well or so entrenched in ideology that you can't think straight. It doesn't matter. Keep going the way you're going and see what happens. It won't end well.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:27 PM
the first stamp is free

^ whoa Spocket - I think there have been one too many air quality advisory days for you over there.

Take a deep breath (indoors). The person you are arguing with actually works at a University.

Whether or not you want to agree with him, doesn't mean he isn't speaking from that reality.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan