HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:21 PM

Everyone I know quickly says 'uh that's what it will look like?' or 'that looks like an uncircumsized penis' when they see what it will turn out to be.

How feasible would it be to get Benioff to re-design the crown and maybe put a spire? Honestly the crown looks horrible and lazy. Pelli has become my least favorite architect thanks to this tower.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 8:42 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Mark Benioff is the CEO of Salesforce, the tower's largest tenant; he is not an owner or the developer. The crown is obviously being constructed now so it isn't feasible to change it and it will be what we get, as has been extensively discussed in this thread for a long time.

Pelli is really your least favorite architect? Try researching to see who designed some of the truly ugly buildings here and elsewhere. In the meantime, here's a shot of Pelli's Gran Torre Santiago that I recently took in Chile. At 984', it is Latin America's tallest building.

[IMG]Gran Torre Santiago by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Mark Benioff is the CEO of Salesforce, the tower's largest tenant; he is not an owner or the developer. The crown is obviously being constructed now so it isn't feasible to change it and it will be what we get, as has been extensively discussed in this thread for a long time.

Pelli is really your least favorite architect? Try researching to see who designed some of the truly ugly buildings here and elsewhere. In the meantime, here's a shot of Pelli's Gran Torre Santiago that I recently took in Chile. At 984', it is Latin America's tallest building.

[IMG]Gran Torre Santiago by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]
Yeah he basically took a shittier version of that building and put it here. If we got that Santiago building, then I'd be ecstatic. The Salesforce Tower design is humiliating for the entire city. I guarantee you it will be the butt of jokes for decades to come. 'Oh haha San Francisco put up a giant penis shaped building!'

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by don116 View Post
Yeah he basically took a shittier version of that building and put it here. If we got that Santiago building, then I'd be ecstatic. The Salesforce Tower design is humiliating for the entire city. I guarantee you it will be the butt of jokes for decades to come. 'Oh haha San Francisco put up a giant penis shaped building!'
It's just a fucking building. Of all things for SF to be embarrassed about a phallic looking building seems pretty low on the list.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
It's just a fucking building. Of all things for SF to be embarrassed about a phallic looking building seems pretty low on the list.
Its not 'just a fucking building'. Its by far the tallest tower in San Francisco, visible from multiple towns in the Bay Area. Would have been cool if it wasn't an uncircumsized penis.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Its not 'just a fucking building'.
Actually it is.

And who cares about what some suburban chumps think it looks like? If it was up to me we'd erect a giant middle finger pointed directly at the NIMBYs in Marin.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 10:22 PM
BANNED

Also I strongly rebuff your inflammatory remarks against uncircumcised penises.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 10:27 PM

I believe it is possible to add or retrofit a spire without changing much of the design of the crown as we know it; but now that I think of it, Salesforce Tower wouldn't be as much a Pelli obelisk it had one. Spires are not typical of their work, and may distract from the obelisk effect they appear to intend.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 10:36 PM
Surrounded by Nature

I agree and disagree with much of what was said. Yes, it is now the most prominent building in San Francisco. No, it is not ugly. I'm happy with it, am fortunate enough to have an approximately 240 degree sweeping view, can look directly at Salesforce Tower and 181 Fremont (which I really like), and feel my view has been substantially enhanced by their presence. Having seen both of them, I think our version is more dramatic than the one in Santiago.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 10:49 PM

I am certain there will be many nice photographs of Salesforce Tower posted on this thread once it is completed. We shall see how happy we are with the new San Francisco skyline then. I strongly believe I will be. It is looking great so far.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 10:56 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
I am certain there will be many nice photographs of Salesforce Tower posted on this thread once it is completed. We shall see how happy we are with the new San Francisco skyline then. I strongly believe I will be. It is looking great so far.
I agree. The late afternoon/early evening muted winter light on the skinned part has been dramatically beautiful when viewed from the west. I also love the metal work, which is one reason I like it better than the tower in Santiago.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Its not 'just a fucking building'. Its by far the tallest tower in San Francisco, visible from multiple towns in the Bay Area. Would have been cool if it wasn't an uncircumsized penis.
OMG give it a fuking rest. You don't like the tower, we get that. Too bad for you because they are not going to tear it down or change the design. And as hard as it might be for you to comprehend some of us actually like the design. The fact that you can't stop seeing a giant dik seems like a personal problem (or so it seems to be a problem for you.) Maybe you should bring that up with your therapist rather than on this site? When I see the tower that is not what automatically comes to mind.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
Spires are not typical of their work
Not really:

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 11:10 PM
BANNED

^omg 2 penises! Eeek!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 11:56 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Not to get further off topic, though they are one of César Pelli's most famous designs...I have been there also. The spires were added as an additional Islamic architectural aspect.

[IMG]Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
A phallic building? Dude, have you even been to the Castro?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:13 AM

I've tried over and over again to like this building. I actually do like the details along the curtain wall. But hearing over and over again from multiple people who have no stake in architecture, skyscrapers, or San Francisco that it looks ridiculous and phallic is a bad sign from my standpoint.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I've tried over and over again to like this building. I actually do like the details along the curtain wall. But hearing over and over again from multiple people who have no stake in architecture, skyscrapers, or San Francisco that it looks ridiculous and phallic is a bad sign from my standpoint.
What stake do you have in this building? Did you personally invest in it?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
How feasible would it be to get Benioff to re-design the crown and maybe put a spire? Honestly the crown looks horrible and lazy. Pelli has become my least favorite architect thanks to this tower.
Here's the guy you want to call:

Mort Zuckerman (Executive Chairman, Boston Properties)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mort...3u7cIvmdQSb6M:

Boston Properties is the lead developer now having bought most of the project (but not quite all) from Hines.

Zuckerman also publishes the New York Daily News and US News & World report so you could contact him at the News.

Mort talking Salesforce:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Not to get further off topic, though they are one of César Pelli's most famous designs...I have been there (Petronas Tower) also.
I've always thought it looked like a pair of corncobs. I like Salesforce and the Chilean tower much better. And by the way, compared to several of the supertalls going up in NYC right now or even the former WTC, much better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture