HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
AviationGuy - I too have a love for mid century modern homes. Although this link isn't Houston related, we have a neighborhood here that is a real treasure trove of them in a single location. Enjoy!

http://northcrestmodern.com/
Thanks! I'll take a look. Austin has some, and Houston has a large number of them in areas like Meyerland, Westbury, and most noteworthy, Glenbrook Valley.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 5:23 AM

The 29 story Hanover apartment tower @ BLVD PLace is back on. Ground breaking set for next quarter. 355 high end rental units just off of Post Oak Blvd and San Felipe.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 3:20 PM
Ex Houstonian

29-STORY TOWER TO RISE NEAR GALLERIA
Quote:

A luxury apartment tower is set to break ground early next year just off Post Oak Boulevard, developers said Wednesday.

The project represents the continued progression of BLVD Place, the redevelopment of 21 acres at the southwest corner of Post Oak and San Felipe into an urban-style complex.

Construction started back up at the Galleria-area site last month, three years after the first building opened. BLVD Place was among numerous projects that were delayed or dropped altogether as a result of the economic slowdown.

At completion, the development is expected to include high-end shops and restaurants as well as office space, a boutique hotel and 1,000 high-rise residential units.
http://www.chron.com/business/real-e...ia-3937132.php

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 7:13 PM

Definitely looking forward to this new tower. I like the curved design.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 1:31 AM

The architect's website looks promising. Some really nice, modern towers in places like Chicago and San Fran. Hope we see a break from the trend of Houston condo towers (beige tunnel form)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
The architect's website looks promising. Some really nice, modern towers in places like Chicago and San Fran. Hope we see a break from the trend of Houston condo towers (beige tunnel form)
Couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
What is a tunnel form?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
Ex Houstonian

Monday, October 15, 2012
New Metro Trains Getting Bike Racks

Quote:
Metro is showing off the first of 19 new California-made Siemens H2 S70 trains it’ll be adding to its light-rail fleet. The first new cars in 9 years are updated versions of the line’s original 18-member fleet, with one notable difference: Metro will be outfitting them with 2 bicycle racks each, at the front and rear doorways.
http://swamplot.com/new-metro-trains...ks/2012-10-15/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 4:32 AM
Ex Houstonian

Lots going on in the Woodlands these days. All of these cranes are for the 400 some odd foot new tower going up next to the 439' Anadarko Tower and a 14 some odd story tower going up next door.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 1:48 AM
Ex Houstonian

Big update from this evening.

New development right down the street from me in the heights at studewood and east 11th street.

Site of new highrise (Soverign) at part of the finally getting developed Regents Square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post

The Sovereign is near the new Whole Foods in Montrose.

New school and 1950s building being restored in mid town on West Grey St.

New section of Post Mid Town lofts on West Grey with bottom floor retail.

Another section of post mid town lofts that are almost complete.

The old burnt down church in Freedmans town is now being partially restored and turned into a new park.

The federal building downtown is finally getting new cladding, replacing that crappy brown 1980s granite.

Newly completed light rail tracks. It even looks like it wont be grade separated. It looks like car and trains will be sharing the same lane. Pretty awesome.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 2:03 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Newly completed light rail tracks. It even looks like it wont be grade separated. It looks like car and trains will be sharing the same lane. Pretty awesome.
Just curious, why do you consider this to be a good thing? Normally, I would think this is a bad thing .

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 2:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Why would that be bad? They should never grade separate the tracks. They dont in Europe and in other large American cities. It allows traffic to flow easier and to have more lanes. Buses dont have separated lanes, why should light rail? Light rail is just a bus on a track.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 2:13 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
^
Why would that be bad? They should never grade separate the tracks. They dont in Europe and in other large American cities. It allows traffic to flow easier and to have more lanes. Buses dont have separated lanes, why should light rail? Light rail is just a bus on a track.
But if light rail is just a bus on a track, then why shell out hundreds of millions of dollars for light rail is the bus does everything light rail can do for much less? Grade separation allows for Light Rail to move quicker, becoming a much more viable alternative to cars. Also, Houston has some really interesting ways of differentiating light rail ROW from the street, which makes the lack of any differentiation a little disappointing.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 2:17 AM
Ex Houstonian

Im too tired to respond so just read this.

http://lightrailextension.metrotrans...er-than-buses/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 2:49 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Im too tired to respond so just read this.

http://lightrailextension.metrotrans...er-than-buses/
Alright. I still would prefer grade separation, but I can see the argument being made on the other side. Whatever. It's nice for Houston to be getting rail either way.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 6:27 PM

I would love to live closer to Downton but is too expensive, so me and my bf decided to go to the suburbs

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarinhouston View Post
I would love to live closer to Downton but is too expensive, so me and my bf decided to go to the suburbs
That's one reason why I find it annoying when more-urban-than-thou types sneer at suburbanites.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 7:19 PM
Ex Houstonian

Living in the city is cheap, you just have to do some searching. I pay 620 a month for an 800 square foot apartment in the Heights in an old house, and a nice part of the Heights too. But 620 a month is pretty much unheard of in this part of Houston. I was paying nearly a grand a month for a 420 square foot apartment downtown a couple months ago.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarinhouston View Post
Where did you end up?

I've sort of been interested in Westbury, which is close in although suburban in character, since it was the edge of the city when built 50 or more years ago. But at least the prices are reasonable (for now).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Where did you end up?

I've sort of been interested in Westbury, which is close in although suburban in character, since it was the edge of the city when built 50 or more years ago. But at least the prices are reasonable (for now).
What makes you interested in Westbury, if you don't mind me asking?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations