HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 5:15 PM
Hammer'd

I think I recall seeing that one. It made me chuckle.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:11 AM

How many of these clowns are there out there?

John Burman
The Hamilton Spectator
(Oct 9, 2008)
Hamilton police have scored another daylight graffiti arrest, bagging a 14-year-old in the act after a city employee spotted him tagging equipment in a park.

But, while police were explaining details of the Tuesday afternoon Waterdown arrest, John Dalziel was on the phone yesterday morning telling them taggers were targeting cops downtown.

Dalziel walked out of his home at Victoria Avenue North at King William Street yesterday and found a graffiti sign about one metre high by six metres long on his wall telling police in no uncertain terms what the "artist" thinks of them.

The sign, it seems, was painted on Dalziel's basement wall and faces King William Street, which police use a lot while coming and going from the central police station.

"It's beyond me why people (paint things) like this," Dalziel said, adding he's seen nothing like it in his 10 years in the house.

"We'll just have to get it painted or something."

The arrest in Waterdown is the latest in a series of graffiti busts where paint or markers have been seized.

Police spokesperson Sergeant Marty Schulenberg said a city employee was driving by Memorial Park in Waterdown about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday and saw a youth spray painting park equipment with the tags Train and Jesc.

He called police. Arriving officers caught the youth in the act. The youth was charged with mischief under $5,000 and released to his parents on a promise to appear in court.

This was the fifth graffiti arrest for mischief in the Hamilton area in the past four weeks.

jburman@thespec.com

905-526-2469

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 12:42 PM

Well one less now. Spray painting "F%#k the cops" on King William will most likely mean a continued momentum on apprehension and more will be caught.

Yea!!!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 1:10 PM
Closed account

Just received the monthly crime report for our area from our neighbourhood association. It included the following report re graffiti. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post the photos of the tagger NONE's work that were included in the report, but there's still lots of interesting graffiti info:

Graffiti update: Tagger KEENUR still remains incarcerated and has a next court appearance of 8 October. A well known adult tagger was recently arrested who tags GNAR. He was also breaching previous conditions and remains in custody. I can not stress the excitement I receive when I see how active members of West Town are in identifying locations. We have one significant arrest under our belts; I would like to try another famous tagger known to me as NONE.

I actually call him No Money as he usually has a money symbol in his tags. Although both tags look nothing alike, they are done by the same person. In the graffiti sub culture most taggers have various versions of the same message.

The tag on the left in big bubble letters would be known as a blocker. A blocker does not allow anyone else to use the wall space. Balloon graffiti usually takes more time than just a tag (on the left). Both spell NONE. The one on the left also makes several references to GOD. NONE has evolved over the summer and is responsible for other graffiti such as $lave, kills cops, and a teardrop with a money symbol in it. You may remember the big pink pig with a police hat on by the vacant Tim Horton’s on Aberdeen and Dundurn. The GPS were kind enough to have that removed before they were disbanded. Please report all sightings of any graffiti that looks like either of these or similar with a forward or backward money sign. I believe him to be a male while, 19 years of age. Any assistance in identifying him would be greatly appreciated.

Graffiti lingo
TAG-a stylized signature usually simple and one color
THROW UP-a more elaborate tag normally using more than one color, but it takes much less time than a piece
PIECES-short for masterpieces, these are large, detailed drawings, sometimes in 3-D or other special effects
BOMBING-to hit many different surfaces with graffiti vandalism
CREW-a group of graffiti vandals
SLASH-to put a line through or graffiti over someone else’s graffiti
BURNER-a very large, elaborate, detailed piece of graffiti
TOY- a junior tagger, or someone new, or not very good. KEENUR was referred to as a toy by many taggers.

Tips to help prevent graffiti vandalism
 Keep your property well maintained
 Keep your property well-lit; vandals fear light
 Eliminate reasons for loitering such as benches, pay phones, etc.
 Plant bushes or fences in areas to impede access to buildings
 Install security cameras and motion sensor lighting
 Limit access to roofs
 Report suspicious activity and encourage neighbours to do the same
 Take pictures or video of all graffiti attacks
Don’t discount graffiti vandalism as a harmless prank. It is a crime, so treat it as one and report it to the police. If someone is caught, we will follow through with an arrest and prosecute!

Be proactive! You are responsible for your property and its upkeep.

Sgt. Jo-Ann Savoie #191
Division One Crime Manager
WEST TOWN
155 King William St.
Hamilton, ON L8N 4C1
Work: (905) 540-5093
e-mail: jsavoie@hamiltonpolice.on.ca

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 1:18 PM

I love the fact they are "remains in custody" and "still remains incarcerated". It looks great on them.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 1:35 PM
Closed account

I love the fact that KEENUR was just a 'toy'.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I love the fact that KEENUR was just a 'toy'.
Well I'm sure he is while in jail

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 3:24 PM
Closed account

The episode that totally digusted me was the one that spray painted the memorial for the fire fighters. When are these kids going to show some respect for a change?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 4:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

Another graffiti arrest

Ted Michaels
10/27/2008

Make it graffiti arrest number 24.

Sunday morning around 7:30, an HSR driver stopped his bus at King and Caroline to get a coffee.

While he was in the store, a 16 year-old decided to spray paint graffiti on the bus.

Passengers noticed this, called police, gave a description and a short time later, the youth was arrested, with blue spray paint on his hand.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 4:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ dumbass of the week.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:25 PM

^^ I'm especially glad the community is getting involved and reporting the incidents. I think that speaks volumes.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
^^ I'm especially glad the community is getting involved and reporting the incidents. I think that speaks volumes.
Yeah definitely. I think that there is a place for graffiti, and it can look awesome in certain applications (someone in my neighbourhood - with their backyard facing limeridge street - had someone graffiti the entire back of their fence and it looks awesome). However, tagging is a whole other issue, and shouldn't be tolerated.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 3:28 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
Yeah definitely. I think that there is a place for graffiti, and it can look awesome in certain applications (someone in my neighbourhood - with their backyard facing limeridge street - had someone graffiti the entire back of their fence and it looks awesome). However, tagging is a whole other issue, and shouldn't be tolerated.
Absolutely. I work at a downtown church that just bought a building downtown and have been renovating it (wheelchair accessibility, updated wiring, paint, etc). Both there and at our previous location there's been a problem with tagging at times - and you gotta get rid of it.

But...... we also had some space downstairs where we thought "You know what would make this so much better?" Yep... getting some good graffiti art inside. So a couple weeks ago, I invited a couple graffiti artists I know to transform the walls. The project is only halfway through being painted, and so far it looks amazing.

One of the artists we invited who didn't end up coming has a backyard shed painted at her house in Burlington.. and it looks great (though who knows if all the neighbours approve.. hehe). (And another one of the artists we had paint knows who the "Keenur" kid is.. and thinks he's an idiot). Its a whole different mindset.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
Absolutely. I work at a downtown church that just bought a building downtown and have been renovating it (wheelchair accessibility, updated wiring, paint, etc). Both there and at our previous location there's been a problem with tagging at times - and you gotta get rid of it.

But...... we also had some space downstairs where we thought "You know what would make this so much better?" Yep... getting some good graffiti art inside. So a couple weeks ago, I invited a couple graffiti artists I know to transform the walls. The project is only halfway through being painted, and so far it looks amazing.

One of the artists we invited who didn't end up coming has a backyard shed painted at her house in Burlington.. and it looks great (though who knows if all the neighbours approve.. hehe). (And another one of the artists we had paint knows who the "Keenur" kid is.. and thinks he's an idiot). Its a whole different mindset.
Yeah definitely...there is graffiti as an art; and then there are idiots that go around writing their 'names' on stuff...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 4:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Another grafitti arrest
Ted Michaels
10/29/2008

Talk about getting caught "red-handed!"

Hamilton Police have made their 26th grafitti arrest since August 1.

Last night around 9 o'clock, police got a call about someone spray-painting a shed at Shamrock Park, in the Hunter/Walnut area.

When they arrived, they found a 20 year-old man with red paint on his gloves, more paint nearby and some bolt cutters.

Charged with mischief under 5-thousand and possessing burglary tools is Devin Erwin of Hamilton.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 6:03 PM

Has anybody else noticed that a lot of the notices in the paper for grafitti arrest are not for punk teenagers but for so called 'adults"?

Are underage arrests just not reported in the paper or are most taggers actualy in their 20's?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
Has anybody else noticed that a lot of the notices in the paper for grafitti arrest are not for punk teenagers but for so called 'adults"?

Are underage arrests just not reported in the paper or are most taggers actualy in their 20's?
There have been a few reported in the Spec who were underage, they left the names out. I think 'keenur' was underage for what they picked him up for, only recently having turned 18.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 7:25 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post

Probaby.. a lot of things blamed on teens or thought to be a "teen issue" are really done by "so called adults."

Graffiti is definitely more of a youth-culture item though. Then again, in North America everyone's a teenager into their 30's, right?

Anyways.. it wouldn't surprise me I know tagging's an entirely different matter (kind of the scrawny kid brother who's never quite as cool as Jimmy, the artist of the family, got to be), but when you get into those who do elaborate, artistic graffiti pieces, it is a lot of the 20-30 age range.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 7:56 PM

Realizing that some of the arrests have been multiples at one time, 26 since August 1st is an average of one arrest every 3.42 days.

With all this enforcement, I'm guessing we are going to see a reduction in graffiti in Hamilton. And I'm going to guess that neighbouring areas will probably see an uptick.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 2:10 AM

It makes sense that taggers are at least of driving age given Hamilton's infrastructure - or lack thereof

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion