HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:29 PM
retro_orange

Bright lights, big city: Vancouver looks to change its sign bylaws

Bright lights, big city: Vancouver looks to change its sign bylaws

The city is looking for public feedback on business signs in an online survey

By Roshini Nair, CBC News Posted: Aug 23, 2016 5:00 PM PT Last Updated: Aug 24, 2016 7:10 AM PT

Civic historian John Atkin says the vertically placed signage on Granville gives Vancouver its distinctive night district. (Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association/YouTube)

There are few things more iconic to Vancouver's urban identity than its street signs — like the Orpheum Theatre on Granville Street or the Save-on-Meats sign on Hastings Street.

Save on Meats

The iconic Save-On-Meats sign on Hastings Street in Vancouver. (Ben Cappellacci/Flickr)

Now, the city is looking to make some big changes to its sign bylaws — the first major update since 1989 — and it's looking for your help through an online survey.

Randy Pecarski, the assistant director of planning, says one reason for the update is that the current bylaws are too inflexible and don't reflect advances in technology.

"It doesn't allow certain kinds of signs to apply to the city, like digital signs. There's a huge interest in doing that from the community and from industry, so we need to make provisions for that."

A colourful history of street signs

Civic historian John Atkin is excited by the prospect of a new sign bylaw.

Atkin has studied the history of signs, particularly on Granville Street, which was once known as "The Great White Way" because of the neon signs decorating every possible space.

People came to Vancouver just to drive down the brightly lit thoroughfare, he says, and at one point the city had one of the highest concentrations of neon signage in the world.

Vancouver Granville Street 1965

Granville Street in 1965 was affectionately dubbed the "Great White Way" due to the high concentration of neon signs. (George Weinhaupl)

But Atkin says that changed in the 1970s, when the city pushed back against the gritty, industrial look and adopted a more green, natural aesthetic.

"We went through the 1974 bylaw that outlawed everything from projecting signs, twirling signs, signs above the roofline, etc."

It wasn't until 2000 that the city started re-evaluating its bylaws to revitalize the street.

"They rewrote the sign bylaw for Granville Street, and you see the results today. At nighttime, this is a very active, busy and lively street."

That's not to say Atkin would like to see every street look like Granville.

"I think this is an opportunity to bring back some interesting stuff in retail areas where somebody might want to put out a projecting sign and put a sign above the roof and have it spin."

More signs, more problems?

Not everyone is on board for more bright lights, however.

In May, for example, the city banned a floating billboard company from displaying its electronic advertisements in False Creek after residents complained it was "crass".

Burke Billboards
A promotional illustration on the Burke Billboards website shows a now-banned floating billboard on a boat in Vancouver's False Creek, in front of Science World. (Burke Billboards)

Atkin says he knows people tend to react to signs with less enthusiasm than he does but says there's a powerful relationship between signage, successful streets and a vibrant city.

"We are a city that has more cloudy days than any other place in North America. We are a place that has long nighttimes ... The opportunity to create great signs that then throw that light onto the street — that gives us a much, much better city."

With files from Margaret Gallagher

Article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...laws-1.3732818

Last edited by retro_orange; Aug 24, 2016 at 11:36 PM. Reason: add article link

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:34 PM
retro_orange

Survey link

Updates are coming for the Sign Bylaw page:
http://vancouver.ca/your-government/...aw-update.aspx

Quote:
City of Vancouver Sign By-Law Review

The City of Vancouver is updating its Sign By-Law! People may not think about signs every day, but they’re with us almost everywhere we go.

We’d like your thoughts on the different types of signs you see in Vancouver, how you think they should be regulated and some new sign types being considered. Please share your thoughts with us and help shape the look and feel of our city!

Your responses will:

--help us draft the regulations for the new Sign By-law which will be reported to Council in late 2016

​--provide preliminary feedback on how Vancouverites feel about advertising signs in the city (this will help inform a broader review on advertising and signage that will be launched later this year)

By participating, you can also enter to win a set of passes to Museum of Vancouver's exhibit "Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver"! See, contest rules here.
Survey link:
https://www.talkvancouver.com/S.aspx...J&fromdetect=1

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the link.

For anyone who has ever complained about the city's overly strict laws on signage and lighting, now is the time to speak up!

Here is the link:

Take the survey because you know there will be many people out there asking the city the turn the lights out all together...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:53 PM

Filled out the survey. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:11 AM

Lightbulb Some streets need brightening up, too

Although this thread deals with advertising lighting, I would like to add that I think parts of Vancouver are "doom and gloom city."
I'd like to see some streets with more intense and diversified lighting, particularly in the downtown and West End.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:12 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Thanks for the link.

For anyone who has ever complained about the city's overly strict laws on signage and lighting, now is the time to speak up!

Here is the link:

Take the survey because you know there will be many people out there asking the city the turn the lights out all together...
Yeah I for one think it would be great to see amazing Neon and new technology signage in this city again. I think the signage standards that are on the Granville strip should be on all major thoroughfares such as *Hastings, Burrard, Georgia, *Davie, Robson and outside of downtown on *Kingsway, *Main, and Broadway etc.

*=No brainer

With proper cowling and light distribution standards and guidelines on the signs; it will help prevent the light pollution issue too. I personally HATE back-lit fluorescent box signs and those awful illuminated awnings that were so popular in the 80's and 90's, IMO they look worse when un-maintained in comparison to Neon.

There used to be a huge neon totem pole Coca Cola sign on a building downtown; I believe it was where part of the PC mall is now. I'd love to see that again! (However I'm fine with still limiting large billboard space)

Last edited by retro_orange; Aug 25, 2016 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Although this thread deals with advertising lighting, I would like to add that I think parts of Vancouver are "doom and gloom city."
I'd like to see some streets with more intense and diversified lighting, particularly in the downtown and West End.
Fill out the survey and add that as a comment.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Thanks for the link.

Here is the link:

Agree. Everyone should fill this out

As I was filling it out i was just imagining all the anti everything people opposing everything on that survey. We can't let those people have the only voice lol

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:35 AM

Survey completed.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:28 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Survey completed. Asked to reduce distance from residential units downtown.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:44 AM
See ya down under, mates

Just in time for Trump!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:50 AM

A city of regression.... feeling the heat now because the suburbs are becoming brighter and more exciting. Vancouver exists in its past glories, and a little less.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:31 AM

filled out the survey. We need our own Dundas Square/ Times Square.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I filled out the survey.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas View Post
filled out the survey. We need our own Dundas Square/ Times Square.
Where would you locate it? I don't think Burrard, Howe, or Georgia would be good. Somewhere on Granville? Interesting idea ... just hope it doesn't turn into needle park.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Atkin has studied the history of signs, particularly on Granville Street, which was once known as "The Great White Way" because of the neon signs decorating every possible space.
Umm, isn't the Great White Way actually Broadway in NYC?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Where would you locate it? I don't think Burrard, Howe, or Georgia would be good. Somewhere on Granville? Interesting idea ... just hope it doesn't turn into needle park.
If this were to ever happen, I suppose you're right, the city would install digital billboard screens above Granville St. as we don't have a public square to suffice the kind of effect Times Square emanates.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:09 PM

Completed, hopefully we take a step in the right direction in terms of signage. It definitely is a large part of the urban landscape and an excellent revenue generator for a wide array of groups and services.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy