HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:05 PM

Run for the Bus! Drives off.

Hi,

Saw this on Sunday. Two mid-30's women running for a bus that is pulling up to a stop on Bow Tr. by Westbrook Mall. The bus waits until they are less than 100 feet away and drives away while they are waving franticly. They were running towards the bus. The driver couldn't miss them.

I thought this only happened to me at C-Train stations.

s.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 5:44 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Spend less time starting unnecessary threads on SSP and more time getting to the C-Train.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:05 PM

A few months ago, I was walking out of my office and saw my bus pull into the stop across the street. I start booking it, and get right up to the bus about 10 feet away, when the driver pulls away. No way he could've not seen me. What made it worse it was raining pretty hard and it was an outdoor stop in an industrial area that doesn't get frequent service.

All of a sudden a little hatchback screeches to a halt beside me, door swings open and i hear a booming voice say "get in, we're gonna catch that asshole!". So I jump into this total stranger's car, and we race ahead to catch up to the next bus station before the bus. I thank the guy, get out just as the bus pulls into the station. Walked onto that bus with the biggest shit eating grin I've ever had.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:16 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

This is why I have never run for the bus... I just know that if I run, I will lose and feel stupid. Also helps that there has always been 2-3 routes that I can take at any stop I've needed to use.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:47 PM

One sunday back in August I was waiting for the #5 on 5th Ave and 7th Street. I had sat at the bench for about 10 minutes, and then saw it coming down the street. I stood up, the bus pulled up to the curb, started to slow down (this was right next to the intersection, which had a red light). The door to the bus was literally right in front of me. The light turned green, and the bus sped away before it could stop.

I stood there dumbfounded for a second, not believing this actually just happened. A couple of people who were waiting to cross 5th Ave even said something about it too. I took off running after it, but would only get a block away before it pulled out from its next stop. I called the complaint line at Calgary Transit after a couple of blocks, and registered my complaint. But then I remembered that there is a time stop (or whatever they are called) for the #5 between 1st Street and Centre, so I started running again. Sure enough I caught the bus (and felt pretty good about myself, despite breathing pretty hard and now being quite sweaty as it was the one nice Sunday we had this summer). I asked the driver why he didn't stop for me, and he had no idea what I was talking about, didn't even see me standing right next to the bench and sign.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:53 PM

I'm pretty sure that making folks run is a perk of the job.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
All of a sudden a little hatchback screeches to a halt beside me, door swings open and i hear a booming voice say "get in, we're gonna catch that asshole!". So I jump into this total stranger's car, and we race ahead to catch up to the next bus station before the bus. I thank the guy, get out just as the bus pulls into the station. Walked onto that bus with the biggest shit eating grin I've ever had.
I had this happen on the way to a Flames game last winter. After running to the bus, and having it pull away as I neared the door, a guy pulled over, asked if I was going to the game (I had my jersey on), and offered me a ride to the arena as he was also going to the game. So, instead of a forty minute bus/train ride, I had a twenty minute ride with a stranger, during which we bitched about the Flames lack of offence.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:54 PM

I make a habit of showing up 30 seconds early for the bus and being pissed if it had the audacity to come 2 minutes early.

I've had many a run for the bus, and often they will stop between stops for you, and several times I've just kept booking it all the way to the next stop (about 4 blocks) and had people waiting for the bus there hold it for me, or the driver is just plain impressed I didn't give up after not making it on my first attempt and they wait up for me. They must really wonder why I don't just get out of bed 2 minutes earlier, I do.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I'm pretty sure that making folks run is a perk of the job.

Good point.

s.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 8:48 PM

Quote:
I want to hug this story.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:07 AM
Home of Hyperchange

1. Try planning your life. That whopping extra minute or two, while it would completely destroy some people's hectic schedules, has pretty much always meant I make my bus.

2. Buses are on schedules. I really hate drivers that sit and wait because people are incapable of leaving the house on time. Guess what, you just delayed 50 people so that you didn't have to wait 10 minutes for the next one. One person delaying the bus doesn't annoy me, but I've seriously seen it done 10+ times in a single trip. And why should the people who showed up on time now have to stand outside even longer just because you couldn't manage a couple of extra minutes in your day?

3. For every anecdote about "damn asshole bus drivers ALWAYS pull away on me", I've witnessed or been part of buses sitting patiently waiting for people. Half the time I KNOW I'm late (and willing to wait for the next one, so I'm walking) but my driver sits anyway and pulls away the second I hop on. Clearly he was waiting for me, even though I wasn't waving and screaming etc.

4. Asbestos suit on. It's way easier to criticize than see the good in people. Plus, this really is a stupid thread.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:23 AM

Aren't drivers discouraged or prohibited from stopping for people running after the bus? For various safety issues, not the least of which is to cut down on people getting hit by cars, etc., as they were running/jaywalking/etc. to flag or catch up to busses. Or is this Vancouver I am thinking of?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:43 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
Aren't drivers discouraged or prohibited from stopping for people running after the bus? For various safety issues, not the least of which is to cut down on people getting hit by cars, etc., as they were running/jaywalking/etc. to flag or catch up to busses. Or is this Vancouver I am thinking of?
Reminds me of a lady who was running after the 3? at the Bow Valley Square stop, the bus took off and she ran across 2 lanes of rushhour traffic and was now banging on the bus door in the middle of 5th avenue, it was pretty bizarre.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Reminds me of a lady who was running after the 3? at the Bow Valley Square stop, the bus took off and she ran across 2 lanes of rushhour traffic and was now banging on the bus door in the middle of 5th avenue, it was pretty bizarre.
Maybe she had to get on the bus before it reached 50 mph.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
2. Buses are on schedules.
Haha, you've clearly never ridden the bus where i live.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 4:44 AM

Quote:
No, it's true, they are on schedules. You can even call 403-974-4000, and it will you give the exact minute that the bus won't be there.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 5:14 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Well, they're supposed to be. 300 delays later and they're not. Holding the bus for yourself is just one of those delays. We can't control the other 299 delays, but it still doesn't excuse it.

Maybe it's the built-in cynic, but I've just always lived with inconsistent bus service and always been ready to wait another few (10-15) minutes for another bus. It's not like you're getting anywhere fast or on time with any bus system anyway...

I must admit, I do laugh at the people who bang on the side of the C-Train, especially during rush hour. Imaging doing that on a real metro system and expecting anything.

Regardless, every bus route I've taken in Calgary (admittedly only a handful) has always been ontime within a 5 minute window, barring massive snowstorms or major traffic accidents. I show up a few minutes before the scheduled time and it always shows up within 5 minutes or so. I find airlines far more delayed but I don't see as many complaints about that. Probably because people just know to show up early and are used to delays.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 5:57 PM
Here and There

Life sure does throw some curveballs doesn't it?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 6:19 PM
Sonoma Strong

never ran for the bus, but i have gotten to my bus stop just a second too late to see my bus pull away (often when im trying to transfer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Hi,

Saw this on Sunday. Two mid-30's women running for a bus that is pulling up to a stop on Bow Tr. by Westbrook Mall. The bus waits until they are less than 100 feet away and drives away while they are waving franticly. They were running towards the bus. The driver couldn't miss them.

I thought this only happened to me at C-Train stations.

s.
most guys if they saw two ladies in their mid 30s would stop for them in a second. maybe the driver was female or already has a gf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Spend less time starting unnecessary threads on SSP and more time getting to the C-Train.
cmon, im lovin the stories in this thread
keep em comin

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 6:44 PM

Hi,

A friend of mine was a driver for Calgary Transit in the mid-90's. She said that it was common for bus drivers to radio in requests for other buses to wait at a stop or station so that her passengers could transfer directly onto the next bus. All you would have to do is ask the driver. I don't know if this policy is still in place.

As for schedules and time table importance...it was a Sunday. I have difficulty understanding why a driver wouldn't wait 15 seconds more for a running passenger on a Sunday.

s.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure