HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:39 AM
Transit Nerd

The not-so-great Canadian Thread about having to see Joseph Kony all over my Facebook

Am I the only one here?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:42 AM
Look at me!

Just shared it on mine.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:47 AM

The Kony campaign is a huge SCAM!

2.5 Billion Liters of Oil in Uganda. If Kony has been at it for the past 8 years why only now during 2012 has a US "non-profit*" decided to go after him? My guess would be it's a perfect time for the debt-choked US to get some free oil. It's also the perfect time for the feds to interfere with Chinese business ventures in Africa. Moreover, the entire fabricated cause would be brought up by the lamestream media in debates and news columns to make Ron Paul appear heartless for not wanting to infringe on other nations soverignty with military intervention. More propoganda for the big bankers and military industrial complex to re-elect/elect puppet Obama, Gingrich, Romney or Santorum. Just read between the lines people! If this isn't the NWO at work I don't know what is!

*30% of donations make it to the cause

Infowars.com should be all over it by tommorow.

Hopefully theres a way to support an alternate organization/volunteer militia to stop this sicko (assuming the bait story is real)

It's sick they'd use these childrens' hellish lives to push their propoganda. Sick world we live in. Makes me seriously question even having kids of my own.

[/rant over and out]

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Mar 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:12 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Not exactly a scam, but does raise huge questions about the legitimacy of the agency behind it.

The key was raising awareness, and Invisible Children did a hell of a good job doing that.

Yes, Kony is a monster and must be brought to justice, but there are also a lot of people like him everywhere else.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:21 PM

It was only a couple of years ago that IC was arguing for a full scale US invasion of Uganda. Now they're only arguing for pumping hundreds of millions into the Ugandan army.

Its funny, the same people who were foaming at the mouth over Iraq are the ones calling for war now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:29 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Not to say that getting rid of Kony isn't a worthwhile cause, but he probably wouldn't crack the top ten in the Big List of Awful People Doing Awful Things.

The regime in North Korea, Bashir in Sudan, Assad in Syria. Hell, look at what the cartels are doing to Mexico!

This whole things just feels so phoney. A whole bunch of people who have no idea how complex problems like these can be are going to save the whole world by putting up posters and putting together inspiring movies.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:15 PM

There are a number of other charities that are involved with rehabilitating child soldiers and helping their families - ones that aren't so dismally regarded by watchdog groups like Charity Navigator.

If you want to do the right thing, take your money and give it to those ones instead of to Invisible Children.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:41 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

If you want your head to explode, look up how much of Livestrong money goes to cancer research.

"Awareness" is what charities DO. If you don't like that, don't contribute to charities.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 8:27 PM
Hammer'd

I've only really been annoyed by the comparisons to Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, Stalin, etc. that I've been seeing. Pretty ignorant.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 9:30 PM
User Registered

I just love what people can do with this story.

Example:

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:05 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 1:09 AM
I am a typical

People will forget in two weeks.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 1:15 AM
R2-D2's army of death

This Kony 2012 thing is really starting to get on my nerves. The guy is in retirement FFS and the LRA has terrorized Uganda, the DRC, and Sudan for years, but people are only starting to care now. Also, the video is so utterly pretentious that it made me want to stop watching only a few minutes in.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:38 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
This Kony 2012 thing is really starting to get on my nerves. The guy is in retirement FFS and the LRA has terrorized Uganda, the DRC, and Sudan for years, but people are only starting to care now. Also, the video is so utterly pretentious that it made me want to stop watching only a few minutes in.
Not only that, the teenagers I know are so fucking out-of-the-loop, that they didn't even BOTHER looking up what else the LRA did in Uganda, or ask questions. Not only that, when I dismiss InvisibleChildren as bullshit, they go Vic Toews on me and say I'm against children. Lets see how they react when Canada gets put in Americas iron target next.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:41 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
The Kony campaign is a huge SCAM!

2.5 Billion Liters of Oil in Uganda. If Kony has been at it for the past 8 years why only now during 2012 has a US "non-profit*" decided to go after him? My guess would be it's a perfect time for the debt-choked US to get some free oil. It's also the perfect time for the feds to interfere with Chinese business ventures in Africa. Moreover, the entire fabricated cause would be brought up by the lamestream media in debates and news columns to make Ron Paul appear heartless for not wanting to infringe on other nations soverignty with military intervention. More propoganda for the big bankers and military industrial complex to re-elect/elect puppet Obama, Gingrich, Romney or Santorum. Just read between the lines people! If this isn't the NWO at work I don't know what is!

*30% of donations make it to the cause

Infowars.com should be all over it by tommorow.

Hopefully theres a way to support an alternate organization/volunteer militia to stop this sicko (assuming the bait story is real)

It's sick they'd use these childrens' hellish lives to push their propoganda. Sick world we live in. Makes me seriously question even having kids of my own.

[/rant over and out]
I can't believe those people. Just wait, we're next. They're gonna make a movie about Harper, make 100000001 posters and then bomb the crap out of Winnipeg. I can't BELIEVE these people haven't been called out sooner

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 9:40 PM
Website Manager

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 10:03 PM
An Optimistic Realist

So you guys want to pass a good chance to actually be a part of a worldwide event?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 10:26 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
So you guys want to pass a good chance to actually be a part of a worldwide event?
If taking part in Manichean fantasies sounds like your cup of tea, drink!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Yea... Fuck that.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 10:34 PM

I feel like I need to say something about this here, because I've held in saying it on many of my friends post again the whole Kony thing. People who are against it really are just against anything that is mainstream. Seriously making fun of people who share the video is kind of embarrassing (for them). Who cares if they didn't research it before? It's not like I research most stuff I post on my Facebook wall. And to be honest, I didn't know about this before the social media campaign, and I do now, so obviously it has done a good job at raising awareness. It just bugs me that people (usually younger than me, I guess they just haven't matured) get so defensive about people sharing this. They'll mention other problems in the world, and that's fine, but would you rather me just not share anything at all instead of this 1 video? 30% is actually good, considering what many other charities donations go to the actual cause.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada