HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:41 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Ya... now that I think about it you are right, they are scaling back on electronics for the most part, I was only thinking of the one nearest me in Riverview, which expanded its electronics section when they renovated last year. The other two in Moncton shrunk their electronics sections during that process. I'm guessing it has to do with their proximity to other electronics stores like walmart, zellers and future shop which are cheaper and better for the most part. Grocery stores and electronics dont mix well in most cases I guess. who woulda thunk it?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Wow the light under the bridge is effective now?
Great suggestion!!
You should send your recommendation to the Mayor and Council

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleRulez View Post
This is a question for JROCCA:

When is the expectation for shovels to hit the dirt and construction to start on the second half of the harbourfront residences project?

Hopefully this spring.

Are you expecting a shorter timeline now that you have been run through the ringers on the first portion?

The second Cruise Terminal will certainly be a nice addition to this end of water street as well. It must be comforting for the unit owners to know , at least this portion of their views will never be obstructed.
Our focus at the moment is to complete the construction of phase 1 and sell the remaining condos. The market will then need a year to digest the sold condos that will come on the market from investors and others that need to sell because of illness or death that has intervened from the time they purchsed.
Only then can one realistically estimate if there is enough excess demand to start phase 2 right away or whether we need to wait for market demand to catch up.
Given the time frame inolved in developing these projects, I doubt I will be the one developing phase 2.
Phase 1 took 11 years from the first concept we had for that site years before the City called for proposals.When we first dreamed of a project on this site there was no 9/11; no Iraq war, no Afghanistan war, no economic recession, no financial crisis, and google was a scientific term and Itunes,Iphones and Ipads were not words that flowed off your tongue.
I am 64 years old. I no longer have the stamina,time or interest to be doing these difficult, complex and time consuming projects.As the saying goes, "been there,done that".
Like a good soldier, I plan to fade away.I will recalibrate my time to spend more of it with family and friends; work on smaller projects that interest me and do volunteer work.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocca View Post
Like a good soldier, I plan to fade away.I will recalibrate my time to spend more of it with family and friends; work on smaller projects that interest me and do volunteer work.
Just out of personal curiosity, I used to work for Pat at the Citizen, and I've been wondering where and how he is doing? Someone told me he moved to Toronto and invested in the Toronto Star, is that true?

I always liked Pat and would love to know how he's doing?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
Just out of personal curiosity, I used to work for Pat at the Citizen, and I've been wondering where and how he is doing? Someone told me he moved to Toronto and invested in the Toronto Star, is that true?

I always liked Pat and would love to know how he's doing?

Thanks for your interest.
Pat lives in T.O and semi retired a couple of years ago when his wife Joan died of cancer. His three kids also live in T.O. and he has two grandchildren.
He has no financial or other involvement with the Star. He is no longer involved in the real estate industry except when I beg for help.
He was actively involved in the design and marketing of our Harbourfont condos.It was Pat that pushed me and the design team into using stone on the outside of the building rather than the traditional red brick.
He felt the use of red brick was too "safe" and easy.Everybody would like it because it is the traditional building material of Uptown Saint John.
He always felt that designer and developers should take risks and set new directions.
Stone is the principle material used on the historicl buildings on Prince William Street. Yet, in the past 150 years No one in Saint John had thought how stone could be reworked so that it could be as attractive on residential buildings as it is on the historic buildings.For this reason, he felt we should use stone.It would be achallenge and if done right, a legacy and a call to others to work more with stone.
He eventually got us excited about it and as usual, he was right and we were wrong.It is the stone that gives Harbourfront it's unique persona.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 9:05 AM

[QUOTE=JRocca;5557043]Thanks for your interest.
Thanks, JR, I've haven't seen Pat in over 20 years and I doubt if he'd remember me now, but I certainly remember how nice he was to me when I worked at the Citizen, and I'm sorry to hear about Joan.

As far as the brick work goes, I have to agree that it adds a real touch of class to almost any building. Brick work seems to makes a building somehow feel warmer, cozier and more human, and makes for a higher quality feel over all. I must say that I really like the Water Street Condos, but like many here I only wish they could have been taller, oh well, someday, someday.......

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 10:30 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Just found out that the Sisters of Charity convent on Cliff Street and the adjoining chapel are set to be demolished in March. Apparently this is old news but I thought I'd repost just in case it slipped by anyone else.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...s-convent.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...house-506.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 1:12 AM

New Stores for Saint John

Hi All

Happy 2012..

I just was talking to a friend in Saint John and he told me of some things that he was told are supposed to happen and I was wondering if anyone else heard about these:

1) Gap is opening in the old SportsCheck

2) Winners/Home Sense is taking over Walmarts building when they leave

3) Loblaws is planning to take over the Winners/Home Sense building...

Any info would be awesome.. thanks

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilJai View Post
Hi All

Happy 2012..

I just was talking to a friend in Saint John and he told me of some things that he was told are supposed to happen and I was wondering if anyone else heard about these:

1) Gap is opening in the old SportsCheck

2) Winners/Home Sense is taking over Walmarts building when they leave

3) Loblaws is planning to take over the Winners/Home Sense building...

Any info would be awesome.. thanks
Superstore is renovating Rothesay ave location so I doubt they will move in winners location. Walmart too big for a winners home sense anyhow IMO

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Superstore is renovating Rothesay ave location so I doubt they will move in winners location. Walmart too big for a winners home sense anyhow IMO
I agree that the Rothesay Ave. SuperStore wouldn't want to relocate to Winners, but I can see Loblaw's putting in a Dave's NO FRILLS like the one in the Lancaster Mall.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:19 AM

he and I both were wondering if the superstore renovation could be them changing that location to the higher end Loblaws grocery store and putting a small "market type" of store over by the current Walmart.

he also said Winners/Home Sense wants a bigger store and thats why they were looking at the Walmart...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:27 AM

Superstores are also renovating to make room for their new mobile kiosk.. its much like the little mall kiosks where there are actual employees working in the mobile kiosk.. they just did the ones out in BC

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Rumour of the day is that the last day or operation for the Aquarius is going to be someday in February and then they will be closing down. I was under the impression that Wal-Mart had bought the Co-Op property and were looking into the adjoining Aquarius property before they decided on moving into the Zellers location at Lancaster Mall. If that is the case then why is the Aquarius closing if Wal-Mart isn't moving onto the property anymore? Who could be looking into that location on Fairville Boluevard?

Along with this, the corner lot next to the new Lawtons on the corner of Fairville and Catherwood (which has been empty since the Lawtons replaced the old Sobeys) is apparently being looked at by a prospective restaurant. Whether this is fast food or an actual restaurant i'm unsure. Along with this, the Blockbuster location at Lancaster Mall is currently sitting empty, so it will be interesting to see what happens with that.
I was under the impression Smart Centres was buying the Property where the AQ and Co Op and such is..

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
I agree that the Rothesay Ave. SuperStore wouldn't want to relocate to Winners, but I can see Loblaw's putting in a Dave's NO FRILLS like the one in the Lancaster Mall.
No Frills is a franchise offered by loblaws in markets that the superstore does not compete well. I doubt they would open up a franchise opportunity in their east saint John marketplace

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilJai View Post
I was under the impression Smart Centres was buying the Property where the AQ and Co Op and such is..
Plaza Corp purchased the Co-op building. This is confirmed.
There is speculation that Princess Auto will take a section of the strip mall that will be built on this property.

No word on the AQ property but there are rumours.
I hear also that the Simpson building across the street (also owners of the AQ) have sold. This is not confirmed.

Boston Pizza is rumoured for the old optical lot beside Lawton's.
Swiss Chalet is rumoured to be taking the Block buster building in the mall parking lot.
Also, Walmart will expand the Zellers location and take the present MacDonalds location. Haven't heard where MacDonalds will move to if this is true?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Also, Walmart will expand the Zellers location and take the present MacDonalds location. Haven't heard where MacDonalds will move to if this is true?
Perhaps they will put the MacDonalds inside the Wal-Mart?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 1:04 PM

Rumours

I thought the general consensus is that we weren't going to post rumours because they could negatively affect investor strategies, or as we've seen recently, damage peoples' reputations. Although sometimes exciting to hear, rumours are pointless because they are at face value non-factual and often get our hopes up for nothing, unless coming from the source itself. I think that if something is going around is a rumour and that it is somewhat true, the investor might not want people knowing about it because it could influence the decisions of competitors. If they did want everyone to know, then they would likely make it public information themselves.

I do traffic analysis for exciting high-profile developments and I often get to see some pretty neat stuff early on in the planning stages that I know people like you in the city I work in would love to hear about, but I owe it to my clients to keep my lips sealed no matter how much I want to tell people. If I don't say anything, the rumour is never born.

Do I make sense? No more rumours please.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 2:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would think that if there was a complete prohibition against speculation and rumours then interest in this forum might dry up pretty quickly!

I do agree that we should be very cautious about any rumour which is potentially libellous or that could damage a person's business reputation. This is after all a public forum, accessible to all.

Otherwise, rumours are fair game as far as I'm concerned except for one caveat. I personally don't relate any rumour that I am aware of because of my position at work. I don't think that this would be a wise move on anyones part. You have to protect the organization that you are affiliated with.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 2:58 PM

Indeed, I have a lot of inside information through my work as well (including that which relates to questions raised by other users), and as tempting as it is, I never spread any of it on this forum out of respect for clients, friends & any damaging effects that information could have on the economic development of Saint John.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 10:05 PM

I don't think there's an issue with speculating who may be moving in where.

The problem with rumours begins when they involve present developments, especially when they are unsubstantiated negative rumours as Mr. Rocca pointed out.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to be careful when you're posting hearsay about projects that are already on the go or confirmed to be happening. I don't think investor confidence is jeopardized by talking about where Swiss Chalet or Princess Auto or Boston Pizza might build their next location--just don't misrepresent speculation as fact.

Just my two cents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces