HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Heck, they only need about 8% of the metro's population to show up each home game.
And anyone that says that's enough is either joking (I hope), or has absolutely no idea about the business of pro sports.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:16 PM
Editor

Highly unlikely it'll ever happen.....I'm tempted to say "ain't never going to happen", but look at Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:46 PM
Vancouver Moderator

The city is a bit small...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:59 PM
Dont let the name fool u

I don't think Saskatoon would be a place I'd look to put a NHL team, but I think you'll see the NHL look to put more teams in Canada. They're finally realizing that a market of say 500 000 where everybody cares about hockey and have the disposable income is far likelier to succeed than a market of 5 million people where nobody cares and people can't even afford their homes.

I think Quebec City will be next in line though.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:43 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

There's also the fact that the only team most likely to move Phoenix, has three potentional buyers who have the intent of staying in Glendale, or in one of the buyers cases, move the team to Seattle.

I think the most likely chance Saskatoon or any Canadian city will get an NHL team is through expansion, which I think will likely happen, as many Canadian cities can support an NHL team and will bring in more revenue for the NHL.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:49 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Well, keep in mind that I think that this will be similar in situation to the Saskatchewan Roughriders, as in the team will attract people from all over the province. When that is considered, there's a good chance it'll be very successful, as Hamilton and Quebec City will have to rely on getting people from they're respective regions, not the province.
The metros of both Hamilton and QC are 3/4 the population of Saskatchewan, the region around QC (2 hours drive) is well over 1.3 million and Hamilton's is nearly 7 million... over 8 if you include the Buffalo CSA.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 1:07 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I can't see Saskatoon supporting an NHL team anytime soon. Although if everybody is onboard with it, then it could happen sooner than later.

Although I personally think the AHL would make better sense first. Build a team based in Saskatchewan, via expansion of the AHL, which would be contingent of any expansion within the NHL first, and farm some players to any potential markets that the NHL should get into or return to (Quebec, Hamilton, or even Seattle). Later on, if things do go well, then for sure the NHL can play in Saskatchewan.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 2:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
There's also the fact that the only team most likely to move Phoenix, has three potentional buyers who have the intent of staying in Glendale, or in one of the buyers cases, move the team to Seattle.

We don't know how serious these three potential buyers are, however. This is not the first time that someone has kicked the Coyotes' tires. Mr. Bettman likes to allude to potential buyers for his troubled clubs all the time - it helps maintain their market value I guess.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Wouldn't the AHL make a lot more sense?
Ahl does not do well in Canada people like the nhl or chl thats about it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:11 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Ahl does not do well in Canada people like the nhl or chl thats about it.
You're right. Nobody went to Moose games; that's probably what helped bring the Jets back.

And it's not like I have to buy IceCaps tickets a month in advance to get three seats side-by-side. Oh wait, no, that's exactly what I have to do.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
You're right. Nobody went to Moose games; that's probably what helped bring the Jets back.

And it's not like I have to buy IceCaps tickets a month in advance to get three seats side-by-side. Oh wait, no, that's exactly what I have to do.
There was no major jr team in Winnipeg that might be why they did so well if you look at most ahl teams now and in the past they have no done well.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:57 AM

The question should not be whether or not Saskatchewan could support a team ~ of course they could! Saskatoon has a population of 250,000, 99.9% of whom are hockey mad. Include the same numbers from Regina, just down the highway, and you've got more than enough support. I would wager a bet that Saskatoon has twice as many hockey fans as NYC. Madison Square Garden sells out every night through sheer force of numbers alone ~ the whole of Manhattan probably has only slightly more than 20,000 hockey fans. The same can be said for most NHL markets in the States.

Let's not forget that Saskatoon almost got a team in 1983 and we'll likely see it again as various teams go bankrupt / look to relocate: Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, Carolina, New Jersey and so on. Quebec is probably a sure thing. KC and Seattle are likely in line for a team as well. Las Vegas...whatever. Hamilton has its territorial issues with Toronto and Buffalo. Regardless, more teams are coming to Canada one way or another.

I think a lot of people are watching Winnipeg with great interest. If the Jets are able to turn a little profit with their 'small' market and small arena, then it'll be proof that a place like Saskatoon could do it, too.

p.s. The AHL would fail in Saskatoon just as it has in essentially every other Canadian market. In hockey 'mad' Southern Ontario, nobody supports the AHL. It's not a good indication of whether or not a city could support an NHL franchise.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Mar 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:19 AM

There are quite a few cities in line a head of Saskatoon that would make far more sense, so I can't see this happening for awhile.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:51 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Saskatoon has a population of 250,000, 99.9% of whom are hockey mad.
I know this is hyperbole, but no Canadian city is that hockey mad. When I was working in Saskatoon, there was an article in the Star-Phoenix about the relative lack of interest in the Blades (which were a top team at the time) compared with other WHL cities. The opinion of the author was that Saskatoon is less of a sports (in general) city that Regina.

Quote:
Include the same numbers from Regina, just down the highway, and you've got more than enough support.
The CFL can draw regional fanbases; the NFL can draw regional fanbases; the NHL, NBA, and MLB probably cannot draw fans from such wide areas. There are simply too many home games, and too many weekday games for (enough) people to take several hours, or even entire days out of their routines. Besides, I'm pretty sure I saw some figures last year that showed that the majority of Rider attendance was from Regina (at least much more than is widely believed). Hwy 11 would not fill up with thousands, or even hundreds of fans 41 times a year from Regina to attend an 8:00pm Tuesday night hockey game in Saskatoon.

Ohio has 12 million people, and hockey is actually quite popular there (see Cleveland leading the AHL in attendance), but the Jackets' market is not 12 million, it's probably closer to 2 million. The market for a Saskatoon NHL team would not be 1 million, it would probably be closer to a third of that.

Quote:
I would wager a bet that Saskatoon has twice as many hockey fans as NYC. Madison Square Garden sells out every night through sheer force of numbers alone ~ the whole of Manhattan probably has only slightly more than 20,000 hockey fans.
If the Rangers won the cup, I would bet there would be between one and three million fans in the streets for the parade. Sure, many of them may not attend regular season games, but to say that a city of 250k has more fans than one of 20 (or 8) million is a bit of an overstatement.

Quote:
Let's not forget that Saskatoon almost got a team in 1983 and we'll likely see it again as various teams go bankrupt / look to relocate: Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, Carolina, New Jersey and so on.
It's quite likely that only one of these teams will be moving anytime soon. Columbus and Nashville have built decent fanbases (especially considering how awful the former has been for the majority of its lifetime), the Isles are looking to get a new building that would likely rejuvenate the franchise. Raleigh and Newark will never top the attendance lists, but their teams draw better than in Atlanta or Phoenix. Dallas is puzzling, but a few solid seasons and fans should come back. I don't know about Florida. To say that all of these teams have a chance of moving is simultaneously overly optimistic and pessimistic...

Quote:
Quebec is probably a sure thing. KC and Seattle are likely in line for a team as well. Las Vegas...whatever.
...and then you throw KC and LV into the mix? Seattle will get a team, yes. Maybe KC will as well, but it probably wouldn't do any better or worse than the ones you listed above.

Quote:
If the Jets are able to turn a little profit with their 'small' market and small arena, then it'll be proof that a place like Saskatoon could do it, too.
No, it will be proof that a Canadian city of 750k can support an NHL franchise. Good news for Quebec and Hamilton, likely a non-factor when considering a move to Saskatoon.

Quote:
p.s. The AHL would fail in Saskatoon just as it has in essentially every other Canadian market. In hockey 'mad' Southern Ontario, nobody supports the AHL. It's not a good indication of whether or not a city could support an NHL franchise.
Southern Ontario tends to like the big leagues (see the whole NFL thing), and the AHL teams there are close to the Leafs and Sabres. Saskatoon is what, 7 hours from the nearest NHL team? The AHL would do better in markets that are farther away from NHL cities (see the IceCaps and Moose vs. the Heat, Bulldogs, and Marlies).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:27 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Why is there an assumption that people from Regina will automatically follow an NHL team in Saskatoon?

I follow the NHL and its happenings probably more than 99% of the rest of the world and given my interest and passion for the league - I'm not just going to commit to the team in what is Regina's 'rival' city. Even if a team came to Regina, I would have trouble balancing the home team with my adopted team (Canucks). Definitely would not become an avid fan of a team in Saskatoon and not sure a lot of other hardcore hockey fans in Regina would either.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I know this is hyperbole, but no Canadian city is that hockey mad. When I was working in Saskatoon, there was an article in the Star-Phoenix about the relative lack of interest in the Blades (which were a top team at the time) compared with other WHL cities. The opinion of the author was that Saskatoon is less of a sports (in general) city that Regina.
I would agree with that observation.

I remember the World Juniors in Saskatoon - 2 years ago now? Picked up tickets to Team Canada games the morning of - and come game time there were large pockets of empty seats in the upper bowl. Gold medal game (with Canada involved) wasn't sold out the day before either.

It just seemed strange to me... tickets weren't that expensive.

NHL could be different - but the World Juniors are huge in Canada. It just seemed strange.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 2:01 PM

@Ayreonaut

I admit to being a little high when I wrote that but I'm not so sure I deserved the bitch-slapping you gave me.

Bottom line: More teams will be relocating in the coming years and Saskatoon shouldn't be discounted outright.

BTW Columbus does not have strong fan support and the franchise is hemorrhaging money like nobody's business. I reckon they'll be auctioned off to the highest bidder sooner rather than later; relocation might be a different story however.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:41 PM

Yeah i agree with CCF. I dont see why saskatoon just autoumatically thinks that it has rights to get a NhL team before regina. i support the leafs, im def not going to switch and support a saskatoon team even tho they are from Sk. To me regina is the more likely choice, due to the fact that we have proven support here for the riders no matter what state there in. Regina is in the works of a new stadium also, et. I just dont no of any major comapnys or individuals that have the $$$ to bring them here. Plus i would wantthe team to be localy owned, not by some business guy from tornoto???

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:58 PM

As a Regina man I'd be dropping my support for the Jets in a heartbeat and joining the Saskatoon NHL bandwagon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:07 PM

I don't think there ever was a city smaller then Hartford (was) or Winnipeg in the modern NHL..Not doubting the fans, because Saskatchewan would have the greatest fans, but I can't fore-see a Saskatchewan team making it. 8% of the entire population of the city to get up for 42 games a year is a lot to take on. If Regina was closer, and they built an arena half-way, that may work but it's still over 2.5 hours apart centre to centre.
With over a million to draw from, even cities like Calgary,Edmonton,Buffalo, and Ottawa are considered small markets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada