HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 5:24 AM
TL;DR

^ Oh yeah, didn't see that note for a future sewer line on the O'Keefe garage. Definitely prepping for a retail buildout in the future. Still, this design is really fugly...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Oh yeah, didn't see that note for a future sewer line on the O'Keefe garage. Definitely prepping for a retail buildout in the future. Still, this design is really fugly...
Im not sure what the ultimate look will be after staff suggestions but the building isnt horrible. Sure it wont win any awards but at least at street level it will be nice enough. Plus the building will be mostly hidden anyways. Hope the end design has some improvements but at least the parking lot is going away.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:44 PM

This area is ripe for a South Market-style development, with even greater proximity to the theaters, French Quarter, and a lot of office space. There's already a lot of apartment activity around the Saratoga, etc. but everything between the Holiday Inn and Poydras is pretty much a wasteland. I hope this garage plus the hotel rebranding helps to catalyze some new construction.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 5:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
This area is ripe for a South Market-style development, with even greater proximity to the theaters, French Quarter, and a lot of office space. There's already a lot of apartment activity around the Saratoga, etc. but everything between the Holiday Inn and Poydras is pretty much a wasteland. I hope this garage plus the hotel rebranding helps to catalyze some new construction.
I think it will... Certainly will help with the activity. As this first wave of building conversions comes to a close, I think the next phase will logically move to new construction as the older building stock disappears. City still has two things it must do to really help this particular area (NoLo and CBD) It needs to build a central transit hub and reconfigure Duncan Plaza.

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 6:11 PM

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...l#incart_river

Article on Charity. Says will be soliciting development proposals early next year.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 6:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...l#incart_river

Article on Charity. Says will be soliciting development proposals early next year.
Awesome to hear. Curious who will have interest in it.. Its a very unique structure. Will require a very creative proposal.

Back to South Market. Looks like they are already submitting the plans for the building following the Beacon.

Heres where the building will be.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Back to South Market. Looks like they are already submitting the plans for the building following the Beacon.

Heres where the building will be.

Here's a link to the Beacon phase II plan. I like it a lot. It has ground floor retail on all sides, and a 15-floor tower. Also, they are requesting to tear down the mid-19th century building WDSU uses (the Dat Shack). I wish the building could be moved instead, either to one of the vacant lots in the FQ along N Rampart, or even to the spot where the 19th century home recently collapsed on Royal Street. There's a finite number of these buildings and plenty of historic neighborhoods with open gaps - at the very least put it up for sale for a dollar but the buyer has to move it.

http://onestopapp.nola.gov/Downloads...31986896800282

http://onestopapp.nola.gov/Downloads...31986790408095

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 8:46 PM

Looks great. I agree that it would be nice to save the structure currently on that lot, but I also don't want it to hold up construction on this phase of the SMD. Looking forward to seeing some tower crane action.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:30 PM

Stonefree to Join The Paramount

Quote:
Stonefree, a new boutique concept from owner Megan Koch, will bring designer style and a bohemian aesthetic to The Paramount at South Market early next year! Stonefree will carry an eclectic mix of women’s apparel, jewelry and accessories, as well as a curated selection of home goods.
http://paramountnola.com/2014/12/03/...the-paramount/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 3:04 PM

2013 Census Figures

2013 ACS 5-year estimates were posted this morning. Quick look for City of New Orleans over 2012:

- Total population growth of 15,606, 4.4%.
- Increase of 4,547 Households, largest share householder living alone
- Average household size creeped up slightly (more people moving in together as rents rise)
- 40% of new arrivals have a bachelor's degree or more
- 90% of new arrivals from another state

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:31 PM

1031 Canal

Does anyone have any updates from the project at 1031 Canal? Last I heard they began demolition in October, but I haven't been around or seen anything recently.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:42 PM

1031 Canal

the demo is going at a snails pace - they have one old crane picking away at it

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 6:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
the demo is going at a snails pace - they have one old crane picking away at it
Yeah because their permit for new construction is still in application phase. I know these are complicated buildings but it seems like the architect for this project has a new issue to address with the city every week. Last letter was dated november 18, 2014. So no rush to demolish until the architect gets everything right with the city. Seems amateur though.

Also Im sure the asbestos in that thing is immense.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 4:51 AM

Garden District neighbors question next chain pharmacy with eyes on Magazine Street

No love for proposed CVS at Magazine and Louisiana Ave.

Quote:
Magazine Street touts itself as “one of New Orleans’ premier shopping and entertainment districts,” so when developers presented a plan this week to convert a vacant Blockbuster Video at the edge of the Garden District into a new CVS pharmacy, they can hardly have been surprised by the lackluster reaction from residents.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2014/12/g...gazine-street/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yeah because their permit for new construction is still in application phase. I know these are complicated buildings but it seems like the architect for this project has a new issue to address with the city every week. Last letter was dated november 18, 2014. So no rush to demolish until the architect gets everything right with the city. Seems amateur though.

Also Im sure the asbestos in that thing is immense.
Does anyone know what is the story behind removing the two swimming pools from the building plans? 1031_Canal_-_Revised_to_remove_Pool_13-43016-NEWC.pdf. They really advertised the pools initially and now they're deleted? Or am I misunderstanding this document? Is it the economics? The city? The hassle? Do people not want buildings with a pool? Personally I'd love to live in a building with a pool, it's something different and interesting to do. If they're gone, it's a little strange and disappointing - but I'm not their accountant or marketer so there might be good reasons.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 2:37 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
No love for proposed CVS at Magazine and Louisiana Ave.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2014/12/g...gazine-street/
Ugly! Knock that s**t down and build on the entire lot, apartments on top of the drug store. They could make a mint renting apartments there. What's it going to take to change the development paradigm of these drugstores in NOLA?

And what's with all the alcohol restrictions in NOLA nowadays? No one loiters or drinks singles in front of a drug store (especially in that neighborhood)... buncha busy bodies. The "there's another drug store 3/5 blocks away" crowd doesn't sound like they understand walkable nhoods, either.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:26 PM

What's a little silly about it is that it's not replacing a local bookstore or something. It's replacing a Blockbuster, a Subway, and a Chinese restaurant.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:41 PM
life is good

Lol, on point

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 12:34 AM
TL;DR

I agree, although those renovations just look super tacky. Right now it's a simple box with a pretty nice variety of brick. Leave well enough alone...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 10:45 PM

Old Earl May building

Live out of state, so I haven't found much online about this.

What is in the old Earl May building at Carrolton and Bienville in Mid City?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations